Old 09-08-2011, 08:45 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Ping Sacha

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message
"Kathy" wrote

"Bob Hobden"

"Kathy"
No need to guess, I know the family came from Devon.

My wife and all her family "knew" their family came from Norway
three/four generation back. Not so, Carlisle more like, certainly up
that way but with nothing in the records offices up there it's difficult
to go any further. What I did find was that two generations of the
family didn't know their fathers and one lost their mother too whilst
very young which is probably where the myth came from.

No, this is not a myth, it's fact.

Our family myth was that Great Uncle Arthur went to Australia, made a
fortune, owned land, died at Gallipoli and left it all to an Australian
girlfriend. Not so. He died at Calais and owned nothing.

I've got an offshoot of the family way back that actually did just that,
sent to Oz originally for stealing a loaf to feed his wife and 4 kids, he
ended up owning 3,000 acres and was the first person to plant vines in the
Hunter Valley.

-- Regards
Bob Hobden
W.of London. UK

Meanwhile ............................

back here in the UK ............. his wife and kids??????

Or did they go with him?

Mike

Old 09-08-2011, 09:58 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

'Mike' wrote:
Meanwhile ............................
back here in the UK ............. his wife and kids??????
Or did they go with him?

Probably starved or ended in the workhouse, as far as my knowledge of
victims of deportation reaches.
Old 09-08-2011, 05:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Vic wrote ...

'Mike' wrote:
Meanwhile ............................
back here in the UK ............. his wife and kids??????
Or did they go with him?

Probably starved or ended in the workhouse, as far as my knowledge of
victims of deportation reaches.

I haven't looked yet, it's another line, but either of the above seem a
distinct possibility. He certainly remarried in Oz and also sent for his
brother he was doing so well. As I say, unfortunately not my line.

-- Regards
Bob Hobden
W.of London. UK

Old 10-08-2011, 11:24 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Martin" wrote in message
On Mon, 8 Aug 2011 23:42:46 +0100, "Kathy" wrote:

Our family myth was that Great Uncle Arthur went to Australia, made a
fortune, owned land, died at Gallipoli and left it all to an Australian
girlfriend. Not so. He died at Calais and owned nothing.

Was he on a day trip buying duty free booze? :-)

No. He was mortally injured during the battle of Menin Bridge Road in 1917.

--
Kathy

Old 11-08-2011, 08:41 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Kathy" wrote ..

"Martin" wrote
"Kathy" wrote:

Our family myth was that Great Uncle Arthur went to Australia, made a
fortune, owned land, died at Gallipoli and left it all to an Australian
girlfriend. Not so. He died at Calais and owned nothing.

Was he on a day trip buying duty free booze? :-)

No. He was mortally injured during the battle of Menin Bridge Road in
1917.

Have you found his Army Records at Kew yet? You may be lucky, I haven't been
as a lot of the records were lost in WW11 so I have not found my Grandfather
or Sue's.

-- Regards
Bob Hobden
W.of London. UK

Old 11-08-2011, 03:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message
"Kathy" wrote ..

"Martin" wrote
"Kathy" wrote:

Our family myth was that Great Uncle Arthur went to Australia, made a
fortune, owned land, died at Gallipoli and left it all to an Australian
girlfriend. Not so. He died at Calais and owned nothing.

Was he on a day trip buying duty free booze? :-)

No. He was mortally injured during the battle of Menin Bridge Road in
1917.

Have you found his Army Records at Kew yet? You may be lucky, I haven't
been as a lot of the records were lost in WW11 so I have not found my
Grandfather or Sue's.

Not Kew, as he was in the Australian Infantry. The Australian WW1 records
are all on line.

--
Kathy

Old 11-08-2011, 04:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Sacha" wrote

"Bob Hobden" said:

Have you found his Army Records at Kew yet? You may be lucky, I haven't
been as a lot of the records were lost in WW11 so I have not found my
Grandfather or Sue's.

I found a de-frocked great-uncle - the only excitement so far!

My grandfather had his leg blown off in WW1, was then captured/picked up by
the Germans who operated on him better than a British Doctor could (he was
told by the British Surgeons later!) they got him well and then repatriated
him. His new made to measure super articulated metal German foot followed
him later. Amazingly civilised, but not any record in the UK about it.
Perhaps I'll have to go to Germany. Then there was the Hobden girl that
married the last man to be hanged for sheep stealing, one James Lulham and
of course the one that was deported to Oz and done good. The rest are
Farmers and Farm Labourers in Sussex prior to the railway.

On Sue's side there was a problem in her Grandfather's generation and two of
his brothers were handed to Barnardos and then sent to Canada. Barnardos
were extremely helpful with the details and so was the local library
achivist in Boston, Lincs who looked up a coroners report about their father
death (aged 28) in a local newspaper for me.

-- Regards
Bob Hobden
W.of London. UK

Ping sacha - reposted message! Ping Spider re Deutzia Spider[_2_] United Kingdom 4 04-05-2009 06:28 AM
Ping Sacha Judith in France United Kingdom 3 17-05-2008 03:51 PM
Ping Sacha judith.lea United Kingdom 18 21-01-2008 04:07 PM
Ping Sacha judith.lea United Kingdom 3 16-10-2007 10:55 PM
Ping Sacha Just Me \Koi\ Ponds 3 26-05-2003 04:20 PM