Old 03-07-2005, 05:24 AM
Rob Mills

Default Chinese Pistachio

I'm thinking about putting a Chinese Pistachio tree in my back yard but
haven't found any information on it's root system. I would like to know how
it is with surface roots. Just got rid of some Sweet Gums and don't care to
do that again. RM~

Old 03-07-2005, 11:39 AM
SVTKate

They are pretty, but very prolific, like a silk tree.
They can quickly become a real pest.

Kate

"Rob Mills" wrote in message
: I'm thinking about putting a Chinese Pistachio tree in my back yard but
: haven't found any information on it's root system. I would like to know
how
: it is with surface roots. Just got rid of some Sweet Gums and don't care
: do that again. RM~
:
:

Old 03-07-2005, 03:51 PM
Bourne Identity

What does this mean? Prolific at what and how does it become a pest?
They don't produce any nuts, and they are grown all over the place in
Texas with little to no invasiveness. I'm just curious what you mean
by prolific and real pest.

Victoria

Old 03-07-2005, 04:26 PM
Rob Mills

"Bourne Identity" wrote in message

they are grown all over the place in Texas with little to no
invasiveness.

Do the roots stay pretty well below the surface??

I would assume that prolific means that they hatch a lot of little ones.
They can't be any worse than a Mimosa that a neighbor two doors down has, we
just mow em down as they pop up. It's them dadgum above ground roots that
irritate me. RM ~

Old 03-07-2005, 06:37 PM
Bourne Identity

On Sun, 3 Jul 2005 10:26:22 -0500, "Rob Mills"
wrote:

"Bourne Identity" wrote in message
.. .

they are grown all over the place in Texas with little to no
invasiveness.

Do the roots stay pretty well below the surface??

I would assume that prolific means that they hatch a lot of little ones.
They can't be any worse than a Mimosa that a neighbor two doors down has, we
just mow em down as they pop up. It's them dadgum above ground roots that
irritate me. RM ~

I've never seen one with surface roots, but that's not a scientific
answer. As for hatching little ones, they don't produce anything, so
nothing to hatch. There are no nuts, or nutlets or seeds or
discernable flowers. They are fast growing. I bought a slip about 3
years ago and it's over 15 feet tall.

Victoria

Old 03-07-2005, 07:16 PM
Rob Mills

wrote:

They are fast growing. I bought a slip about 3 years ago and it's over
15 feet tall.

That's what I'm looking for. AEP just came through and took out a 30+ ft red
oak and we need some fairly quick shade for the wife's Hosta's.
Thanks, Rob Mills ~ Tulsa

Old 03-07-2005, 09:42 PM
Bourne Identity

wrote:

They are fast growing. I bought a slip about 3 years ago and it's over
15 feet tall.

That's what I'm looking for. AEP just came through and took out a 30+ ft red
oak and we need some fairly quick shade for the wife's Hosta's.
Thanks, Rob Mills ~ Tulsa

Oh, this tree doesn't give a large swath of shade at first. It can
take up to 10 years for it to have a nice canopy. Where do you live?
Old 03-07-2005, 10:55 PM
Rob Mills

"Bourne Identity" wrote in message

Where do you live?

I'm in N.E. Oklahoma (yep, it's hot) but the spot we are concerned with gets
some evening shade about 2:00 PM and the neighbors trees give it some early
morning shade. I'm planning to have a credible nursery deliver me a big
tree, they will plant it and guarantee it. RM ~

Old 03-07-2005, 11:44 PM
Travis

wrote:

They are fast growing. I bought a slip about 3 years ago and
it's over 15 feet tall.

That's what I'm looking for. AEP just came through and took out a
30+ ft red oak and we need some fairly quick shade for the wife's
Hosta's.
Thanks, Rob Mills ~ Tulsa

What is AEP?

USDA Zone 8
Sunset Zone 5
Old 03-07-2005, 11:47 PM
SVTKate

Oh, geeze.
I just checked with hubby, it was a blonde moment.
It was the CHINA trees that were pests, not the Chinese Pistach.

Sorry sorry sorry..... I apologize.
(really am blonde too!)

Kate

:
: "Rob Mills" wrote in message
: news:ILJxe.3230$Zt.1302@okepread05...
: : I'm thinking about putting a Chinese Pistachio tree in my back yard but
: : haven't found any information on it's root system. I would like to know
: how
: : it is with surface roots. Just got rid of some Sweet Gums and don't
care
: : do that again. RM~
: :
: :
:
:

Old 04-07-2005, 01:12 AM
Ian Rastall

On Sun, 03 Jul 2005 22:44:00 GMT, "Travis"
wrote:

What is AEP?

American Electric Power.

Ian
--
Was it not a comedy, a strange and stupid
matter, this repetition, this running around
Old 04-07-2005, 02:43 AM
Bourne Identity

On Sun, 3 Jul 2005 16:55:17 -0500, "Rob Mills"
wrote:

"Bourne Identity" wrote in message

Where do you live?

I'm in N.E. Oklahoma (yep, it's hot) but the spot we are concerned with gets
some evening shade about 2:00 PM and the neighbors trees give it some early
morning shade. I'm planning to have a credible nursery deliver me a big
tree, they will plant it and guarantee it. RM ~

It's not the heat I'm concerned about, it's the cold. I don't know
how cold hardy they are. They survive nicely up north in Dallas, so I
believe you are a full zone north of that. Keep it watered very well
and no matter what they say, you want them to remove the "burlap" and
all signs of any wire. If it's containerized, they tree should be
well hydrated IN the container before it is planted...especially at
this time of year. I know they guarantee it, but it would suck if you
lose a tree which is shading hostas during high summer.

Old 04-07-2005, 02:44 AM
Bourne Identity

No problem. Chinaberry is a very noxious weed, so your heart was in
the right place. That's why I asked you.

Victoria - strawberry blonde, natural.

:

Old 04-07-2005, 04:10 AM
SVTKate

"Bourne Identity" wrote in message
: No problem. Chinaberry is a very noxious weed, so your heart was in
: the right place. That's why I asked you.
:
: Victoria - strawberry blonde, natural.
:

Huh.. me too.. same thing.
Only now getting some greys sneeking in there.

Beats highlights I suppose LOL

Old 04-07-2005, 04:30 AM
B & J

[...]

We planted a 4' Chinese pistache four years ago, and it's doing well in zone
6, northern AR. It's already about 12' tall and has showed no sign of winter
damage. Before we purchased it to replace a huge oak that died, we did quite
a bit of research and found that it will do well through zone 5. The
suggestion was made to purchase the tree after frost in the fall to
determine fall leaf color, which varies from yellow through bright red and
all the shades between..

It is remarkably disease and insect free although it is susceptible to Texas
root rot.

JPS

[IMG] code is On

pistachio shells Adam Funk[_3_] United Kingdom 9 17-08-2011 06:39 PM
Pistachio Steve Wolstenholme United Kingdom 1 19-06-2007 04:37 PM
Chinese pistachio Cindy Texas 4 09-04-2005 05:52 AM
Pistachio tree Smeckler United Kingdom 1 23-04-2003 03:12 PM
[IBC] Fw: pistachio Jim Lewis Bonsai 0 03-04-2003 04:08 PM