Old 02-08-2011, 12:17 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default weather and climate

Hello,
I'm planning a visit the UK. Can anyone give information regarding
weather and climate conditions during October . Are gardens still open
for visiting -- leaves till on trees, Autumn colour?
Any advice much appreciated.

Dvd
Old 02-08-2011, 07:45 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Aug 2, 12:17*am, Dave wrote:
Hello,
I'm planning a *visit the UK. Can anyone give information regarding
weather and climate conditions during October . Are gardens still open
for visiting -- leaves till on trees, Autumn colour?
Any advice much appreciated.

Dvd

In October you are on the boundary of the dodgy weather season. ie
rain.
Our weather is very unpredictble, in October it could go either way,
no-one can say.
Bit early for Autumn colour except in the North of the country. Autumn
colour is unpredictable here too in any case.

You just have to take your chances weatherwise if you come here. (Any
time of year)
Old 02-08-2011, 08:26 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Mon, 1 Aug 2011 23:45:30 -0700 (PDT), harry wrote:

Our weather is very unpredictble, in October it could go either way,
no-one can say.

It's pretty unpredictable most of the time...

By October it is starting to cool, we expect the first snow falls end
of October early November but we are at 1400' (high for living in the
UK) on the North Pennines.

Climate will depend on where you are, cooler in the north warmer in
the south with about a 10C range N to S. The south could still be
seeing 20C daytime temps in Oct but more likely 15 to 20. The west
will be generally wetter than the east.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Old 02-08-2011, 08:48 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Dave" wrote

Hello,
I'm planning a visit the UK. Can anyone give information regarding
weather and climate conditions during October . Are gardens still open
for visiting -- leaves till on trees, Autumn colour?
Any advice much appreciated.

I presume you are posting from Canada by your address. Whilst most of your
Country has a Continental type climate and is quite predictable ours is a
Maritime climate governed by the Gulf Stream and very unpredictable such
that one town can have blue sky and the next heavy rain, one part of the
country can have temperatures in the low teens and other parts be in the 20s
and the next day it can reverse. It's why it's said if you can live here you
can live anywhere.
There are some generalisations though, the West is usually wetter than the
East and has slightly milder winters, the East is usually hotter especially
the South East whilst the North is generally colder.
October we are into Autumn, if we get an Indian Summer it can still be
glorious but it can also be winter like. Most gardens will be looking a bit
sad by then with most plants well past their best and some going into winter
dormancy. Yes there should be autumn colour about.

-- Regards
Bob Hobden
W.of London. UK

Old 02-08-2011, 08:56 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article o.uk,
Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Mon, 1 Aug 2011 23:45:30 -0700 (PDT), harry wrote:

Our weather is very unpredictble, in October it could go either way,
no-one can say.

It's pretty unpredictable most of the time...

By October it is starting to cool, we expect the first snow falls end
of October early November but we are at 1400' (high for living in the
UK) on the North Pennines.

Climate will depend on where you are, cooler in the north warmer in
the south with about a 10C range N to S. The south could still be
seeing 20C daytime temps in Oct but more likely 15 to 20. The west
will be generally wetter than the east.

Cripes, you're optimistic! Typical daytime temperatures in the
south in October are not that high. Try 10-20, with even lower
ones possible.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Old 02-08-2011, 09:11 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

harry wrote:
I'm planning a ?visit the UK. Can anyone give information regarding
weather and climate conditions during October . Are gardens still open
for visiting -- leaves till on trees, Autumn colour?
Any advice much appreciated.

In October you are on the boundary of the dodgy weather season. ie
rain.

As opposed to ... early August, which appears to have more rain than the
the whole of spring? :-/
Old 02-08-2011, 09:18 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Dave" wrote in message
Hello,
I'm planning a visit the UK. Can anyone give information regarding
weather and climate conditions during October . Are gardens still open
for visiting -- leaves till on trees, Autumn colour?
Any advice much appreciated.

Dvd

I couldn't possibly predict the weather but I can recommend somewhere to
enjoy a bit of auntumn colour.

Google - Westonbirt Arboretum - check this web-site

http://www.forestry.gov.uk/website/f...ue/infd-8j9ce8

Hope this helps.

Bill

Old 02-08-2011, 11:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Mike Lyle wrote:

But one thing to note is that away from the mountains, this isn't
really as rainy a country as we tend to think: it's just that it can
happen at any time of year. Ask anybody how many times they get rained
on while walking from the station to the office, and both you and they
might be surprised to find how dry it usually is. It rains more in
Sydney than in Carmarthen, for example, and far more in New York City
than in London: the catch is its tactless timing, and there can be
long periods of rainless grey skies.

That is true, but there is another factor - outside high summer,
there is very little evaporation, due to the weak sunlight and
(in winter) short days.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 02-08-2011, 11:14 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

On 2011-08-02 00:17:56 +0100, Dave said:

Hello,
I'm planning a visit the UK. Can anyone give information regarding
weather and climate conditions during October . Are gardens still open
for visiting -- leaves till on trees, Autumn colour?
Any advice much appreciated.

Dvd

There's little hope of being able to give you a straight answer. Our
weather is unpredictable, to say the least, and can be different within
a 3 mile distance - or even less! In October, we can often enjoy mild,
sunny days but leaf colour is rarely as striking here as it is in e.g.
USA. In the south, leaves are usually still on the trees. As to
gardens being open, lots stay open until the end of October. If you
want to see e.g. National Trust properties and RHS ones, each
organisation has its own web site with full details of opening times
and days of each property. I always tell friends to bring layers of
clothing so they can top up or strip off, according to requirements!
If you're going to visit gardens, it might be worth buying a really
cheap pair of wellies when you're here and discarding them when you
leave. They're bulky things to pack!

Old 10-08-2011, 09:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Aug 2, 6:03*pm, wrote:
In article ,
Mike Lyle wrote:

But one thing to note is that away from the mountains, this isn't
really as rainy a country as we tend to think: it's just that it can
happen at any time of year. Ask anybody how many times they get rained
on while walking from the station to the office, and both you and they
might be surprised to find how dry it usually is. It rains more in
Sydney than in Carmarthen, for example, and far more in New York City
than in London: the catch is its tactless timing, and there can be
long periods of rainless grey skies.

That is true, but there is another factor - outside high summer,
there is very little evaporation, due to the weak sunlight and
(in winter) short days.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Thank you everyone for taking the time to respond. I know I'll be
chancing the weather, but at least I have some idea now.
Cheers,

Dvd