Old 09-07-2011, 05:02 PM
QueenAnkh's Avatar
Registered User

Location: UK
Question Cayenne Chillies UK

Hi,
To anyone out there growing these chillies: how long do they take to flower from planting?
I have five plants growing and I've had them potted for about two months. I have just planted two outside and have three who'll be staying in the greenhouse. They are well watered and the soil is good; am I doing anything wrong?
I'm a newbie gardener and am kinda unsure about any skills I could have.

Please help!!

QueenAnkh
Old 11-07-2011, 04:24 PM
Registered User

Location: Chalfont St Giles

Quote:
Originally Posted by QueenAnkh View Post
Hi,
To anyone out there growing these chillies: how long do they take to flower from planting?
I have five plants growing and I've had them potted for about two months. I have just planted two outside and have three who'll be staying in the greenhouse. They are well watered and the soil is good; am I doing anything wrong?
How quickly they flower depends how much sunlight and warmth they get. Chillies are usually given timings from first potting (two pairs of proper leaves stage) on after germination to fruiting with timings like 70 to 90 days, but these are timings when grown in the warmth/light intensity of New Mexico. It takes longer in cool climates.

What do you mean "had them potted for about two months"? My usual timetable for chillies/peppers is to sow seeds in individual seed capsules, Feb/Mar, in heated propagator (important - use anti damping off spray), take out of propagator and put on windowsill when germinated, then pot on when at the two-proper-leaves stage large enough into half-litre to litre yogurt pots, typically mid April, still on the windowsill, then pot on into 3 to 7 litre pots late May, and put outside, exact timing depending on weather forecast. It has been cool much of June, so flowering has set back this year in comparison to most previous years. I've only recently had some set fruit, but in a good June it could have been a month earlier.

Chillies don't like being in an over-sized pot to start with, so some people do another intermediate potting on stage, but I find 3 is fine. But they do need finally to be in a large pot, at least 3 litres - that would do for a miniature variety - they do grow quicker in a larger pot. 10 litres isn't too large for a vigorous variety.

If your "potting" 2 months ago was equivalent to my first potting on in mid April, into half to one litre, then you are a month off the pace. They need to be potted on now to a large pot.

Did you put the outdoor ones in the ground? This is not a good idea, unless you have a roasting bed. They need warm soil temps and putting them in the ground usually holds them back. Black plastic pots is best. Even this year I have one in a terracotta pot, and it is doing less well than the black plastic ones, simply because it is cooler I suppose, I treated it the same otherwise.

They do need a lot of warmth and sunlight. I have mine lined up in pots against a south-facing brick wall. Last year I had some on a south facing wall and some on a westfacing wall (get the sun later but have it longer in the evening when it is warmer), and the ones on the south-facing wall were ultimately a couple of weeks ahead of the west-facing ones.
Old 14-07-2011, 03:06 PM
QueenAnkh's Avatar
Registered User

Location: UK
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by echinosum View Post
How quickly they flower depends how much sunlight and warmth they get
They are in the sunniest spot I could find in a south facing garden. Three are in a greenhouse, doing quite well, not flowered but looking strong. The other two are doing okay, again not flowering but actually growing. i thought outside would kill them but I haven't yet so there's a bonus!

[/quote]What do you mean "had them potted for about two months"? My usual timetable for chillies/peppers is to sow seeds in individual seed capsules, Feb/Mar, in heated propagator (important - use anti damping off spray), take out of propagator and put on windowsill when germinated, then pot on when at the two-proper-leaves stage large enough into half-litre to litre yogurt pots, typically mid April, still on the windowsill, then pot on into 3 to 7 litre pots late May, and put outside, exact timing depending on weather forecast.[/quote]

I'm not using lights because they are way to expensive for me I'm sharing a greenhouse!

[/quote]It has been cool much of June, so flowering has set back this year in comparison to most previous years. I've only recently had some set fruit, but in a good June it could have been a month earlier.[/quote]

Does this mean mine COULD flower by August if the weather keeps up? I plan to use some and dry any excess out (fingers crossed!)

[/quote]If your "potting" 2 months ago was equivalent to my first potting on in mid April, into half to one litre, then you are a month off the pace. They need to be potted on now to a large pot.[/quote]

I first potted them about April and planted them in the greenhouse/garden about two weeks ago and they're doing okay.

[/quote]Did you put the outdoor ones in the ground? This is not a good idea, unless you have a roasting bed. They need warm soil temps and putting them in the ground usually holds them back. Black plastic pots is best.[/quote]

I have put them in the ground but it is in a sunny spot with well drained soil. Again, they are doing okay.

[/quote]They do need a lot of warmth and sunlight.[/quote]

I have put them in the best spots I could. In the greenhouse, they're in a sunny-all-day-long spot with canes to guide them. Fingers crossed!
Thanks for your help, it's nice to see I haven't killed them!
Old 15-07-2011, 09:15 AM
Registered User

Location: Chalfont St Giles

Quote:
Originally Posted by QueenAnkh View Post
I first potted them about April and planted them in the greenhouse/garden about two weeks ago and they're doing okay.
To do better next year, start sooner then, so you can do the final potting on 4-6 weeks sooner.

And grow them in containers, not the ground. Yes, they will grow in the ground, but they will do better in containers. I got much more chillies off my container plants than my in-the-ground plants when I tried a comparison.

Unfortunately the cool weather persists and maybe I won't get much of mine either this year.
Old 19-07-2011, 10:40 AM
QueenAnkh's Avatar
Registered User

Location: UK
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by echinosum View Post
To do better next year, start sooner then, so you can do the final potting on 4-6 weeks sooner.

And grow them in containers, not the ground. Yes, they will grow in the ground, but they will do better in containers. I got much more chillies off my container plants than my in-the-ground plants when I tried a comparison.

Unfortunately the cool weather persists and maybe I won't get much of mine either this year.
Thanks, I'll have to remember that! By in containers, do you mean pots? Sorry but I'm not very good at this whole gardening thing.

Shame about the weather here in the UK, wish it was better for growing chillies!!

Thanks!

QueenAnkh

Cayenne Pepper in the Garden [email protected] Edible Gardening 2 03-04-2008 10:48 PM
Blc Cayenne K Barrett Orchid Photos 3 27-11-2007 01:03 PM
Preserving Cayenne Peppers Jo M Edible Gardening 9 07-11-2004 03:16 PM
Preserving Cayenne Peppers Jo M Edible Gardening 0 06-11-2004 06:15 AM
Cayenne Tincture Recipe EV Edible Gardening 0 29-10-2004 08:41 AM