Old 07-08-2011, 02:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Ping Sacha

Sacha, are you around on the 15th and 16th September? I shall be visiting
Exeter Record Office and thought I might take a trip westward for an
afternoon. Would love to meet you, Ray and Oscar Underfoot :-}
Please could you let me know on kathleendotmcintoshatmypostofficedotcodotuk?
Thanks.

--
Kathy

Old 07-08-2011, 03:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Kathy wrote:
Please could you let me know on kathleendotmcintoshatmypostofficedotcodotuk?

It's very childish, but I did find "shatmypostoffice" a very funny domain
name. :-D
Old 07-08-2011, 03:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Kathy" wrote

Sacha, are you around on the 15th and 16th September? I shall be visiting
Exeter Record Office and thought I might take a trip westward for an
afternoon. Would love to meet you, Ray and Oscar Underfoot :-}
Please could you let me know on
kathleendotmcintoshatmypostofficedotcodotuk?

If you are doing your Family Tree I hope you have better luck at a Records
Office than I ever have, never anything at all and some of the staff are
certainly not helpful like the ones on the TV. Good luck.

-- Regards
Bob Hobden
W.of London. UK

Old 07-08-2011, 03:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 07/08/2011 15:25, Bob Hobden wrote:
"Kathy" wrote

Sacha, are you around on the 15th and 16th September? I shall be
visiting Exeter Record Office and thought I might take a trip westward
for an afternoon. Would love to meet you, Ray and Oscar Underfoot :-}
Please could you let me know on
kathleendotmcintoshatmypostofficedotcodotuk?

If you are doing your Family Tree I hope you have better luck at a
Records Office than I ever have, never anything at all and some of the
staff are certainly not helpful like the ones on the TV. Good luck.

Apart from the dragons that infest the Durham County records office I
have found most of the other County records office and local history
staff reasonably helpful. You cannot expect them to have the right book
open at the right page for you when you arrive as usually happens on TV.

If you have done your homework then the Records office is one place to
find the microfilms of the actual marriage and birth certificates. It
speeds things up enormously if you already have a prepared list of what
you are looking for gleaned from IGI or FreeBMD.

Tricky bit is playing guess the parish church in larger towns.

Regards,
Martin Brown

Old 07-08-2011, 04:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

On 7 Aug 2011 14:09:01 GMT, wrote:

Kathy wrote:
Please could you let me know on kathleendotmcintoshatmypostofficedotcodotuk?

It's very childish, but I did find "shatmypostoffice" a very funny domain
name. :-D

Well, if we're going to be childish, I could mention a few placenames
which get filtered out by some software ...

--
Mike.

Old 07-08-2011, 06:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message
"Kathy" wrote

Sacha, are you around on the 15th and 16th September? I shall be visiting
Exeter Record Office and thought I might take a trip westward for an
afternoon. Would love to meet you, Ray and Oscar Underfoot :-}
Please could you let me know on
kathleendotmcintoshatmypostofficedotcodotuk?

If you are doing your Family Tree I hope you have better luck at a Records
Office than I ever have, never anything at all and some of the staff are
certainly not helpful like the ones on the TV. Good luck.

Last time I was there I had one awful woman on the first afternoon, and a
really splendid one the next day.
Also, it was there I discovered my GGGrandfather had been Christened twice,
also looked at maps of the area of Exeter he'd been born/lived in and lots
of info on his wife's family.

--
Kathy

Old 07-08-2011, 10:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Martin Brown" wrote

Bob Hobden wrote:
"Kathy" wrote

[...]

Why waste time and money going to a Records Office to look at a microfilm of
a Cert when you can order an official copy online for £9 once you have the
Volume and Ref No. There is also no need to know the Church involved.
Certainly cheaper than travelling the Country as I've done in the past and
to no avail.
It's once you are back past 1837 (probably nearer 1800 in reality) it gets
more difficult and Records Offices become more useful (if you guess
correctly and have some luck).

-- Regards
Bob Hobden
W.of London. UK

Old 07-08-2011, 11:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message
"Martin Brown" wrote

Bob Hobden wrote:
"Kathy" wrote

[...]

Except he was born in 1809.

There is also no need to know the Church involved.
Certainly cheaper than travelling the Country as I've done in the past and
to no avail.
It's once you are back past 1837 (probably nearer 1800 in reality) it gets
more difficult and Records Offices become more useful (if you guess
correctly and have some luck).

No need to guess, I know the family came from Devon.

--
Kathy

Old 07-08-2011, 11:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

news

Kathy wrote:
Please could you let me know on
kathleendotmcintoshatmypostofficedotcodotuk?

It's very childish, but I did find "shatmypostoffice" a very funny domain
name. :-D

Shame on you!

chortle

There are various ways of spelling McIntosh, but that isn't one of them :-}

--
Kathy

Old 08-08-2011, 11:27 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 07/08/2011 22:44, Bob Hobden wrote:
"Martin Brown" wrote

Bob Hobden wrote:

[...]

That only works after 1837 - they are the easy ones. I am back to before
1800's on most lines and down to early-1700's on some.

It gets expensive at even £7 a throw when you have something common like
eg Sarah Brown in Liverpool to find. Lancs BMD is very useful at giving
full church references so microfilm is fairly easy to use.

It is worth paying careful attention to what records are held where. I
was once caught out visiting Preston (Lancs CRO) only to find that the
material I wanted to see was only available in Manchester.

Church involved. Certainly cheaper than travelling the Country as I've
done in the past and to no avail.
It's once you are back past 1837 (probably nearer 1800 in reality) it
gets more difficult and Records Offices become more useful (if you guess
correctly and have some luck).

Use IGI or county specific resources for searching and then going to
look up the primary records works pretty well for me (with IGI allow for
the occasional USian MM/DD vs DD/MM date twiddle error too).

Regards,
Martin Brown

Old 08-08-2011, 12:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , Martin
writes
They
even got the Ecclesiastical records people to search for plants for our
house, though without success.

plants or plans?

--

Martin

Gosh and there's me thinking what a great service for doing up your
flower beds !!

--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph
Old 08-08-2011, 04:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2011-08-08 11:42:25 +0100, Jake Nospam@invalid said:

On Mon, 8 Aug 2011 11:00:51 +0100, Sacha wrote:

Which reminds me I've left two glass
flutes in church since Easter!!

I hope they're still safe. What do they sound like when you play them?

Cheers
Jake
Gardening at the dry end (east) of Swansea Bay
in between reading anything by JRR Tolkien.

www.rivendell.org.uk

You and Martin should work up a double act! ;-))

We're way ahead of you (http://martinandjake.com) though Martin seems
to hog all the writing. But then he does write a lot better than I.

Cheers
Jake
Gardening at the dry end (east) of Swansea Bay
in between reading anything by JRR Tolkien.

www.rivendell.org.uk

Is it a Stage Act? ;-)

http://www.shanklintheatre.com/default.aspx

I am very heavily involved with this Theatre and I could put a word in for
you :-))

You will be secure in booking the Theatre, it has just been taken off the
"At Risk" List whilst other Theatres are going on :-(

Mike
http://www.friendsofshanklintheatre.org.uk/

Old 08-08-2011, 11:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message
"Kathy"
No need to guess, I know the family came from Devon.

My wife and all her family "knew" their family came from Norway three/four
generation back. Not so, Carlisle more like, certainly up that way but
with nothing in the records offices up there it's difficult to go any
further. What I did find was that two generations of the family didn't
know their fathers and one lost their mother too whilst very young which
is probably where the myth came from.

No, this is not a myth, it's fact.

Our family myth was that Great Uncle Arthur went to Australia, made a
fortune, owned land, died at Gallipoli and left it all to an Australian
girlfriend. Not so. He died at Calais and owned nothing.

--
Kathy

Old 08-08-2011, 11:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2011-08-07 23:40:14 +0100, "Kathy" said:

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message
"Martin Brown" wrote

Bob Hobden wrote:
"Kathy" wrote

[...]

You don't have Prowse, Luscombe, Lake, in there, do you, Kathy?!

Sorry, no. Hall, Chappell and possibly Sweeting.

--
Kathy

Old 09-08-2011, 08:25 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Kathy" wrote

"Bob Hobden"

"Kathy"
No need to guess, I know the family came from Devon.

My wife and all her family "knew" their family came from Norway
three/four generation back. Not so, Carlisle more like, certainly up that
way but with nothing in the records offices up there it's difficult to go
any further. What I did find was that two generations of the family
didn't know their fathers and one lost their mother too whilst very young
which is probably where the myth came from.

No, this is not a myth, it's fact.

Our family myth was that Great Uncle Arthur went to Australia, made a
fortune, owned land, died at Gallipoli and left it all to an Australian
girlfriend. Not so. He died at Calais and owned nothing.

I've got an offshoot of the family way back that actually did just that,
sent to Oz originally for stealing a loaf to feed his wife and 4 kids, he
ended up owning 3,000 acres and was the first person to plant vines in the
Hunter Valley.

-- Regards
Bob Hobden
W.of London. UK

Ping sacha - reposted message! Ping Spider re Deutzia Spider[_2_] United Kingdom 4 04-05-2009 06:28 AM
Ping Sacha Judith in France United Kingdom 3 17-05-2008 03:51 PM
Ping Sacha judith.lea United Kingdom 18 21-01-2008 04:07 PM
Ping Sacha judith.lea United Kingdom 3 16-10-2007 10:55 PM
Ping Sacha Just Me \Koi\ Ponds 3 26-05-2003 04:20 PM