Old 21-07-2011, 12:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Water Lily problems

About a month ago we bought a pond lily: Nymphaea Marliacea Alblda in
aquatic compost of 100% clay granules it said on the packet.

The instructions were to remove fish put lily in pond and wait util the
water clears, then replace fish.

Since its difficult to find a place for the gold fish we left them in the
pond (or more accurately a large water storage tank about 4' x 4' x 5') and
put the lily in a large bucket (with a couple of goldfish to eat the worms
that are eating the leaves) and we occaisionaly run water through it to
clear the water, which is still going very cloudy.

Having just read the packet again more carefully it says *not* to change the
water to get rid of the cloudiness and let it clear naturally.

What causes this cloudiness ? And we wonder why we are still getting it a
month later. Grateful for any suggestions as to what we should do next.
Thanks.

Old 21-07-2011, 01:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Thu, 21 Jul 2011 12:48:21 +0100, "john wesley"
wrote:

[...]

The clay granules make the water cloudy. It will eventually clear
unless there is water turbulence caused by a waterfall or fountain.

Steve

--
Neural network software applications, help and support.

Neural Planner Software www.NPSL1.com
Old 21-07-2011, 06:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Jul 21, 12:48*pm, "john wesley" wrote:
[...]

Goldfish, being carp, love to dig in the soil. You have to put stones
on top of the container soil to prevent this.
Bigger stone for bigger fish.

You will probably get green algae too. Caused by nitrogen from the
fish crap. You need a water treatment sytem to clear this.
Old 21-07-2011, 10:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"john wesley" wrote in message
[...]

Part of the cloudiness is being caused by the fish digging, part by the
algae which feeds on nutrients in the water, the reason not to change the
water is that eventually the lily will start growing and use a lot of these
nutrients plus its leaves will expand and cut the light available to the
algae. by changing the water you are constantly adding more nutrient which
will stop the water having a chance to clear, too many fish make getting the
balance right hard as well.

--
Charlie, Gardening in Cornwall
and Lapageria rosea cvs

Old 22-07-2011, 10:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"harry" wrote in message
[...]

A couple of bags of Daphnea from your local pet shop or fish food suplier
will soon clear any algae

The Daphnea will probably turn green having eaten the algae.

Bill