Old 14-06-2011, 08:42 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: Torquay S. Devon
Default Devon sorb

Sacha wrote:
I've just ordered one of these for Ray as an anniversary present. *
Heaven knows what it will be like but apparently, the fruits are
edible. *

We had 'Devon Beauty' at the training centre. Very nice small tree,
but don't think about biting into the fruits before they're over-ripe
or have been frosted. When ready, they have a very pleasant, slightly
'figgy' flavour, but eaten too soon and they give a new meaning to the
word astringent! As with almost all of the large fruited Sorbus, they
are best treated like a medlar and used after they've been frosted.
Old 14-06-2011, 10:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: Torquay S. Devon

Sacha wrote:
I thought I saw you in the nursery at the week end but by the
time I got down there 'you' had gone! *I'm assuming it wasn't you
because I think someone would have told me!

No, it wasn't me - I'd always pop in anyway. Once June is out of the
way, I'll have a bit more free time and will come over. I've just had
a quick look at the Dartington Agroforestry site. They've even got a
few things that interest me! It's very ambitious - I have expected to
see Citrus amongst that lot, but no I'll content myself with one or
two figs. Speaking of Citrus, my Valencia orange, which I've had for
quite a few years and have never afforded it any protection, is making
a stupendous recovery after last winter and the first flowers are
starting to open. Admittedly they're a month or so later than normal,
but it did get a hell of a pasting in December. My limequat died
though, so there's nothing to stick in the gin!
Old 15-06-2011, 07:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: Torquay S. Devon

Sacha, if you're going to Hidcote, then you must scamper over to
Kiftsgate Court. It's barely a few minutes walk away and when I knew
it in Diany Binny's day, it was the perfect anti-dote to the formal
precision of Hidcote. Wonderful roses, remarkable tender plants and
spectacular vistas, it was my favourite in those days. I remember
that on my first visit, I was captivated by a stunning, single, white
rose with carmine stamens. It was 'White Wings' - a single Hybrid Tea
with svelte buds to die for, after which the petals expand in a
carefree fashion, revealing the dusky boss within. Oh dear, I knew I
shouldn't have had that last pint!!! Of course the original
'Kiftsgate' rose was discovered there back in Diany's mother's time
and it remains a de rigeur planting in all country house gardens large
enough to accommodate it. Anyway, the glory of Kiftsgate is that it
is still run by the same family with Diany's daughter now carrying the
torch.
Old 16-06-2011, 06:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , Sacha
writes
This is when I hope we get to Hidcote, too. I say all this just to be
sure that you don't come while we're away!

Oh pity there's no definite date, we could all have accompanied you for
the day AND gone round Kiftsgate
--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph
Old 21-06-2011, 06:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , Sacha
writes
We slightly re-arranged our Tresco trip to be able to meet someone who
wants to go round the garden with Ray and discuss Edward Hyams the
garden designer, the man, the writer and the anarchist. This will be a
busy day but an interesting one. After that, we can plan the next
trip, I hope!

Three friends went to Hidcote last week, keen gardeners they were
disappointed with Hidcote said it was a bit tired and not up to what
they were expecting. Kiftsgate on the other hand was apparently to die
for !

Old 21-06-2011, 07:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Three friends went to Hidcote last week, keen gardeners they were
disappointed with Hidcote said it was a bit tired and not up to what
they were expecting. Kiftsgate on the other hand was apparently to die
for !
--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph
http://www.lancedal.demon.co.uk

I wish I had been interested in gardening when I worked at Kiftsgate :-)

kate