Old 22-08-2011, 01:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Root Killer

My mother has a couple of well established shrubs that she doesn't
want. They've been cut down to ground level, but the roots are solid
and cannot be dug out. Is there any root killer that would stop it
growing again? Had a look in B&Q this morning but all they had were
weed killers, nothing that would be likely to have any effect on thick
wooden roots.

Dave

Old 22-08-2011, 05:35 PM
Registered User

Location: Chalfont St Giles

Quote:
Originally Posted by S Viemeister[_2_] View Post
With broom, I've found that the ones I want to get rid of, grow back even after severe chopping. The ones I want to keep (a family member 'helped' in the garden) will die after heavy 'pruning'...
Similarly wild yarrow: ineradicable invasive weed; ornamental form: just dies on you.
Old 22-08-2011, 07:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Mon, 22 Aug 2011 13:16:20 GMT, Baz uttered:

(Dave) wrote in news:4e524cc8.1784875
:

My mother has a couple of well established shrubs that she doesn't
want. They've been cut down to ground level, but the roots are solid
and cannot be dug out. Is there any root killer that would stop it
growing again? Had a look in B&Q this morning but all they had were
weed killers, nothing that would be likely to have any effect on thick
wooden roots.

Dave

Google Glyphosate,

It would have been easier to do this before you cut down your mothers
shrubs, but we all have to learn.

Baz

It wasn't me that cut them down!
Anyway thanks for all the suggestions. Will have another root around
B&Q, but I see that these are also available from Amazon of all
places.

Dave