Old 25-07-2011, 06:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Cucumbers

I have some cucumber plants, only about 15 inches high so far. I
haven't been feeding them, should I do so?

Art

Old 26-07-2011, 08:54 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Jul 25, 6:39*pm, Art wrote:
I have some cucumber plants, only about 15 inches high so far. *I
haven't been feeding them, should I do so?

Art

Too many variables for good reply :-)
Old 26-07-2011, 10:35 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Art" wrote in message

I have some cucumber plants, only about 15 inches high so far. I
haven't been feeding them, should I do so?

Do they look hungry?
e.g. leaves pale green to yellow, plant not growing much
Do they look thirsty?
e.g. leaves limp in the sunshine (if any)?

As already suggested, without knowing the variety, growing medium, location
(indoor/outdoor) and your location it is difficult to give much practical
advice.

Cheers

Dave R
[Not even bunny]

Helmuth von Moltke the Elder

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

Old 26-07-2011, 10:54 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

On Jul 25, 6:39*pm, Art wrote:
I have some cucumber plants, only about 15 inches high so far. *I
haven't been feeding them, should I do so?

Art

YES, Feed them
Old 26-07-2011, 01:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Tue, 26 Jul 2011 02:54:35 -0700 (PDT), Dave Hill
wrote:

On Jul 25, 6:39*pm, Art wrote:
I have some cucumber plants, only about 15 inches high so far. *I
haven't been feeding them, should I do so?

Art

YES, Feed them

Thanks - Miracle Grow OK?

Art.

Old 26-07-2011, 02:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

wrote:
On Jul 25, 6:39 pm, Art wrote:
I have some cucumber plants, only about 15 inches high so far. I
haven't been feeding them, should I do so?

Art

YES, Feed them

Thanks *- Miracle *Grow OK?

Art.

Should be fine, when I was growing cucumbers commercially we used to
feed every 2 weeks through the growing season.
Old 26-07-2011, 02:18 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Art wrote in
:

wrote:

On Jul 25, 6:39*pm, Art wrote:
I have some cucumber plants, only about 15 inches high so far. *I
haven't been feeding them, should I do so?

Art

YES, Feed them

Thanks - Miracle Grow OK?

Art.

Miracle grow should be ok but a good dollop of compost from your heap a few
weeks ago would have done the deed.
Negative I know, but next year you should treat them to the stuff, as much
as you can.
Also it does not matter really how big the plants are, it matters more if
they have flowers on them because the flowers will set into cucumbers.

Have your plants got flowers? or even small cucumbers?

Mine were late starters this year and I have so few on them so it might be
a bad year for cucs. I am no expert but I do keep an eye on other peoples
veg. gardens and I can't see many cucs. this year. Only in glasshouses. So
don't beat yourself up.

Baz
Old 26-07-2011, 04:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Baz wrote:
Miracle grow should be ok but a good dollop of compost from your heap a few
weeks ago would have done the deed.

Pfft, you say it would do good, but my poor composted bean patch is
overgrown with potato plants and pumpkin plants now!!

Old 27-07-2011, 12:07 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
NT NT is offline

On Jul 25, 6:39*pm, Art wrote:
I have some cucumber plants, only about 15 inches high so far. *I
haven't been feeding them, should I do so?

Art

Generally cucurbits (sp?) like masses of food. So if in doubt, yes.

NT
Old 27-07-2011, 03:20 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Mon, 25 Jul 2011 18:39:22 +0100, Art
wrote:

I have some cucumber plants, only about 15 inches high so far. I
haven't been feeding them, should I do so?

Art

Thanks for responses. There are small cucumbers on the plants: I have
started feeding with Miraclegrow.

Old 03-08-2011, 05:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote in
:

Baz wrote:
Miracle grow should be ok but a good dollop of compost from your heap
a few weeks ago would have done the deed.

Pfft, you say it would do good, but my poor composted bean patch is
overgrown with potato plants and pumpkin plants now!!

Well you have not composted long enough. A good compost left long enough
would not grow potatoes. Don't know about pumpkin seeds but should be inert
I would have thought after a year or 2.
Don't be lazy, get the hoe out. Once or twice should do it and you have to
hoe anyway?

Baz
Old 03-08-2011, 09:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Baz wrote:
Pfft, you say it would do good, but my poor composted bean patch is
overgrown with potato plants and pumpkin plants now!!

Well you have not composted long enough. A good compost left long enough
would not grow potatoes.

We have potatoes growing out of hte compost bin most of the year!
Everywhere on the allotment is covered in potatoes, everywerhe on the garden
is full of potatoes! Bloody things are everywhere!!

Don't know about pumpkin seeds but should be inert
I would have thought after a year or 2.

Think it's actually a spaghetti squash, now it's fruited. Got a lovely
fruit from it.

Don't be lazy, get the hoe out. Once or twice should do it and you have to
hoe anyway?

Very very rarely hoe anything. The beans are still unweedy enough that I
can pull by hand. I think the leafy potatoes and squash have kept the shade
and restricted most weeds. It's working quite well, tbh.
(don't forget, it's recommended growing beans/sweetcorn/squash together -
I've found the 3 together doesn't work, but combinations of the 2 do ..
this year I've got the squash accidentally under the beans, but also
courgettes deliberately with sweetcorn, and pumpkins deliberately with baby
sweetcorn, and both are doing really well.)