Old 06-08-2011, 11:55 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Impatiens - Au Revoir or Goodbye?

Having spent much of yesterday digging up all my impatiens, which have
succumbed to that fungus this year, and then buying up any remaining
decent bedding in the local garden centre to fill the more visible
gaps, it was heartening to read in Amateur Gardening today a
prediction that impatiens "could die out" within five years. Seems
that T&M are researching alternatives "in case".

I've got something in my head that I've read somewhere that other
plants are also possibly susceptible to this "downy mildew" fungus and
shouldn't be planted where impatiens have been affected. But I can't
remember where I read this and what plants were mentioned. Does this
ring a bell with anyone else?

I wonder if there is something in the fact that of late the regular
Amateur Gardening emails have stopped and the publishers have started
sending me Angling Times ones instead?

Cheers
Jake
Gardening at the dry end (east) of Swansea Bay
in between reading anything by JRR Tolkien.

www.rivendell.org.uk
Old 06-08-2011, 04:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sat, 06 Aug 2011 11:55:01 +0100, Jake Nospam@invalid wrote:

[...]

Very interesting Jake, as I have just been digging up all of mine and
apologising to 3 friends to whom I gave some plants; T&M mail order.
This is the first year I have grown impatiens since the problem they
had, which must be at least 4 years ago?
I shall email T&M. Parkers have just refunded some money for some
inferior plants about which I comlained.

Pam in Bristol
Old 06-08-2011, 09:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sat, 06 Aug 2011 16:58:25 +0100, Pam Moore
wrote:

[...]

The virus has been around for some time - last year a lot of people I
know had impatiens affected but I was lucky. I don't know whether
there is a case against the supplier though I have a feeling that if
the fungus was "imported" with plants, it reached me via T&M "Accent
Mixed" plug plants. I say this merely because other impatiens that are
in wall planters or baskets well away from any of the Accent plants
(and which were grown on separately) are, as yet, unaffected. But I've
lost about 800 plants and now have to think about what I'll plant in
their place next year. Hence my concern about other plants which may
be susceptible.

I have some bedding dahlias planted near the affected impatiens which
also look decidedly sick (the dahlias that is) whilst others from the
same batch growing elsewhere are healthy.

Old 06-08-2011, 10:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

[...]

Well, I emailed T&M and they say they are sorry about the plants but
they can't refund as their plants were "not affected". I sha'n't let
it rest at that! Yes, mine were "Accent mixed" too. I had them in 4
different planters and 4 friends have had some and are similarly
affected, none living nearby.

They emphasise that soil must be disposed of and plants not composted,
but burned or buried deep. It seems these precautions only apply if
you are goiong to grow impatiens again, which I shall not.

Pam in Bristol
Old 07-08-2011, 11:40 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Jake:
Having spent much of yesterday digging up all my impatiens, which have
succumbed to that fungus this year, and then buying up any remaining
decent bedding in the local garden centre to fill the more visible gaps,
it was heartening to read in Amateur Gardening today a prediction that
impatiens "could die out" within five years. Seems that T&M are
researching alternatives "in case".

I've got something in my head that I've read somewhere that other plants
are also possibly susceptible to this "downy mildew" fungus and
shouldn't be planted where impatiens have been affected. But I can't
remember where I read this and what plants were mentioned. Does this
ring a bell with anyone else?

Hi Jake

Could you describe what the fungus looks like?

I've got some impatiens, most of the flowers have gone (usually they last
till 1st frost), the few that are left the pink looks washed out with
white patches. The stems and leaves maybe look a bit yellow/brown but
mostly very light green.

Is this what you're seeing? Do I need to dig up everything & burn? To me
it looks more tattey than disaesed at the min - my natural reaction is to
leave them and see if more flowers come later.

Thanks!

Kate xxx

Old 07-08-2011, 01:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sun, 7 Aug 2011 10:40:29 +0000 (UTC), Kate
wrote:

Jake:
[...]

Hi Kate

Have a look at

http://apps.rhs.org.uk/advicesearch/...e.aspx?pid=205

for their description rather than mine which would be "it looks like
the plants have been attacked heavily by slugs". If it is the fungus
then early action is needed to prevent spread and maybe you shouldn't
grow impatiens next year.

The fungus is supposedly most likely to hit if you plant impatiens in
the same place each year (so you need to "crop rotate" flowers as well
as veg). But in my case, the "same place" argument doesn't apply and a
certain logic suggests it was "introduced" via a particular batch of
plants but it's too early to say anything definite. I have sent some
observations to the supplier and await their response.

Old 07-08-2011, 03:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 07/08/2011 13:31, Jake wrote:
On Sun, 7 Aug 2011 10:40:29 +0000 (UTC),
wrote:

Jake:
[...]

That RHS page states "There are no fungicides available to amateur
gardeners for the control of this disease".

That's not entirely accurate. Amateurs cannot treat the disease once
the plants have it, but spraying with mancozeb (Dithane) can act as a
preventative to infection. See "3 Chemical control options" on the
final page at
http://www.stockbridgeonline.co.uk/w...ldew-guide.pdf

Whether or not you think it worth it to spray with Dithane is another
matter!

--

Jeff
Old 07-08-2011, 03:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

[...]

Good luck! Have a look at "Key steps for prevention" in
http://www.stockbridgeonline.co.uk/w...ldew-guide.pdf,
and ask T&M if they follow that advice. And if not, why not, and what
exactly do they do to prevent spread of infected material?

--

Jeff
Old 07-08-2011, 04:18 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sun, 7 Aug 2011 10:40:29 +0000 (UTC), Kate
wrote:

Jake:
[...]

The plants just stop growing. Flowers shrivel, leaves disappear. All
that was left on mine was pale stems.
What you describe sounds rather like it!
Where did you buy them, and are they "Accent mixed"?

Pam in Bristol
Old 07-08-2011, 04:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sun, 07 Aug 2011 15:41:01 +0100, Jeff Layman
wrote:

On 07/08/2011 13:31, Jake wrote:
On Sun, 7 Aug 2011 10:40:29 +0000 (UTC),
wrote:

Jake:
[...]

Thanks for this Jeff. It would be nice if the blasted fungus gave some
time to react but plants seem to succumb quickly and removing the
immediately affected plant doesn't stop the ones a foot (or six) away
going over the next day. The "white leaf underside" is really an
optional extra - there's no certainty you'll get it. By the time
something shows enough to be noticed it's too late.

Aside from anything else, an issue with using Dithane is that you
would be spraying the plants BEFORE there was any infection. If the
fungus is introduced (as I suspect is the case this year) then the
plants are already infected and Dithane will merely *possibly* control
spread.

Maybe next year I'll stop pulling up all the himalayan balsam - at
least it will fill all my beds, tubs, hanging baskets, gutters, gaps
between pavers and even, don't ask me how, a bit growing from a bit of
dirt at a branch junction in a crab apple tree.

Seriously, I wouldn't have had so many impatiens this year were it not
for the losses of perennials I suffered last winter. I only grew the
imps in bulk in case I needed to fill in gaps, as it turned out I did.
I'll replant the beds with something next spring, not being an autumn
planting fan. It'll be the imps in tubs and baskets that I really miss
next year.

Old 07-08-2011, 05:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Jake:

On Sun, 7 Aug 2011 10:40:29 +0000 (UTC), Kate
wrote:

Jake:
[...]

Thanks Jake.

Looks like I'm done for got the white under the leaves and
everything. We got them from somewhere reputable - I think either Wyvale
or B&Q, can't remember exactly - so wouldnt have expected problems.

Its annoying - we always have impatiens in that spot!! Not the best time
to get a big gap in the border either, dont really want to pay for
fullsize bedding plants this late on, thats if we could even find any
left in the GCs.

Any ideas for seeds that would grow up quickly to get some more colour by
mid-Sept?

Cheers
Kate xxx
Old 08-08-2011, 10:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , Kate
writes
Hi Jake

Could you describe what the fungus looks like?

I've got some impatiens, most of the flowers have gone (usually they last
till 1st frost), the few that are left the pink looks washed out with
white patches. The stems and leaves maybe look a bit yellow/brown but
mostly very light green.

Is this what you're seeing? Do I need to dig up everything & burn? To me
it looks more tattey than disaesed at the min - my natural reaction is to
leave them and see if more flowers come later.

Thanks!

Kate xxx

They tend to look moth-eaten Kate and then just don't grow and slowly
look as if they have been eaten and just wither away. Horticultural news
says that growers may still sell impatiens next year but there is no
cure and some growers fear it's the end for the Bizzy Lizzies and people
just won't buy them.

http://tinyurl.com/44mggh6
for picture

--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph
Old 08-08-2011, 11:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , Kate
writes
Looks like I'm done for got the white under the leaves and
everything. We got them from somewhere reputable - I think either Wyvale
or B&Q, can't remember exactly - so wouldnt have expected problems.

Not the fault of the growers or the retailers Kate, purely a disease of
these plants which is occurring, it happened last year in a smaller way
but now seems to have become prevalent in most areas.

Janet
Old 10-08-2011, 09:55 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

I have some bedding *dahlias planted near the affected impatiens which
also *look decidedly sick (the dahlias that is) whilst others from the
same batch growing elsewhere are healthy.

Cheers
Jake

The Dahlias cant catch the mildew that is hitting the Impatiens, but
they can get another form of mildew, edp. if they are planted in an
area where the air is stagnant, that is not moving.
David
Old 10-08-2011, 11:12 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Wed, 10 Aug 2011 01:55:41 -0700 (PDT), Dave Hill
wrote:

I have some bedding *dahlias planted near the affected impatiens which
also *look decidedly sick (the dahlias that is) whilst others from the
same batch growing elsewhere are healthy.

Cheers
Jake

The Dahlias cant catch the mildew that is hitting the Impatiens, but
they can get another form of mildew, edp. if they are planted in an
area where the air is stagnant, that is not moving.
David

Thanks Dave. The "sick" dahlias show no sign of mildew at all, simply
wilted as if not-watered (which isn't the case) and no new buds.
Probably pure co-incidence that they're in the same container as
impatiens but I wonder whether the sick imps have, in some way, done
something to the compost.