Old 04-08-2011, 06:56 PM
Registered User

Default turfing

just moved house and the front garden has got large cobbles on it with a membrane underneath.looks horrible and i wish too returf it.Weeds are all coming through the membrane and is definetly a bodge up.I moved some cobbles today and cut part of the membrane too see what was underneath and it is basically pure mud .Can i just remove all cobbles and turf on top of the mud or do i need too add soil before turfing.It is all pretty level so no problems there.Any advise greatly appreciated.
Old 05-08-2011, 10:54 PM
Registered User

Location: Lanner. Cornwall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by turfman View Post
just moved house and the front garden has got large cobbles on it with a membrane underneath.looks horrible and i wish too returf it.Weeds are all coming through the membrane and is definetly a bodge up.I moved some cobbles today and cut part of the membrane too see what was underneath and it is basically pure mud .Can i just remove all cobbles and turf on top of the mud or do i need too add soil before turfing.It is all pretty level so no problems there.Any advise greatly appreciated.
Hi Turfman. Firstly, advertise these cobbles and I'm sure there will be someone who will not only pay you money but take them away as well ?? Secondly, always when you lift a membrane thats been covered with cobbles, the soil looks awful ? so, get rid of the cobbles, remove the membrane and let this 'mud' dry out. I doubt wether you will need any more soil but it will need lightly cultivating and levelling ! before turfing. Turf will do well on a heavy soil but remember at this time of year, you will need to water any newly laid turf every day to stop it shrinking.
Lannerman.

Re-turfing near tree roots jeremy67 Lawns 2 09-03-2009 02:08 PM
Turfing on top of existing grass ? adm United Kingdom 9 23-02-2006 09:13 PM
Lawn turfing Chris United Kingdom 4 10-05-2004 01:07 AM
Decking and turfing - help! have they done it right? xtinexoop United Kingdom 2 08-05-2003 10:44 AM
Re-turfing a lawn Rocket United Kingdom 2 03-03-2003 08:29 AM