Old 07-08-2011, 10:24 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default How bad is bad?

Martin wrote in
:

On 2011-08-07 08:15:44 +0100, Baz said:

Yesterday the OH and me were in the front garden doing some
weeding when a chap came to me, treading on plants and with a
dodgy attitude asked if I wanted him to fix my roof! I said there
is nothing wrong with the roof and if there was I could fix it. He
went on to ask if I wanted the garden digging! Then did I want the
plastic window frames cleaning! He wouldn't take no for an answer.
Unknown to me the OH recognised him from last year when he was
stealing wheelie bins and rang the police. While undesired man and
me were talking OH passed me the phone out of the window and was
surprised to be talking to the police(as I didn't know she had
rang them). I quickly got the gist and gave them a reg. no. of a
pickup truck which I thought must have been his, he ran off
immediatly.

6.30 this morning we were going out for the day. No chance. 8
slashed tyres and DEEP scratches to the bodywork of our cars.

I feel like giving in! For F**ks sake. We both have to go to work
tomorrow.

Baz

What a horrible thing to happen. It's only upside is that the
police have his reg.no. and know he's operating in your area. CCTV
camera installation, perhaps?

We have had tyres slashed too. Our new car has no spare wheel just a
sophisticated puncture outfit made for holes less than 3mm. I
spotted this after I had bought the car. The salesman said a survey
had shown that customers didn't need a spare wheel anymore!

!! What utter madness. When I picked up a horseshoe nail in one tyre,
I certainly needed a spare. I've had 3 puncture altogether with this
car, having never had one in my life before!

Ignoring slashed tyres, we have been averaging a puncture a year,
mainly from wood screws which I suspect vandals have screwed into the
tyres. Things have got better since the local yob has found a job.

Let me tell you that this has scared us both half to death here, the
scroat has crept up during the night and caused thousands of pounds worth
of damage and we didn't hear a thing. Imagine if he wanted to do US harm.
I don't know where the money is going to come from but we have to get
some quality recordable security here. Today if I can. The police are
going to talk with us later on today about security.

Baz
Old 07-08-2011, 10:43 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sun, 07 Aug 2011 09:24:27 GMT, Baz wrote:

Let me tell you that this has scared us both half to death here, the
scroat has crept up during the night and caused thousands of pounds
worth of damage and we didn't hear a thing. Imagine if he wanted to do
US harm.

I can understand that but that isn't this scums modus operandi is it?
He might be a big, burly, intimdating bloke who you wouldn't want to
pick a fight with but inside he is as yellow as canary. Hence coming
back in the wee small hours just to mindlessly damage your property.

I don't know where the money is going to come from but we have to get
some quality recordable security here. Today if I can.

Keep that knee still if you can. There are quite complex rules around
CCTV recordings and having them as admisable evidence. Also a system
that can produce images that can be used to positively identify some
one from 20' won't be cheap...

--
Cheers
Dave.

Old 07-08-2011, 11:21 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Dave Liquorice" wrote in
ll.co.uk:

[...]

If we have to re-mortgage we will have to do. We will not sleep properly
from now on otherwise. We are already talking about moving house.
This is a normal reaction, apparently. But we feel unsafe.If someone can do
that kind of frenzied damage, what if he really put his mind to it?

Baz
Old 08-08-2011, 12:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , Sacha
writes
My brother and sil used to live in a 'nice' part of Wandsworth. She
drove a Mercedes and the windscreen was smashed in no less than 7
times.

I've got a friend in High Wycombe who had his car set about with a meat
cleaver , the bloke even stood on the bonnet to hammer the rood!

Also in High Wycombe friends had their car set alight parked directly in
the drive under their daughter's window.

They had bought it from a garage and he suspected that it had been a
write off after an accident once he had driven it home and had a chance
to take a really good look, so he had reported it to the police. (He
was a car mechanic)
--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph
Old 08-08-2011, 03:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Janet Tweedy
writes

I've got a friend in High Wycombe who had his car set about with a meat
cleaver , the bloke even stood on the bonnet to hammer the rood!

Also in High Wycombe friends had their car set alight parked directly
in the drive under their daughter's window.

They had bought it from a garage and he suspected that it had been a
write off after an accident once he had driven it home and had a chance
to take a really good look, so he had reported it to the police. (He
was a car mechanic)

I surprised a T Leaf attempting to break into my garage one night about
10pm. He scarpered when I switched on the security light, before
doing too much damage. Cops came quickly and called up the dog man,
but he failed to pick up a trail (unlike the movies).

When the cops arrived they asked what I kept in my garage, and I said a
few gardening tools and equipment.
"Have you got a car"?
"Yes, in the garage".

They seemed amazed to be told that I keep my car in the garage, so I
asked where else would I keep it!
--
Gordon H
Remove "invalid" to reply

Old 08-08-2011, 04:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Gordon H wrote in news:bK+a$kLcm
:

In message , Janet Tweedy
writes

[...]

Sometimes you may have to put up with, what seems like stupidity from the
police, stupid questions and hold them inside. Most times the old bill will
have a reason, and that may be that you should not be there, or the twit is
still at large, or both. Most of them are far from stupid.

Baz
Old 08-08-2011, 05:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Baz" wrote in message
[...]

;-) ??

Mandy Rice-Davies had the answer for your statement.

Kindest regards

Mike

Old 08-08-2011, 06:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Sacha
writes
On 2011-08-08 16:46:25 +0100, Baz said:

[...]

It would be an amazement with me. I've rarely had a garage in any
house but when I have it's always been too full of 'stuff' to hold a
car. ;-)

Yup, I don't think anybody I know keeps their car in their garage - ours
does have plenty of bikes though.

--
Chris French

Old 09-08-2011, 12:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Sacha
writes
On 2011-08-08 16:46:25 +0100, Baz said:

[...]

In that case it is not a garage, it is a junk store. ;-)
Yes,- I've seen inside some of my neighbours' "garages".
I believe that cars which are not garaged should attract a much higher
insurance premium.
--
Gordon H
Remove "invalid" to reply
Old 08-08-2011, 11:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Gordon H" wrote in message
In message , Janet Tweedy
writes

[...]

Most people round here don't keep their cars in the garage because they just
can't get them in. Our estate was built in 1980, and cars have got wider
since then. My next-door neighbour did drive his into his garage one day,
but found he couldn't open the door wide enough to get out.

--
Kathy

Old 09-08-2011, 12:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Kathy
writes
"Gordon H" wrote

They seemed amazed to be told that I keep my car in the garage, so I
asked where else would I keep it!

Most people round here don't keep their cars in the garage because they
just can't get them in. Our estate was built in 1980, and cars have
got wider since then. My next-door neighbour did drive his into his
garage one day, but found he couldn't open the door wide enough to get
out.

I struggled with my Cavalier when I only had a 16' x 8' garage, but I
managed to reverse in and squeeze out of the door.

When I replaced it with a concrete garage I got a 20' x 10' and chose
the wider door option. I can get the Mondeo in easily with a work
bench at the rear and shelves on each side, plus a tumble dryer.

Did I mention the shredder, power washer, leaf blower?
--
Gordon H
Remove "invalid" to reply
Old 09-08-2011, 10:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Martin" wrote in message

Nowadays there is no room for anything. There were also studies that
showed that corrosion was less when cars were parked on the street
rather than in an unheated garage.
I just traded in a Nissan car that was almost 16 years old and had
zero corrosion.
--

My car is 14 years old, I keep it on my drive (no garage) and it has no
corrosion at all. It's a small Citreon and I've had it for 7 years,

Tina

Old 07-08-2011, 01:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Baz" wrote in message
Martin wrote in
:

On 2011-08-07 08:15:44 +0100, Baz said:

[...]

Cheapest is to get a fake camera.

Old 07-08-2011, 01:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"harryagain" wrote in
:

Cheapest is to get a fake camera.

And record nothing?
A criminal like I have come into contact with is unlikely to be scared with
a fake, now is he!
And besides that the toe rag needs catching, and quickly before someone
gets hurt.

Baz
Old 07-08-2011, 05:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , harryagain
writes

"Baz" wrote
Let me tell you that this has scared us both half to death here, the
scroat has crept up during the night and caused thousands of pounds worth
of damage and we didn't hear a thing. Imagine if he wanted to do US harm.
I don't know where the money is going to come from but we have to get
some quality recordable security here. Today if I can. The police are
going to talk with us later on today about security.

Baz

Cheapest is to get a fake camera.

I bought several cheap (circa 30/40 quid) cameras when we had a fence
repeatedly smashed. The vandalism has not occurred again after several
years, and I know that the cameras were quickly spotted by local kids
because one of them slyly asked what they were for...

They are a definite deterrent, and I handed a tape to the local cops
which placed two yobs in my garden at 06:30 one morning.
No time-stamp on the video, but my statement guaranteeing that the video
recorder was set at the correct time was enough to I/D them and add a
charge of trespass to the burglary they had committed elsewhere the same
morning. They were caught after an alert neighbour saw his kitchen
door handle turn as they tried it, and called the police who were
attending the nearby burglary.

My main camera is connected to a DVD recorder and (importantly
programmed to record at all times except for evening TV viewing. :-)

Security measures are best installed *before* incidents happen, and
upgraded from time to time.

A personal not eto Baz, I understand how you feel, because we were
troubled by street gangs in this otherwise respectable area, until
cooperation between local councillors and the police broke them up.
Since the introduction of ASBOS it has been very quiet here...

Don't let the b*****ds ruin your health, I would think that they are
unlikely to return...
--
Gordon H