Old 26-08-2011, 10:25 PM
Registered User

Default Naming a character (a rebel) after a plant

Hi I'm writing a story and am in the process of trying to name my main character. I was hopeing to name them after a plant in someway but i wanted a to choose a plant that suits their character.

so my question was what is a plant/tree that grows in an urban enviorment, is a very high threat to buildings in terms of damage, has very agressive and extensive roots that develop widely before it starts to grow above the surface and is almost impossible to get rid of?

if such a plant exists or something the most simmiler to my description id love to know. even if it doesnt have a very adaptable name such as "japanese knot weed" i can find ways to mix it so that it can become something more like a persons name so I will worry about that.

But yes I'd really appreciate you guys expertees!
thanks for your time,
John
Old 27-08-2011, 08:48 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

--
JohnsonII

Morrenia (odorata)
The strangler vine. From the forests of South America.
Grows up a tree and completley envelopes it. The tree dies and rots
away eventually leaving the vine standing as a massive hollow shell
triumphant.

Morrenia sounds a bit sinister. Heh Heh.
Old 27-08-2011, 10:03 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Fri, 26 Aug 2011 21:25:05 +0000, JohnsonII
wrote:

Hi I'm writing a story and am in the process of trying to name my main
character. I was hopeing to name them after a plant in someway but i
wanted a to choose a plant that suits their character.

so my question was what is a plant/tree that grows in an urban
enviorment, is a very high threat to buildings in terms of damage, has
very agressive and extensive roots that develop widely before it starts
to grow above the surface and is almost impossible to get rid of?

if such a plant exists or something the most simmiler to my description
id love to know. even if it doesnt have a very adaptable name such as
"japanese knot weed" i can find ways to mix it so that it can become
something more like a persons name so I will worry about that.

But yes I'd really appreciate you guys expertees!
thanks for your time,
John

Go to the latin

Latin name: Fallopia japonica (Houtt), (Reynoutria japonica, Polygonum
cuspidatum) Occurrence: Japanese knotweed is an invasive rhizomatous
perennial ...

Or more on to anagrams of part names

Reynoutria
is
http://wordsmith.org/anagram/anagram...ria&t=1000&a=n

Ani Rue Troy
amongst others.

Might be too complex for even the most hardy wordsmith to realise but
you'll know.
--
http://www.voucherfreebies.co.uk
Old 27-08-2011, 10:20 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

Hi I'm writing a story and am in the process of trying to name my main
character. I was hopeing to name them after a plant in someway but i
wanted a to choose a plant that suits their character.

so my question was what is a plant/tree that grows in an urban
enviorment, is a very high threat to buildings in terms of damage, has
very agressive and extensive roots that develop widely before it starts
to grow above the surface and is almost impossible to get rid of?

if such a plant exists or something the most simmiler to my description
id love to know. even if it doesnt have a very adaptable name such as
"japanese knot weed" i can find ways to mix it so that it can become
something more like a persons name so I will worry about that.

But yes I'd really appreciate you guys expertees!
thanks for your time,
John

You have just described Buddleia.
It's a nuisance in urban areas because its wind-blown seeds take root
on roofs and gutters It pops up in the most awkward places.
Old 27-08-2011, 10:25 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

Hi I'm writing a story and am in the process of trying to name my main
character. I was hopeing to name them after a plant in someway but i
wanted a to choose a plant that suits their character.

so my question was what is a plant/tree that grows in an urban
enviorment, is a very high threat to buildings in terms of damage, has
very agressive and extensive roots that develop widely before it starts
to grow above the surface and is almost impossible to get rid of?

You have just described Buddleia.
It's a nuisance in urban areas because its wind-blown seeds take root
on roofs and gutters It pops up in the most awkward places.

Well, not really. It's not a high threat, and doesn't cause any
more trouble (in the UK!) than a lot of other plants. Yes, it's
widespread and a bit of a nuisance in places, but nothing unusual.
Birch can be as bad, for example.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Old 27-08-2011, 11:01 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

[...]

Japanese knotweed becomes -

Pawnee K. Jadestone.

There's a character name, no?

Steve

Old 27-08-2011, 12:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , writes
wrote:

Hi I'm writing a story and am in the process of trying to name my main
character. I was hopeing to name them after a plant in someway but i
wanted a to choose a plant that suits their character.

so my question was what is a plant/tree that grows in an urban
enviorment, is a very high threat to buildings in terms of damage, has
very agressive and extensive roots that develop widely before it starts
to grow above the surface and is almost impossible to get rid of?

You have just described Buddleia.
It's a nuisance in urban areas because its wind-blown seeds take root
on roofs and gutters It pops up in the most awkward places.

Well, not really. It's not a high threat, and doesn't cause any
more trouble (in the UK!) than a lot of other plants. Yes, it's
widespread and a bit of a nuisance in places, but nothing unusual.
Birch can be as bad, for example.

Has anyone yet seen a Buddleia wood in the UK? (I've seen abandoned
factory sites dominated by Buddleia, but not with plants to the size of
the 15 footers in my back garden.)
---------------
The requirement for "very agressive and extensive roots that develop
widely before it starts to grow above the surface" effectively
eliminates most if not all candidates - most plants need to grow above
the surface to capture energy and carbon necessary for root growth. I
haven't heard of any parasite or mycoheterotrophic plants being a
problem for buildings (as opposed to agriculture).

Rafflesia is mostly occult, but technically it doesn't have roots.

Plants notorious for problematical root systems are Fallopia japonica,
Equisetum arvense and Salix species.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

--
Stewart Robert Hinsley
Old 27-08-2011, 12:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Stewart Robert Hinsley wrote:

Has anyone yet seen a Buddleia wood in the UK? (I've seen abandoned
factory sites dominated by Buddleia, but not with plants to the size of
the 15 footers in my back garden.)

If there is one, I should be flabberghasted. They get to that size
in good soil, but any of the common trees will then establish a few
seedlings and, within a few years, overtop the buddleia and take over.
It's only in conditions so bad that the others can't hack it that
they actually dominate.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 27-08-2011, 05:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Sacha" wrote...

, JohnsonII said:

Hi I'm writing a story and am in the process of trying to name my main
character. I was hopeing to name them after a plant in someway but i
wanted a to choose a plant that suits their character.

so my question was what is a plant/tree that grows in an urban
enviorment, is a very high threat to buildings in terms of damage, has
very agressive and extensive roots that develop widely before it starts
to grow above the surface and is almost impossible to get rid of?

if such a plant exists or something the most simmiler to my description
id love to know. even if it doesnt have a very adaptable name such as
"japanese knot weed" i can find ways to mix it so that it can become
something more like a persons name so I will worry about that.

But yes I'd really appreciate you guys expertees!
thanks for your time,
John

The roots before the plant things is the problem. But otherwise, I'd
suggest Willow, already used as a forename by some. Or Poplar.

Roots growing before anything shows above ground sounds like a lot of our
native Orchids but under no circumstances could they be described as
aggressive or invasive and impossible to get rid of. Also the mushroom
family also grow widespread underground before their fruiting bodies appear.
How about Honey Fungus?

-- Regards
Bob Hobden
Posting to this Newsgroup
from the W.of London. UK

Old 27-08-2011, 06:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Sacha" wrote ...

"Bob Hobden" said:

"Sacha" wrote...

, JohnsonII said:

[...]

'A high threat to buildings in terms of damage'?

If they are made of wood maybe, or a relative fungus "Dry Rot" could do the
damage.

-- Regards
Bob Hobden
Posting to this Newsgroup
from the W.of London. UK

Old 28-08-2011, 08:01 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2011-08-27 18:40:14 +0100, "Bob Hobden" said:

'A high threat to buildings in terms of damage'?

If they are made of wood maybe, or a relative fungus "Dry Rot" could do
the damage.

The denouement of the novel would have to be very protracted! ;-))

Try Vathek, or one of the classics like that. Protracted isn't
the word ....

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 28-08-2011, 03:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message
"Sacha" wrote ...

"Bob Hobden" said:

"Sacha" wrote...

, JohnsonII said:

[...]

How about Russ(ian) Vine ........a real thug !!
or
Polly.....Gonum.

Old 29-08-2011, 04:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"JohnsonII" wrote in message ...

Hi I'm writing a story and am in the process of trying to name my main
character. I was hopeing to name them after a plant in someway but i
wanted a to choose a plant that suits their character.

so my question was what is a plant/tree that grows in an urban
enviorment, is a very high threat to buildings in terms of damage, has
very agressive and extensive roots that develop widely before it starts
to grow above the surface and is almost impossible to get rid of?

I nominate - Attila Titchmarsh

Taxon character matrices database Daniel Plant Science 8 19-08-2007 04:17 PM
Rebel III Grass? Tony Miklos Lawns 13 27-03-2006 05:58 AM
Plant naming question Pat United Kingdom 32 13-11-2005 12:48 PM
Ponder rebel Outbound Flight Ponds 1 05-05-2005 01:35 PM