Old 24-06-2011, 09:54 PM
Registered User

Default Growing rambler through established apple tree?

Is there any chance of establishing a rose when the apple tree is mature? Will the roots find any space? The tree is a healthy 3m by 3m. The site is sunny and fairly exposed.

Thank you
Old 24-06-2011, 11:04 PM
kay kay is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laura Corin View Post
Is there any chance of establishing a rose when the apple tree is mature? Will the roots find any space? The tree is a healthy 3m by 3m. The site is sunny and fairly exposed.

Thank you
Plant the rose at the edge of the tree canopy and guide it up in to the tree from there. Make sure you don't plant too vigorous a rose else it will swamp the apple - in my experience, roses tend to grow 50% to 100% more than the label says.
__________________
Old 24-06-2011, 11:20 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by kay View Post
Make sure you don't plant too vigorous a rose else it will swamp the apple - in my experience, roses tend to grow 50% to 100% more than the label says.
Thanks. Our garden is pretty exposed, so plants don't tend to reach full height, but I'll watch out anyway. Any suggestions? Scented and very tough would be good.
Old 24-06-2011, 11:58 PM
kay kay is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laura Corin View Post
Thanks. Our garden is pretty exposed, so plants don't tend to reach full height, but I'll watch out anyway. Any suggestions? Scented and very tough would be good.
No, I can only tell you the ones to avoid!

Kiftsgate, obviously.
Rambling Rector - I've seen that completely bury a bigger apple tree than yours.

Three that we have that haven't proved totally overwhelming:

Pauls Himalayan Musk has a good scent and masses of tiny pink flowers. I don't know how high it goes - we have it doing a very good job of covering a 15ft length of fence.

Emily Gray - apricot coloured flowers and a lovely apple scent. I can't remember where I planted it, but 15 years later its flowers are appearing high in a Sorbus and high in a Crataegus about 15ft away, as well as along the fence in between.

Alister Stella Grey is a creamy yellow one (smaller flowers than Emily Grey, in larger bunches) which seems unkillable.
__________________
Old 25-06-2011, 06:57 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

--
Laura Corin

Rambling roes and other climbing plants are designed to flourish in
such conditions. You will have very little problem, especially with
the less hybridised ones, ie (nearer to nature). The tree might have a
problem in a few years.

Old 25-06-2011, 08:24 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Introduction

"Laura Corin" wrote in message

I'm glad to have found this site - I certainly could do with some
advice. We moved to Fife about three years ago and bought a house. It
has more garden than we would have chosen, but we needed to buy fast. I
haven't gardened much in the past, but I watched my mother garden when I
was small.

The garden is about three acres. One acre around the house, which has
an area fenced against rabbits; one acre of field/wildflowers, with
newly-planted fruit trees; one acre of sycamore windbreak which we have
thinned and replanted with native species. We are on the top of small
hill with a south-west oriented valley on one side and the North Sea
five miles to the east on the other, so the garden is pretty exposed.
We have some leylandii windbreak planting to the south west of the
rabbit-fenced area, but are growing a deciduous windbreak to replace it
in a few years.

This summer's plans: husband is felling another windbreak so that we can
replant with something more attractive. Meanwhile I'm planning the new
windbreak planting, admiring a new bed I just planted, and dreaming
about a willow garden beyond the fruit trees in a hollow.

Laura,

welcome - sounds as though you have a lot of scope to experiment.

One thing - leylandii do have a lot of bad press but they do make very good
windbreaks.
Do you really want to replace an evergreen windbreak with a deciduous
windbreak?
I would have thought you would need the protection over winter at least as
much as in the summer and they do make a very dense high hedge.

Cheers

Dave R
[Not even bunny]

Helmuth von Moltke the Elder

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

Old 25-06-2011, 08:25 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Laura Corin" wrote

[...]

Welcome to this Newsgroup (please Google it).
I envy you your space but not your position, Leylandii do not make good
windbreaks in exposed positions, I've seen one planted in north Cornwall
that has taken such a battering it had to be removed before it started to do
it's job. Best to ask at a local Forestry Supplier or tree nursery which
trees are suitable for your position.
Some sites I found....

http://www.gcnursery.co.uk/windbreak.html (but not all suggested will be
suitable for you)

http://apps.rhs.org.uk/advicesearch/...e.aspx?pid=624

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 25-06-2011, 08:38 AM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by kay View Post
No, I can only tell you the ones to avoid!
Thank you! I'll have a look at the ones you mention.
Old 25-06-2011, 08:49 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

..

snip

This summer's plans: husband is felling another windbreak so that we can
replant with something more attractive. Meanwhile I'm planning the new
windbreak planting, admiring a new bed I just planted, and dreaming
about a willow garden beyond the fruit trees in a hollow.

Laura,

welcome - sounds as though you have a lot of scope to experiment.

One thing - leylandii do have a lot of bad press but they do make very good
windbreaks.
Do you really want to replace an evergreen windbreak with a deciduous
windbreak?
I would have thought you would need the protection over winter at least as
much as in the summer and they do make a very dense high hedge.

Cheers

Dave R
I agree with Dave R re. Leylandii making a very good windbreak, we have a
row of old ones and they provide brilliant shelter, I would not be without
them.

kate

Old 25-06-2011, 01:57 PM
Registered User

Quote:
..

Laura,

welcome - sounds as though you have a lot of scope to experiment.

One thing - leylandii do have a lot of bad press but they do make very good
windbreaks.
Do you really want to replace an evergreen windbreak with a deciduous
windbreak?
I would have thought you would need the protection over winter at least as
much as in the summer and they do make a very dense high hedge.

Cheers

Dave R
Thanks for the welcome. We are moving the windbreak further out, away from the patio. The current windbreak (which is over five metres tall) throws a lot of shade onto what should be a south-facing sun trap.

We are going for deciduous rather than evergreen on the wind-filtering rather than wind-blocking principle. As the windbreak is going to be further back, a solid one is more likely to lead to the wind bouncing over and landing hard just where we want our sun-loving plants to be. Or that's the theory. We shall see.

Thanks again

Laura

Old 25-06-2011, 02:12 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Hobden View Post
I envy you your space but not your position, Leylandii do not make good
windbreaks in exposed positions, I've seen one planted in north Cornwall
that has taken such a battering it had to be removed before it started to do
it's job. Best to ask at a local Forestry Supplier or tree nursery which
trees are suitable for your position.
Thanks - yes we are pretty exposed but we love the views. We asked a local gardener with experience in windbreak planting. He suggested birch and rowan with underplanting of wild roses, amelanchier and a few other things. Parts of it were planted eighteen months ago and seem to be coping with the wind fine so far. They are in tubes to protect them from rabbits, and some of the trees are taller than I am (not hard).

The space: well it was a bit overwhelming at the beginning. The last place we lived was on the 67th floor of a tower block in Hong Kong. I'm starting to get more of a handle on which areas to leave to get on with it, and which areas to try to control. For example, I spent a lot of time in the first year reducing the number of nettles in the woody bit - this year I haven't had to work on this at all. I left a large area still nettly for the butterflies, but reduced the rest so that the children could ramble through. We also planted new fruit trees in the first year, only to have the whole apple crop neatly eaten by deer. Oh well - we live in the country and deer are to be expected. One day the trees will be too tall for the deer to reach the fruit.

Off to plant some herbs in pots and weed my newly planted bed in front of the house.

Thanks again,

Laura
Old 25-06-2011, 04:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Bob Hobden;927859 Wrote:

[...]

Hi Laura

Your comment on living on the 67th floor. ... ;-}

Not much of a view if you are in the wrong side :-( or garden, at all !!

http://www.myalbum.com/Album-8ZXGXBC...-of-Other.html

Was there on a World Cruise in 2006

Mike

Old 25-06-2011, 09:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Kate Morgan" wrote in message
o.uk...

.

snip

[...]

The problem with Leylandii is they are often planted in inappropriate
places, small gardens where they get out of control and they do get very bad
press. Laura sounds like she has plenty of room for them and they are
effective windbreaks.
I have some Lawson's cypress, which are similar and I love them. They are
brilliant for birds to nest in and goldcrests love them too.
I agree with Dave and Kate. I'd definitely keep them in a garden of that
size.

Tina

Old 30-06-2011, 08:47 AM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet View Post

That was good advice. To it, I would add hawthorn and hazel; they can
both survive the high winds and salt. So will beech, topped to make a low
spreading bush. A tip to speed the establishment of your permanent
shelter, is to plant a nurse crop of shrubby willows (very cheap from
forestry suppliers). They are very fast but not long lived in Scotland, so
provide earely shelter for the slower stuff then tactfully die off as the
natives get going. I did this in rural Stirlingshire and it worked a
treat.

Janet (Arran)
Thanks for the advice. Yes, we have quite a bit of hawthorn too, but not hazel or beech - I'll look into it.

When you say 'shrubby willow', is that a particular variety (excuse my ignorance) or is it a willow coppiced as a shrub?

Many thanks

Laura

attaching rambler to house H Ryder United Kingdom 5 25-04-2006 03:55 PM
Climbing/Rambler Roses Jeanne Stockdale United Kingdom 2 07-11-2005 06:14 PM
Rambler rose source rosemarie face Roses 2 09-04-2004 04:32 AM
Need Rambler to go over shed Roses 1 13-08-2003 05:04 AM
Kew Rambler (Cass!) Climbing Red Rose? Radika Kesavan Roses 7 20-04-2003 05:46 PM