Old 31-08-2011, 10:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
NT NT is offline

Default Rhubarb

Can rhubarb be grown from supermarket rhubarb stalks? google isnt
helping.

NT
Old 01-09-2011, 08:15 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Aug 31, 10:55*pm, NT wrote:
Can rhubarb be grown from supermarket rhubarb stalks? google isnt
helping.

NT

No. You need to buy/beg a "crown" (root.) A month or so on is the
time to plant.
Buy or get a piece off someone who has rhubarb.
Old 01-09-2011, 09:10 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

On Sep 1, 8:15*am, harry wrote:
On Aug 31, 10:55*pm, NT wrote:

Can rhubarb be grown from supermarket rhubarb stalks? google isnt
helping.

NT

No. You need to buy/beg a "crown" (root.) * *A month or so on is the
time to plant.
Buy or get a piece off someone who has rhubarb.

No, but they are good cooked and served with custard
Old 01-09-2011, 09:22 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Dave Hill wrote in news:c27055a1-b736-419a-
:

No, but they are good cooked and served with custard

Slurp. Never get fed up of that.

Baz
Old 01-09-2011, 09:39 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 01/09/2011 10:10, Dave Hill wrote:
On Sep 1, 8:15 am, wrote:
On Aug 31, 10:55 pm, wrote:

Can rhubarb be grown from supermarket rhubarb stalks? google isnt
helping.

NT

No. You need to buy/beg a "crown" (root.) A month or so on is the
time to plant.
Buy or get a piece off someone who has rhubarb.

No, but they are good cooked and served with custard

I put manure on mine. ;-) (Think I've got that old joke backwards)

--
David in Normandy.
by a filter and not reach my inbox.

Old 01-09-2011, 09:50 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

. fr...
On Sep 1, 8:15 am, wrote:
On Aug 31, 10:55 pm, wrote:

Can rhubarb be grown from supermarket rhubarb stalks? google isnt
helping.

NT

No. You need to buy/beg a "crown" (root.) A month or so on is the
time to plant.
Buy or get a piece off someone who has rhubarb.

No, but they are good cooked and served with custard

I put manure on mine. ;-) (Think I've got that old joke backwards)

--
David in Normandy.
by a filter and not reach my inbox.

Rhubarb is always sweeter if pulled late in the day after the sun has been
on it all day.

Mike

Old 01-09-2011, 10:31 AM
Registered User

Location: Chalfont St Giles

Quote:
Originally Posted by NT View Post
Can rhubarb be grown from supermarket rhubarb stalks? google isnt helping.
No. There are no buds or nodes in a rhubarb stalk, so nothing to start growing. The stalks don't even have the right kind of cells for propagation by tissue culture. This is what google should have found for you: http://www.rhubarbinfo.com/propagating
Old 01-09-2011, 07:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Wed, 31 Aug 2011 14:55:38 -0700 (PDT), NT
wrote:

Can rhubarb be grown from supermarket rhubarb stalks? google isnt
helping.

NT

If there was a really stumpy bit of crown on it maybe ...
See if they sell plants - Morrisons do lots of plants/bulbs etc
--
http://www.voucherfreebies.co.uk

Old 01-09-2011, 11:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

wrote:

Can rhubarb be grown from supermarket rhubarb stalks? google isnt
helping.

NT

If there was a really stumpy bit of crown on it maybe ...
See if they sell plants - Morrisons do lots of plants/bulbs etc

Too early. But when buying, be aware that sometimes a pot with what
looks like a well-developed plant may turn out to be two or three much
younger roots. I bought one from the greengrocer's to fill a gap last
year, and found I'd got three: all quite healthy, though small, but I
really only wanted one. For some reason I had been suspicious, but the
kid behind the counter clearly had no idea what I was talking about,
so I took the pot anyway. It didn't matter to me, but if you're
starting from scratch, it would be a nuisance.

--
Mike.