Old 10-08-2011, 11:46 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default pistachio shells

In article ,
Adam Funk wrote:

I've been putting pistachio shells in my worm/compost bin with the
rest of the kitchen waste. They don't break down quickly, but (unlike
avocado stones, for example), they aren't big enough to be a nuisance
in the output.

But I've used cocoa shell mulch in the past, and I'm wondering whether
pistachio shells might also be useful as mulch. Any ideas?

They would be fine, but you must spend a fortune on pistachios!

Also, is the salt likely to be harmful?

No.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Old 10-08-2011, 01:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Wed, 10 Aug 2011 11:58:29 +0100, Adam Funk
wrote:

I've been putting pistachio shells in my worm/compost bin with the
rest of the kitchen waste. They don't break down quickly, but (unlike
avocado stones, for example), they aren't big enough to be a nuisance
in the output.

But I've used cocoa shell mulch in the past, and I'm wondering whether
pistachio shells might also be useful as mulch. Any ideas?

Also, is the salt likely to be harmful?

I have used pistachio shells for mulch. They seem to be OK. They turn
black after a few days - I don't know why. The ones I get are unsalted
so I can't answer on if it's harmful.

Steve

--
Neural network applications, help and support.

Neural Network Software. www.npsl1.com
EasyNN-plus. Neural Networks plus. www.easynn.com
SwingNN. Forecast with Neural Networks. www.swingnn.com
JustNN. Just Neural Networks. www.justnn.com

Old 10-08-2011, 02:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Stephen Wolstenholme wrote in
:

wrote:

I've been putting pistachio shells in my worm/compost bin with the
rest of the kitchen waste. They don't break down quickly, but (unlike
avocado stones, for example), they aren't big enough to be a nuisance
in the output.

But I've used cocoa shell mulch in the past, and I'm wondering whether
pistachio shells might also be useful as mulch. Any ideas?

Also, is the salt likely to be harmful?

I have used pistachio shells for mulch. They seem to be OK. They turn
black after a few days - I don't know why. The ones I get are unsalted
so I can't answer on if it's harmful.

Steve

You must get yours from your local international food hall?
My OH has her history from overseas and uses them when she cooks.
We buy them in 1kg packs along with other items, such as chillies which
loose work out at 2p each. Curry powder(varius kinds)often called garam by
the kilo and lasts us months for a bit over a quid. Try that at Asda. Even
english onions, the eye watering kind are a few pence per kilo.

We always put pist. shells in the compost and even though they appear hard,
I have never come across one while turning over the heap and over a year,
we must put thousands in. Never thought using as a mulch, but should I
think.

I find the salted ones yuk. But is it only the kernel with the salt? Does
the shell have large ammounts of salt? I don't know.

Baz
Old 10-08-2011, 04:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Kay Kay is offline

On 10/08/2011 14:22, in article , "Baz"
wrote:

I find the salted ones yuk. But is it only the kernel with the salt? Does
the shell have large ammounts of salt? I don't know.

The whole thing is rolled in salt so there is a superficial coating to the
whole thing. If you suck the shells, you taste salt.

Old 10-08-2011, 05:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Kay wrote in
:

The whole thing is rolled in salt so there is a superficial coating to
the whole thing. If you suck the shells, you taste salt.

Can I ask the question

If you suck the shells, you taste salt.

Erm, why would someone do that?

Baz
Old 10-08-2011, 09:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Kay Kay is offline

On 10/08/2011 17:40, in article , "Baz"
wrote:

Kay wrote in
:

The whole thing is rolled in salt so there is a superficial coating to
the whole thing. If you suck the shells, you taste salt.

Can I ask the question

If you suck the shells, you taste salt.

Erm, why would someone do that?

I had the feeling you would ask that!

Old 10-08-2011, 09:21 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2011-08-10, Baz wrote:

Kay wrote in
:

The whole thing is rolled in salt so there is a superficial coating to
the whole thing. If you suck the shells, you taste salt.

Can I ask the question

If you suck the shells, you taste salt.

(or just lick them)

Erm, why would someone do that?

To prove that the shells are salty, of course.
Old 17-08-2011, 06:39 PM
Registered User

Location: SE England

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Funk[_3_] View Post
I've been putting pistachio shells in my worm/compost bin with the
rest of the kitchen waste. They don't break down quickly, but (unlike
avocado stones, for example), they aren't big enough to be a nuisance
in the output.

But I've used cocoa shell mulch in the past, and I'm wondering whether
pistachio shells might also be useful as mulch. Any ideas?

Also, is the salt likely to be harmful?
I have used unsalted shells as mulch for small pots and it works as long as you don't have a windy garden !

Pistachio Steve Wolstenholme United Kingdom 1 19-06-2007 04:37 PM
Chinese Pistachio Rob Mills Gardening 22 05-07-2005 04:28 AM
Chinese pistachio Cindy Texas 4 09-04-2005 05:52 AM
Pistachio tree Smeckler United Kingdom 1 23-04-2003 03:12 PM
[IBC] Fw: pistachio Jim Lewis Bonsai 0 03-04-2003 04:08 PM