Old 01-09-2011, 12:14 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales
Default Leylandii seed

From everything I read Leylandii are sterile, but I have one that I
have had to cut down that is loaded with seed cones, I am wondering if
they can cross with another form of conifer to form seed of is it just
their form of Phantom Pregnancy?
Old 01-09-2011, 01:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Thu, 1 Sep 2011 04:14:40 -0700 (PDT), Dave Hill
wrote:

From everything I read Leylandii are sterile, but I have one that I
have had to cut down that is loaded with seed cones, I am wondering if
they can cross with another form of conifer to form seed of is it just
their form of Phantom Pregnancy?

AFAIK Haggerton Grey and Leighton Green are two forms of leylandii
which produce cones (there may be others). The former is particularly
interesting (to me anyway) as it was an "accidental" cross in a Welsh
nursery. I assume that by "accidental" whoever wrote what I read
somewhere meant that the trees did it rather than someone deliberately
trying to graft or whatever. So it would appear that they can cross
with different forms though I do not know how.

Cheers
Jake
Gardening at the dry end (east) of Swansea Bay
in between reading anything by JRR Tolkien.

www.rivendell.org.uk
Old 01-09-2011, 09:07 PM
kay kay is offline
Registered User

Alternatively, are the trees actually leylandii and not eg lawson cypress?

COLUMN TYPE LEYLANDII alan kearn United Kingdom 3 25-03-2003 11:32 PM
[IBC] Leylandii Cypress Billy M. Rhodes Bonsai 0 09-02-2003 10:55 PM
Leylandii Cypress ss Bonsai 0 09-02-2003 09:25 PM
using an angle-grinder to cut down live Leylandii dave @ stejonda United Kingdom 48 20-12-2002 12:11 AM
Leylandii - Its days are numbered! Drakanthus United Kingdom 49 18-12-2002 02:21 AM