Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 13-09-2011, 10:19 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Default Tomato stories

So everyone has had blight. Has anyone escaped without?
What varieties did well vs the blight this year? What performed well and
badly? And any new and interesting varieties to tell us about?

I had Shirley on the allotment, which lasted much longer than anyone else's
before succumbing to the dreaded, but they've gone now, too. (Also the
volunteer tomatoes under the sweetcorn all went about the same time, but no
idea what variety they would have been)

Both greenhouses got blight before the allotment, although everyone else's
allotment was infected very early on.

As disgusted in another thread, my GD this year were huge! (for GD,
anyhow). They are still 'small tomato' size, but in no way could you call
them a cherry. Oddly, there are some on the same plant that are GD sized,
but they don't taste like GD, they taste unripe, even when they reach the
right colour.

Incidentally, I noticed the Sweet Millions are also larger than they should
be, they are more like large GD size, where Nick's mum's (which were bought
as plants, not as seed) are teenytiny things.

Of the 'odd' varities, the cream sausage that I picked up from Hampshire
potato day were the first to get anywhere near ripe, have produced well,
turned out to be determinate, which I didn't expect ... and were also the
first to be caught by the blight. :-( Been cutting out the infected bits
of plant whilst trying to help the fruit ripen, but there's not a lot of
plant left now! They're not spectacular tasting, but they're ok.

And for the first time ever, my Pineapple tomatoes have made it to fruit!
This is the end of a packet from 3-4 years ago, every year previously
they've either not germinated, or not thrived. I've just gone out and I
have 1 plant (there was only one 'good' one - my dad had the other that was
ok, but he got July hail, and apparently all the leaves went white spotty
where the hail hit!!) and it has 3 or 4 large, ridged bright orange fruits!
I will be interested in the tasting!

Anyone else got any tomato news to share? (apologies in advance, I've just
decided to Nick most of this for my very neglected blog!)

who just bought a driveway torch? Sarge? and any stories yet? Clark... Lawns 1 06-01-2008 10:36 PM
Growing coriander - any success stories/ ashnook United Kingdom 3 09-01-2005 07:49 PM
My Worst Planted Aquarium Mistake (Please Contribute Stories!) Dave Millman Freshwater Aquaria Plants 19 09-12-2004 04:59 AM
Elm Tree stories RoyDMercer Lawns 2 18-04-2004 04:04 PM
New Thread: Funniest Orchid Stories Diana Kulaga Orchids 10 07-10-2003 11:09 PM