Old 24-06-2005, 03:19 PM
alijsyed

Default Will Hanging Baskets Survive Indoors Over 1 Year

Hi:

I purchased some outside annuals in a hanging basket. I was told they
will only make it through the summer season.

I was wondering if they were brought indoors if they could survive over
the year or even multiple years.

Is this possible and if so, how.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks

Ali

Old 24-06-2005, 03:34 PM
Rev \Fragile Warrior\

"alijsyed" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi:

I purchased some outside annuals in a hanging basket. I was told they
will only make it through the summer season.

I was wondering if they were brought indoors if they could survive over
the year or even multiple years.

Is this possible and if so, how.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks

Ali

It's not worth it. Trust me. Throw them out and start over. I hate to
see annuals die each year, too, but trying to make them live in an
environment that they hate annoys them and frustrates you.

Old 24-06-2005, 05:02 PM
Doug Kanter

"alijsyed" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi:

I purchased some outside annuals in a hanging basket. I was told they
will only make it through the summer season.

I was wondering if they were brought indoors if they could survive over
the year or even multiple years.

Is this possible and if so, how.

Any help is appreciated.

It would help to know what kinds of flowers they are.

Old 24-06-2005, 06:52 PM
Cereus-validus.....

The hanging basket will survive many years but the plants won't.

The very idea of growing annuals in a hanging basket indoors is just plain
dumb.

Expecting annuals to behave as perennials is an obvious contradiction. Think
about it.

Old 24-06-2005, 09:28 PM
Travis

alijsyed wrote:
Hi:

I purchased some outside annuals in a hanging basket. I was told
they will only make it through the summer season.

I was wondering if they were brought indoors if they could survive
over the year or even multiple years.

Is this possible and if so, how.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks

Ali

What part of annual don't you understand?

USDA Zone 8
Sunset Zone 5

Old 24-06-2005, 09:47 PM
Callen Molenda

"Travis" wrote in message
alijsyed wrote:
Hi:

I purchased some outside annuals in a hanging basket. I was told
they will only make it through the summer season.

I was wondering if they were brought indoors if they could survive
over the year or even multiple years.

Is this possible and if so, how.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks

Ali

What part of annual don't you understand?

No, you never flame.

Someone asked a simple question and got several thoughtful responses.

What part of polite don't you understand?

Callen in VA

Old 24-06-2005, 11:32 PM
Vox Humana

alijsyed wrote:
Hi:

I purchased some outside annuals in a hanging basket. I was told
they will only make it through the summer season.

I was wondering if they were brought indoors if they could survive
over the year or even multiple years.

Is this possible and if so, how.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks

Ali

What part of annual don't you understand?

No, you never flame.

Someone asked a simple question and got several thoughtful responses.

What part of polite don't you understand?

Callen in VA

The responses might have been "thoughtful" but didn't cut to the core issue.
As Travis pointed out, "annual" has a specific meaning. Now, I know that
some things are sold as "annuals" that might be perennial in a tropical
climate. However, the OP used the term "annual" and that means the plant
completes its lifecycle in a year or less. Since the subject line asked if
annuals will survive for more than one year, a concise and thoughtful answer
would have been "NO."

Old 24-06-2005, 11:53 PM
Rev \Fragile Warrior\

alijsyed wrote:
[...]

Actually, it would be "probably not" or "not worth it" as I stated. That
being said, I have Geraniums on my windowsill that were in the garden three
years ago and an Impatient plant that has lived and bloomed for four years
in a strawberry pot just inside my patio door. It's even producing seed
pods this year.

However, it was a long, hard struggle to get them going and then keep them
alive until they were established indoors. They probably didn't start to
look good until they were indoors for 18 months or more. If I didn't like
blossoms in the winter so much, I would never have done it. Simply to save
them to put them out next year would NOT be worth it.

Giselle

Old 25-06-2005, 12:46 AM
Cereus-validus.....

What you don't understand Rev. Twinkie is that Geraniums (actually
Pelargonium) and Impatiens (not Impatient) are actually tender perennials
grown as annuals and not annuals in the true botanical sense.

No matter how much you would like to bend time and space to fit your own
prurient needs, true annuals will flower and die within one year without
exception.

Old 25-06-2005, 05:48 AM
Maren Purves

yes, but as long as you don't know what the OP has in her/his
hanging baskets how do you know whether it's the one or the
other?

as I happen to live in the tropics there aren't a lot of
annuals here.

Maren, in Hilo, HI
(going back to lurking)

Cereus-validus..... wrote:
What you don't understand Rev. Twinkie is that Geraniums (actually
Pelargonium) and Impatiens (not Impatient) are actually tender perennials
grown as annuals and not annuals in the true botanical sense.

No matter how much you would like to bend time and space to fit your own
prurient needs, true annuals will flower and die within one year without
exception.

"Rev "Fragile Warrior"" wrote in message

. ..

Old 25-06-2005, 09:12 AM
Travis

Maren Purves wrote:
yes, but as long as you don't know what the OP has in her/his
hanging baskets how do you know whether it's the one or the
other?

He/she has annuals he/she said so.

USDA Zone 8
Sunset Zone 5

Old 25-06-2005, 12:03 PM
Doug Kanter

alijsyed wrote:
[...]

The OP used the word "annuals" simply to identify a broad category of
plants. While it is always a pleasure to notice someone (like you) who can
define a word in such a scholarly and informative fashion, your explanation
does not address the OP's question, nor does it reflect the actual
experiences of lots of people who, in fact, have kept so-called annuals
alive (and thriving) indoors during the winter.

Now, if we can persuade him to identify the plants, perhaps we can offer
some advice before this turns into a discussion of Vietnam or abortion or
other crap. :-)

Old 25-06-2005, 03:26 PM
Vox Humana

alijsyed wrote:
[...]

I suspect that people will have to go to Vietnam for an abortion in a couple
of years.