Old 01-09-2011, 08:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Strawberries - second crop?

In article , wrote:

I just noticed our strawbwerries are flowering again, will they

Very likely. Most strawberries will do that, though the second crop
is small in varieties not bred for it.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 01-09-2011, 09:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

I just noticed our strawbwerries are flowering again, will they
produce a second crop (frost allowing)?

--
Chris Green
Old 02-09-2011, 12:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

X-No Archive:Yes
On Sep 2, 9:07*am, Derek wrote:
On Thu, 1 Sep 2011 21:06:21 +0100, wrote:
I just noticed our strawbwerries are flowering again, will they
produce a second crop (frost allowing)?

Personally I always remove the flowers, would rather build up the
plants for next year's crop.
New site in the making,
Lincolnshire Gamemakers for 2012http://2012volunteer.co.uk/

Would removing the flowers really build up the plants? I have never
done that, I may well do an experiment, take off the flowers off half
the plants and not the others to see what difference there is next
year.
Old 02-09-2011, 02:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Fri, 02 Sep 2011 12:09:04 GMT, Baz wrote:

Judith in France wrote in news:67dcb977-eb13-
:

X-No Archive:Yes
On Sep 2, 9:07*am, Derek wrote:
On Thu, 1 Sep 2011 21:06:21 +0100, wrote:
I just noticed our strawbwerries are flowering again, will they
produce a second crop (frost allowing)?

Personally I always remove the flowers, would rather build up the
plants for next year's crop.
New site in the making,
Lincolnshire Gamemakers for 2012http://2012volunteer.co.uk/

Would removing the flowers really build up the plants? I have never
done that, I may well do an experiment, take off the flowers off half
the plants and not the others to see what difference there is next
year.

From what information I can gather it is absolutely ok. to leave the
flowers(blossom?) on. It is the suckers which may be growing that sap the
energy out of a plant, if you know what I mean by suckers, the new baby
plants. I think that flowers and suckers should not be on the same plant.
One or the other. you can nip out the suckers, but a plant is only ok. for
3 years? so try and root the suckers for the future to replace the current
ones when they are past their best.
Hope you can understand my muddled reply.

Baz

You've answered a question for me. Last year my then 2-year old plants
were producing fruit through the autumn but comparatively few runners.
This year, which is probably their last, they fruited copiously in
June/July but that's it. Instead I've got 2 or 3 really good runners
from each plant so I guess it's either a good second crop or good
runners.

Cheers
Jake
Gardening at the dry end (east) of Swansea Bay
in between reading anything by JRR Tolkien.

www.rivendell.org.uk
Old 02-09-2011, 02:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Jake Nospam@invalid wrote in
:

You've answered a question for me. Last year my then 2-year old plants
were producing fruit through the autumn but comparatively few runners.
This year, which is probably their last, they fruited copiously in
June/July but that's it. Instead I've got 2 or 3 really good runners
from each plant so I guess it's either a good second crop or good
runners.

Cheers
Jake

Yes Jake, thats how I understand it.
Might be too late now, but one runner per plant.

I have weighted mine in pots to put in a new bed and that's going to be a
week or so now as most runners have got a nice root. Just have to see what
goes on next spring. To be honest, I can hardly wait to see.

For your information, save egg shells and crush them up to put around the
plants so slugs can't get them. And a cage made out of some metal mesh to
keep the birds off.(makes you wonder why we bother growing them)

Don't forget to give them as much compost you can NOW. Failing that blood
fish and bone.

Baz
Old 02-09-2011, 03:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Fri, 02 Sep 2011 13:47:24 GMT, Baz wrote:

[...]

I grow my strawberries in a tower type contraption which is easy to
drape a net over and it's easier to get at the fruits. I never have
enough egg-shells to meet demand but I've got round that problem in a
more permanent way - on my work travels I collect from offices any
unwanted CDs. I've got a shredder that pulverises them into little
slivers which I spread around everywhere. The slivers last a lot
longer than eggs and produce a lovely shiny effect under plants when
the sun shines on them. At the end of the year they just get dug into
the soil to improve drainage like grit would!

I've allowed the runners to develop in quantity (just cutting each to
a single plantlet) as I think the parent plants will have now passed
their prime so no harm done to them and I can select the best rooted
ones to replace them. I'll add the blood, fish and bone when I plant
them.

Cheers
Jake
Gardening at the dry end (east) of Swansea Bay
in between reading anything by JRR Tolkien.

www.rivendell.org.uk

Tomato question -- second crop.. AndyS Edible Gardening 9 23-03-2011 06:00 PM
second crop spuds dirt dibbler United Kingdom 6 15-06-2005 12:01 PM
second year perenials dc Texas 1 05-03-2004 04:29 AM
Second post from Ann dave weil Roses 0 17-11-2003 04:22 PM
Onion Sets - Second Year? Andy Sanson United Kingdom 3 20-06-2003 09:44 AM