Old 09-08-2011, 10:51 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Lawn mowers advice

Hi there,

My Lawn mower is gone... Dead and need to buy a new one.

My lawn has about 1000sqm and I was thinking on a gasoline lawn mower with eletric start. any advice? any good or bad experiences?

Thanks in advance.

PA
Old 09-08-2011, 05:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Tom Tom is offline

On 09/08/2011 10:51, P. Alves wrote:
Hi there,

My Lawn mower is gone... Dead and need to buy a new one.

My lawn has about 1000sqm and I was thinking on a gasoline lawn mower with eletric start. any advice? any good or bad experiences?

Thanks in advance.

PA

Bom Dia Paulo,

I have a similar sized patch. After some flirting with a Honda Izzy
(good engine, questionable bodywork and easily bent shaft), having first
tried a Mountfield (used to be good, bought out and now assembled in
somewhere like Tunisia), I dug into my wallet and bought a Hayter
Harrier petrol driven mower with a 56cm cut width and electronic start.
Not only does it make a beautiful job of the lawn but it also gives me a
good workout as the beast is pretty solid and heavy. Apart from my old
ATCO Admiral cylinder mower, this is the best mower I have had.

You may find this link helpful:

http://www.hayter.co.uk/products/hom...-autodrive-VS/

I can't recommend it highly enough!

HTH

Tom W.
Old 10-08-2011, 06:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

http://www.hayter.co.uk/products/hom...roller/harrier...

I can't recommend it highly enough!

HTH

Tom W.

Don't know how you bend the crankshaft wihout abusing the machine -
it's not a rough grass cutter it's a lawn mower. The Harrier is a good
machine but I would have thought it a bit too much mower for 1000sq
metres.
I've been mowing that sort of area with an Izzy for about 5years with
no problems. Electric start is something else to go wrong and not
needed on modern small engines.

Rod
Old 10-08-2011, 06:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Tom Tom is offline

On 10/08/2011 18:00, Rod wrote:
On Aug 9, 5:41 pm, wrote:
[...]

I hit a flint which was protruding from the edge of the lawn. The damn
shaft bent and when taking it to the people who sold it to me was told
that the damage was fairly common "with Hondas". Like I said - a great
engine with very suspect bodywork. So I got a Hayter and am very pleased
with it. I'm very pleased you feel the same with your Izzy but it's a
different class of machine. No comparison! I didn't say that the 1000 sq
m. is all the lawn I cut. In total I have c. 2600 sq m. of which one is
c. 1100 sq.m. AFAIAC an electronic start facility is very helpful as I
am not in the first flush of use and the machine is heavy. But
brilliant! So let's agree to differ.

Tom W.
Old 11-08-2011, 05:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Tom" wrote in message
On 09/08/2011 10:51, P. Alves wrote:
Hi there,

My Lawn mower is gone... Dead and need to buy a new one.

My lawn has about 1000sqm and I was thinking on a gasoline lawn mower
with eletric start. any advice? any good or bad experiences?

Thanks in advance.

PA

Bom Dia Paulo,

I have a similar sized patch. After some flirting with a Honda Izzy (good
engine, questionable bodywork and easily bent shaft), having first tried a
Mountfield (used to be good, bought out and now assembled in somewhere
like Tunisia), I dug into my wallet and bought a Hayter Harrier petrol
driven mower with a 56cm cut width and electronic start. Not only does it
make a beautiful job of the lawn but it also gives me a good workout as
the beast is pretty solid and heavy.

I have owned one of those for 16 years from new and it still works well.
Apart from a crack in the aluminium deck which resulted from a lump of wood
picking up on the end of the blade it has withstood a lot of use and abuse.
The crack was easily welded but makes the machine look a bit scabby. The
electric start makes it very easy to use.

Mike

Old 17-08-2011, 09:30 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Thanks everyone!

I have to say I was quite impressed with the Hayter Harrier. The problem is that I live in Portugal and I could not find a representative here and did not get any reply from Hayter to my email query.

I have been also looking at the Hondas, but the ones with electric start go for around 1.100 GBP.

Another options are Husqvarna (600GBP), Wolf (500 GBP) and something that I have never heard of: Al-Ko (from germany) (450-550GBP).

The Husqvarnas, some come with a Honda engine while other with Briggs & Stratton. Any thoughts on the engine?

I would prefer an Electric start, because with engine age the pull system seems to became a nightmare and sometimes I get elbow and shoulder pain (problably the problem is my age and not the engine age!). Now I am not sure if this would be the case with a recent technology.

if you ever had any experience with any of theses, your advice will be very helpful.

Thanks in advance.

PS: Tom, Good Portuguese spelling!