Old 28-08-2011, 12:16 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
NT NT is offline

Default Purple berry

Anyone know what it is?
http://i54.tinypic.com/amskjo.jpg
It has red flesh inside. I'm guessing its not edible.

thank you, NT
Old 28-08-2011, 09:24 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

On 2011-08-28 00:16:57 +0100, NT said:

Anyone know what it is?
http://i54.tinypic.com/amskjo.jpg
It has red flesh inside. I'm guessing its not edible.

thank you, NT

It looks like Mahonia aquifolium. *Apparently, *people make jam from
the berries. I've never tried that, so this is 'at your own risk' and
not a recommendation!
--
Sachawww.hillhousenursery.com
South Devon

Mahonia aquifolium or Oregon Grape
The small purplish-black fruits, which are quite tart and contain
large seeds, are included in smaller quantities in the traditional
diets of Pacific Northwest aboriginal peoples, mixed with Salal or
another sweeter fruit. Today they are sometimes used to make jelly,
alone or mixed with salal Oregon grape juice can be fermented to make
wine, similar to European barberry wine folk traditions, although it
requires an unusually high amount of sugar
Old 28-08-2011, 08:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
NT NT is offline

On 2011-08-28 00:16:57 +0100, NT said:

[...]

briliant, thank you both. I've been able to confirm its definitely the
oregon grape.

NT
Old 14-10-2011, 01:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
NT NT is offline

On 2011-08-28 00:16:57 +0100, NT said:

[...]

I've another grape-like fruit I'm not sure what it is, but its not
another oregon grape.
http://tinypic.com/r/2eb8feo/7

Also some sort of oak, but the leaves are round:
http://tinypic.com/r/k3ayvl/7
(Its growng in water, but doesnt match the water oak).

And finally I presume this is snowberry:
http://tinypic.com/r/2jdncrb/7

thank you for all the help

NT
Old 14-10-2011, 01:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message
, NT
writes

On 2011-08-28 00:16:57 +0100, NT said:

[...]

Not an oak. It's an alder. In Britain I would place that as Alnus
glutinosa, but your reference to water oak suggests that you aren't in
Britain.

And finally I presume this is snowberry:
http://tinypic.com/r/2jdncrb/7

thank you for all the help

NT

--
Stewart Robert Hinsley

Old 14-10-2011, 07:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
NT NT is offline

On Oct 14, 1:58*pm, Janet wrote:
In article 237f108b-2434-4b92-8053-e4ba93fa72d3
@n18g2000vbv.googlegroups.com, says...

I've another grape-like fruit I'm not sure what it is, but its not
another oregon grape.
http://tinypic.com/r/2eb8feo/7

Blue berry, or possibly blaeberry.

Thanks. I looked this up, but am seeing an issue that my first photo
failed to show.
http://tinypic.com/r/34rf62q/7
This end-of-berry shot shows the absence of the 5 pointed flower scar
on what I've got, but both wiki and google images show that
characteristic hollow scar on all blueberry pictures.

The other thing I'm slightly puzzled about is the berries are green
fleshed inside, and dotted singly about the bush, not in bunches. Yet
wiki says

'Cyanococcus blueberries can be distinguished from the nearly
identical looking bilberries by cutting them in half. Ripe blueberries
have white or light green flesh, while bilberries and huckleberries
are red or purple throughout. Bilberries are most often found
singularly or in pairs, while blueberries are most often found in
clusters.[3]'

So, what's going on? My number one concern is to be sure its edible.

Also some sort of oak, but the leaves are round:
http://tinypic.com/r/k3ayvl/7

* No oak at all; it's alder

(Its growng in water, but doesnt match the water oak).

And finally I presume this is snowberry:
http://tinypic.com/r/2jdncrb/7

Yes

* Janet

Thanks

NT
Old 14-10-2011, 07:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message
, NT
writes
On Oct 14, 1:58*pm, Janet wrote:
[...]

I thought that it was Prunus, not Vaccinium, but I'm not confident of
the identification.

As for eating stuff, the rule of thumb should be on the lines of don't
eat something unless you are 110% sure of the identity.

Old 14-10-2011, 08:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

I've another grape-like fruit I'm not sure what it is, but its not
another oregon grape.http://tinypic.com/r/2eb8feo/7

It looks to me like Prunus spinosa known as blackthorn or sloe.
http://rxwildlife.org.uk/2006/08/17/blue-sloe-berries/
David
Old 14-10-2011, 10:39 PM
kay kay is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewart Robert Hinsley View Post
I thought that it was Prunus, not Vaccinium, but I'm not confident of
the identification.

As for eating stuff, the rule of thumb should be on the lines of don't
eat something unless you are 110% sure of the identity.]
What about if you're 100% sure it's, say, Rosaceae? Whereas if you were 100% sure it was an umbellifer, you'd avoid, carrots and parsnips notwithstanding.
__________________

Old 15-10-2011, 08:36 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message ,
writes
NT wrote:
I've another grape-like fruit I'm not sure what it is, but its not
another oregon grape.
http://tinypic.com/r/2eb8feo/7
Blue berry, or possibly blaeberry.

Thanks. I looked this up, but am seeing an issue that my first photo
failed to show.
http://tinypic.com/r/34rf62q/7
This end-of-berry shot shows the absence of the 5 pointed flower scar
on what I've got, but both wiki and google images show that
characteristic hollow scar on all blueberry pictures.

The other thing I'm slightly puzzled about is the berries are green
fleshed inside, and dotted singly about the bush, not in bunches. Yet
wiki says

Aronia berry?

Same problem as Vaccinium - there should be a "flower scar".

http://www.kruufm.com/node/10473
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley
Old 15-10-2011, 09:03 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

On Oct 15, 8:36*am, Stewart Robert Hinsley
wrote:
In message ,
writes

NT wrote:
I've another grape-like fruit I'm not sure what it is, but its not
another oregon grape.
http://tinypic.com/r/2eb8feo/7
Blue berry, or possibly blaeberry.
Thanks. I looked this up, but am seeing an issue that my first photo
failed to show.
http://tinypic.com/r/34rf62q/7
This end-of-berry shot shows the absence of the 5 pointed flower scar
on what I've got, but both wiki and google images show that
characteristic hollow scar on all blueberry pictures.

The other thing I'm slightly puzzled about is the berries are green
fleshed inside, and dotted singly about the bush, not in bunches. Yet
wiki says

Aronia berry?

Same problem as Vaccinium - there should be a "flower scar".

* * *http://www.kruufm.com/node/10473
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley- Hide quoted text -

The Sloe only has a small spot as a flower scar, if in doubt bite into
it, very sharp and astringent then it's a Sloe.
Old 15-10-2011, 11:57 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Stewart Robert Hinsley wrote:
I've another grape-like fruit I'm not sure what it is, but its not
another oregon grape.
http://tinypic.com/r/2eb8feo/7
Blue berry, or possibly blaeberry.
Thanks. I looked this up, but am seeing an issue that my first photo
failed to show.
http://tinypic.com/r/34rf62q/7
This end-of-berry shot shows the absence of the 5 pointed flower scar
on what I've got, but both wiki and google images show that
characteristic hollow scar on all blueberry pictures.

The other thing I'm slightly puzzled about is the berries are green
fleshed inside, and dotted singly about the bush, not in bunches. Yet
wiki says

Aronia berry?

Same problem as Vaccinium - there should be a "flower scar".

Sorry, I mis-read, I thought you /had/ the 5-star pattern, not that it was
missing. Sloe? Cherry plums?
Old 15-10-2011, 02:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
NT NT is offline

On Oct 15, 10:34*am, Janet wrote:
In article 138712f5-6a7b-45fc-9317-407b426e5115
@o14g2000vbd.googlegroups.com, says...

On Oct 15, 8:36*am, Stewart Robert Hinsley
wrote:
In message ,
writes

NT wrote:
[...]

*Small for sloes? It would help if the OP could tell us the plant size and
growth habit, and the size of the fruit... and whether *he's in a markedly
acid or alkaline area.

* * Janet

* *Janet.

Right, something else I failed to think of! The berries are half inch
diameter, they also lack the crease on one side the plum family has.
Plant size my memory's a bit hazy, it wasnt the only plant I was
looking at, but 3-6 foot high. The soil is clay, I believe alkaline,
and a bit on the wet side.

I totally agree with what someone said further up, I wont be eating
any until I'm positive I've got the identification right.

NT
Old 15-10-2011, 05:14 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

The Sloe only has a small spot as a flower scar, if in doubt bite into
it, very sharp and astringent then it's a Sloe.

*Small for sloes? It would help if the OP could tell us the plant size and
growth habit, and the size of the fruit... and whether *he's in a markedly
acid or alkaline area.

* * Janet

* *Janet.

Right, something else I failed to think of! The berries are half inch
diameter, they also lack the crease on one side the plum family has.
Plant size my memory's a bit hazy, it wasnt the only plant I was
looking at, but 3-6 foot high. The soil is clay, I believe alkaline,
and a bit on the wet side.

I totally agree with what someone said further up, I wont be eating
any until I'm positive I've got the identification right.

NT- Hide quoted text -

Who said anything about eating?
I said taste, that means getting the tip of your tongue onto the
inside flesh, that wont kill you, it wont make you ill, it will just
let you know that they ARE Sloes.
Even Nightshade in that ammount would have no effect on you.
They are far less harmefull than Green tomatoes, green potatoes, Raw
Rhubarb, or for that matter raw Onions or a spoonfull of sugar.

Damn! forgot name of Purple-berry plant... MG United Kingdom 2 21-11-2004 09:37 PM
Another berry challenge Tim Tyler United Kingdom 22 24-07-2003 09:12 PM
berry pictures larry Gardening 3 20-05-2003 12:44 AM
winter berry plant ev United Kingdom 0 05-04-2003 03:32 PM
Birds love the Saskatoon berry Dr. Sweeny Orchids 4 11-03-2003 11:21 PM