Old 23-03-2006, 03:35 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Tony Miklos

Default Rebel III Grass?

What is this stuff? Is it going to take over everything, or just all
the flower beds? Does it grow fast, slow, or average? Will it only
crowd out weeds in the lawn or will it take over other small plants like
wildflowers? I have a difficult lawn with greatly varying conditions
from nice rich soil next to the woods, and other patches of heavy clay.

Thanks,
Tony

Old 23-03-2006, 02:52 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Stubby

Try google(Rebel III). I noted there is now a Rebel IV.

Tony Miklos wrote:
What is this stuff? Is it going to take over everything, or just all
the flower beds? Does it grow fast, slow, or average? Will it only
crowd out weeds in the lawn or will it take over other small plants like
wildflowers? I have a difficult lawn with greatly varying conditions
from nice rich soil next to the woods, and other patches of heavy clay.

Thanks,
Tony

News==----
Newsgroups

Old 23-03-2006, 08:14 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Tony Miklos

Stubby wrote:
Try google(Rebel III). I noted there is now a Rebel IV.

I googled it before posting and again today. I saw 1 short thread from
this group, but most everything else was just selling the stuff, or had
something to do with Star Wars! Not much info.

I'll add that I am in Eastern TN, about 1650' elevation sloped and
facing almost directly south. (English mountain) I'm zone 6B most
places, but I just noticed I'm zoned 7 according to the arborday.org
hardiness zone.

Tony

Old 23-03-2006, 09:38 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Steveo

Tony Miklos wrote:
Stubby wrote:
Try google(Rebel III). I noted there is now a Rebel IV.

I googled it before posting and again today. I saw 1 short thread from
this group, but most everything else was just selling the stuff, or had
something to do with Star Wars! Not much info.

It's turf type tall fescue.
Old 24-03-2006, 05:37 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Tony Miklos

Steveo wrote:
Tony Miklos wrote:
Stubby wrote:
Try google(Rebel III). I noted there is now a Rebel IV.

I googled it before posting and again today. I saw 1 short thread from
this group, but most everything else was just selling the stuff, or had
something to do with Star Wars! Not much info.

It's turf type tall fescue.

So does this mean it may be a problem growing into flower beds or
choking out wildflowers?

Tony

Old 24-03-2006, 11:51 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Steveo

Tony Miklos wrote:
Steveo wrote:
Tony Miklos wrote:
Stubby wrote:
Try google(Rebel III). I noted there is now a Rebel IV.
I googled it before posting and again today. I saw 1 short thread
from this group, but most everything else was just selling the stuff,
or had something to do with Star Wars! Not much info.

It's turf type tall fescue.

So does this mean it may be a problem growing into flower beds or
choking out wildflowers?

Tony

No more so than any other turfgrass, it's not invasive like zoysia or bent.
Old 24-03-2006, 11:58 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Kyle Boatright

"Steveo" wrote in message
Tony Miklos wrote:
Steveo wrote:
Tony Miklos wrote:
Stubby wrote:
Try google(Rebel III). I noted there is now a Rebel IV.
I googled it before posting and again today. I saw 1 short thread
from this group, but most everything else was just selling the stuff,
or had something to do with Star Wars! Not much info.

It's turf type tall fescue.

So does this mean it may be a problem growing into flower beds or
choking out wildflowers?

Tony

No more so than any other turfgrass, it's not invasive like zoysia or
bent.

Zoysia is invasive, but in a glacially slow kind of way.

I bet the spread rate is 6" a year, maybe. Not like bermuda, which will
spread 2x or 3x as fast...

Old 25-03-2006, 12:06 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
dicko

On Fri, 24 Mar 2006 18:58:42 -0500, "Kyle Boatright"
wrote:

"Steveo" wrote in message
Tony Miklos wrote:
Steveo wrote:
Tony Miklos wrote:
Stubby wrote:
Try google(Rebel III). I noted there is now a Rebel IV.
I googled it before posting and again today. I saw 1 short thread
from this group, but most everything else was just selling the stuff,
or had something to do with Star Wars! Not much info.

It's turf type tall fescue.

So does this mean it may be a problem growing into flower beds or
choking out wildflowers?

Tony

No more so than any other turfgrass, it's not invasive like zoysia or
bent.

Zoysia is invasive, but in a glacially slow kind of way.

I bet the spread rate is 6" a year, maybe. Not like bermuda, which will
spread 2x or 3x as fast...

Has anyone tried any of the new Rhizomatous Tall Fescue cultivars now
on the market. How do they compare to normal tall fesque?

dickm
Old 25-03-2006, 02:05 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Steveo

"Kyle Boatright" wrote:
"Steveo" wrote in message
Tony Miklos wrote:
Steveo wrote:
Tony Miklos wrote:
Stubby wrote:
Try google(Rebel III). I noted there is now a Rebel IV.
I googled it before posting and again today. I saw 1 short thread
from this group, but most everything else was just selling the
stuff, or had something to do with Star Wars! Not much info.

It's turf type tall fescue.

So does this mean it may be a problem growing into flower beds or
choking out wildflowers?

Tony

No more so than any other turfgrass, it's not invasive like zoysia or
bent.

Zoysia is invasive, but in a glacially slow kind of way.

I bet the spread rate is 6" a year, maybe. Not like bermuda, which will
spread 2x or 3x as fast...

But...tall fescue is MUCH less invasive than either of those, Kyle. So no
worries if that was his concern, right?

--
30GB/month http://newsreader.com/
Old 25-03-2006, 02:07 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Steveo

dicko wrote:
How do they compare to normal tall fesque?

dickm

It has a thinner blade and darker color for starters.

--
30GB/month http://newsreader.com/

Old 25-03-2006, 02:38 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Kyle Boatright

"Steveo" wrote in message
"Kyle Boatright" wrote:
"Steveo" wrote in message
Tony Miklos wrote:
Steveo wrote:
Tony Miklos wrote:
Stubby wrote:
Try google(Rebel III). I noted there is now a Rebel IV.
I googled it before posting and again today. I saw 1 short thread
from this group, but most everything else was just selling the
stuff, or had something to do with Star Wars! Not much info.

It's turf type tall fescue.

So does this mean it may be a problem growing into flower beds or
choking out wildflowers?

Tony

No more so than any other turfgrass, it's not invasive like zoysia or
bent.

Zoysia is invasive, but in a glacially slow kind of way.

I bet the spread rate is 6" a year, maybe. Not like bermuda, which will
spread 2x or 3x as fast...

But...tall fescue is MUCH less invasive than either of those, Kyle. So no
worries if that was his concern, right?

Absolutely correct. Fescue doesn't spread...

--
30GB/month http://newsreader.com/

Old 25-03-2006, 02:21 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Stubby

Kyle Boatright wrote:
"Steveo" wrote in message
"Kyle Boatright" wrote:
"Steveo" wrote in message
Tony Miklos wrote:
Steveo wrote:
Tony Miklos wrote:
Stubby wrote:
Try google(Rebel III). I noted there is now a Rebel IV.
I googled it before posting and again today. I saw 1 short thread
from this group, but most everything else was just selling the
stuff, or had something to do with Star Wars! Not much info.

It's turf type tall fescue.
So does this mean it may be a problem growing into flower beds or
choking out wildflowers?

Tony

No more so than any other turfgrass, it's not invasive like zoysia or
bent.
Zoysia is invasive, but in a glacially slow kind of way.

I bet the spread rate is 6" a year, maybe. Not like bermuda, which will
spread 2x or 3x as fast...

But...tall fescue is MUCH less invasive than either of those, Kyle. So no
worries if that was his concern, right?

Absolutely correct. Fescue doesn't spread...

I've been overseeding and patching with Tall Fescue for about 5 years.
It seems to work very well. I don't have a problem with it invading
the flower gardens. Also, it has remained green during the hot summers
here in New England.
Old 26-03-2006, 03:29 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Kyle Boatright wrote:
"Steveo" wrote in message
"Kyle Boatright" wrote:
"Steveo" wrote in message
Tony Miklos wrote:
Steveo wrote:
Tony Miklos wrote:
Stubby wrote:
Try google(Rebel III). I noted there is now a Rebel IV.
I googled it before posting and again today. I saw 1 short thread
from this group, but most everything else was just selling the
stuff, or had something to do with Star Wars! Not much info.

It's turf type tall fescue.

So does this mean it may be a problem growing into flower beds or
choking out wildflowers?

Tony

No more so than any other turfgrass, it's not invasive like zoysia or
bent.

Zoysia is invasive, but in a glacially slow kind of way.

I bet the spread rate is 6" a year, maybe. Not like bermuda, which will
spread 2x or 3x as fast...

But...tall fescue is MUCH less invasive than either of those, Kyle. So no
worries if that was his concern, right?

Absolutely correct. Fescue doesn't spread...

I have to disagree on that one. The reference of the question is the
new types of tall fescue that do have the capability to spread by
rhizome. So, of course they are capable of expanding into flower beds,
etc, because that is precisely what they were developed to do. The
advantage is that now you have a TF that will fill in bar spots, as
opposed to remaining a clump grass.

So, if the OP is concerned about grass spreading and likes tall fescue,
he should just use one of the other turf types tall fescues, which
won;t spread, and that;s like 98% of them.

Of course, a better question is what exactly is the OP trying to do?
Is it full sun, shade, overseed, new lawn etc.

--
30GB/month http://newsreader.com/

Old 27-03-2006, 05:58 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
John Crichton

Tony Miklos wrote:
What is this stuff? Is it going to take over everything, or just all
the flower beds? Does it grow fast, slow, or average? Will it only
crowd out weeds in the lawn or will it take over other small plants like
wildflowers? I have a difficult lawn with greatly varying conditions
from nice rich soil next to the woods, and other patches of heavy clay.

Thanks,
Tony

News==----
Newsgroups

Tony,

I live in your area and have tried Rebel III and Southern Gold, both of
which are cultivated for the hotter drier summer we have which tend to
stress the heck tall fescues come late July and most of August. Of the
two, I have had better luck with Southern Gold. It seems to survive
drought and heat much better than Rebel III. I understand that there is
a Rebel IV out now. I haven't tried that one yet so I can't speak to
its virtues. You can find Southern Gold at your local Lowes. Neither
of these grasses will spread. They only spread by overseeding.

John

Naming a character (a rebel) after a plant JohnsonII United Kingdom 16 29-08-2011 04:10 PM
Damned Snakes III Revenge of the snakes! Gareee© Ponds 1 09-06-2005 06:14 PM
Ponder rebel Outbound Flight Ponds 1 05-05-2005 01:35 PM
plant ID III The Cook Edible Gardening 1 13-12-2004 05:39 PM
TOBS-Genesis: Creative day III ;;There be Plants here! Jabriol Plant Biology 7 07-09-2003 04:12 AM