Old 09-08-2011, 03:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Default mandeville

My google skills appear to be failing me today. Does anyone have any
experience of how to go about propogating a mandeville plant? My neighbour
and I both have one each - mine is currently in full flower, she's sulking
cos hers is just starting to bud. :-)

I wondered about taking cuttings, but it's one of those plants that seems to
bleed a lot when it is snapped, so I'm not sure a cutting would work at all.

Anyone got any suggestions (preferably from experience)

Old 09-08-2011, 04:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 9 Aug 2011 14:50:29 GMT, wrote:

My google skills appear to be failing me today. Does anyone have any
experience of how to go about propogating a mandeville plant? My neighbour
and I both have one each - mine is currently in full flower, she's sulking
cos hers is just starting to bud. :-)

I wondered about taking cuttings, but it's one of those plants that seems to
bleed a lot when it is snapped, so I'm not sure a cutting would work at all.

Anyone got any suggestions (preferably from experience)

My mother had a huge pink mandeville that she split every year right
down through the roots. I think that's the best way how to take
cuttings but it is a bit vicious! She gave away half of the plant and
SFAIK, they survived. One she gave to me got a bit too big for the
house so I put it outside against a wall. It lived up to winter 2009.

Steve

--
Neural network applications, help and support.

Neural Network Software. www.npsl1.com
EasyNN-plus. Neural Networks plus. www.easynn.com
SwingNN. Forecast with Neural Networks. www.swingnn.com
JustNN. Just Neural Networks. www.justnn.com

Old 09-08-2011, 04:24 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Stephen Wolstenholme wrote:
Anyone got any suggestions (preferably from experience)

My mother had a huge pink mandeville that she split every year right
down through the roots. I think that's the best way how to take
cuttings but it is a bit vicious! She gave away half of the plant and
SFAIK, they survived. One she gave to me got a bit too big for the
house so I put it outside against a wall. It lived up to winter 2009.

Cheers, I'll give that a go when it goes dormant, then. I've had this one
about a year, took it into the house for winter as was warned it was quite
tender. It's currently climbing all over the place and I was wondering how
I was going to cut it back to bring it in for winter!
Old 09-08-2011, 04:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 9 Aug 2011 14:50:29 GMT, wrote:

My google skills appear to be failing me today. Does anyone have any
experience of how to go about propogating a mandeville plant? My neighbour
and I both have one each - mine is currently in full flower, she's sulking
cos hers is just starting to bud. :-)

I wondered about taking cuttings, but it's one of those plants that seems to
bleed a lot when it is snapped, so I'm not sure a cutting would work at all.

Anyone got any suggestions (preferably from experience)

This may help:

http://apps.rhs.org.uk/advicesearch/...e.aspx?pid=713

Though not from experience, sorry. Just that I had a notion that
searching on Dipladenia might produce something worthwhile.

Cheers
Jake
Gardening at the dry end (east) of Swansea Bay
in between reading anything by JRR Tolkien.

www.rivendell.org.uk
Old 09-08-2011, 04:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 9 Aug 2011 15:24:13 GMT, wrote:

Stephen Wolstenholme wrote:
Anyone got any suggestions (preferably from experience)

My mother had a huge pink mandeville that she split every year right
down through the roots. I think that's the best way how to take
cuttings but it is a bit vicious! She gave away half of the plant and
SFAIK, they survived. One she gave to me got a bit too big for the
house so I put it outside against a wall. It lived up to winter 2009.

Cheers, I'll give that a go when it goes dormant, then. I've had this one
about a year, took it into the house for winter as was warned it was quite
tender. It's currently climbing all over the place and I was wondering how
I was going to cut it back to bring it in for winter!

When you split it you will have two plants climbing all over place!

Steve

Old 10-08-2011, 08:42 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote in message
My google skills appear to be failing me today. Does anyone have any
experience of how to go about propogating a mandeville plant? My
neighbour
and I both have one each - mine is currently in full flower, she's sulking
cos hers is just starting to bud. :-)

I wondered about taking cuttings, but it's one of those plants that seems
bleed a lot when it is snapped, so I'm not sure a cutting would work at
all.

Anyone got any suggestions (preferably from experience)

--

Normal nodal cuttings of about 4-6" with reduced leaf root quite quickly
with bottom heat and mist so I would expect a plastic bag and warm (not

When you prepare the cutting the cut at the base is the last one to make,
and dip immediately into hormone rooting powder, this staunches the flow of
sap which if left prevents rooting.

--
Charlie, Gardening in Cornwall
and Lapageria rosea cvs