Old 15-09-2011, 10:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales
Default Saving pollen

I want to save pollen from some dahlias to use next year.
Has anyone here ever saved pollen?
How did you do it?
David Hill
Old 15-09-2011, 10:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Dave Hill" wrote in message
I want to save pollen from some dahlias to use next year.
Has anyone here ever saved pollen?
How did you do it?
David Hill

Ask the bees! Seriously, I'm not sure you can. I suppose you could try
and collect it and keep it in a paper bag.
Why do you want to, as a matter of interest?
Tina

Old 15-09-2011, 10:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Dave Hill" wrote

I want to save pollen from some dahlias to use next year.
Has anyone here ever saved pollen?
How did you do it?

Something in my memory says they deep freeze it.
Ask Kew and/or the Millennium Seed Bank what they do.
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

Old 16-09-2011, 09:23 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

On Sep 15, 10:16*pm, "Christina Websell"
wrote:
"Dave Hill" wrote in message

I want to save pollen from some dahlias to use next year.
Has anyone here ever saved pollen?
How did you do it?
David Hill

Ask the bees! * Seriously, I'm not sure you can. *I suppose you could try
and collect it and keep it in a paper bag.
Why do you want to, as a matter of interest?
Tina

I know it can be done, and can be kept for several years if done
properly.
I want to cross a very late flowering dahlia with some early flowering
varieties.
Old 16-09-2011, 10:16 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article
,
Dave Hill writes
I want to save pollen from some dahlias to use next year.
Has anyone here ever saved pollen?
How did you do it?
David Hill

According to Orchid growers on Internet David

"I do freeze daylily pollen, but someone else may have ideas for you on
Hostas.

Here's my technique, anyway: I stuff those tiny micro-centrifuge tubes
with cotton, than bring it to the pollen, and collect the pollen onto
the cotton. Close tube, label. Put in freezer.

Take out of freezer 5 minutes or so before opening to use, to avoid
condensation.

The cotton seems to maintain moisture balance."
--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph

Old 16-09-2011, 10:19 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message
ps.com

wrote:
"Dave Hill" wrote in message

I want to save pollen from some dahlias to use next year.
Has anyone here ever saved pollen?
How did you do it?
David Hill

Ask the bees! * Seriously, I'm not sure you can. *I suppose you could try
and collect it and keep it in a paper bag.
Why do you want to, as a matter of interest?
Tina

I know it can be done, and can be kept for several years if done
properly.
I want to cross a very late flowering dahlia with some early flowering
varieties.

I have tried to cross varieties of alder with different pollen-drop
times. I did it by cutting twigs of the early pollener and putting
them in the fridge in water and taking them out into room temperature
a few days before needed. Not so practical with dahlias though!

Michael Bell

Old 16-09-2011, 10:50 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:
"Dave wrote in message

I want to save pollen from some dahlias to use next year.
Has anyone here ever saved pollen?
How did you do it?
David Hill

Ask the bees! Seriously, I'm not sure you can. I suppose you could try
and collect it and keep it in a paper bag.
Why do you want to, as a matter of interest?
Tina

I know it can be done, and can be kept for several years if done
properly.
I want to cross a very late flowering dahlia with some early flowering
varieties.

Forgive me, David, if I'm being particlarly dense, but wouldn't it be
easier to save the early-flowering dahlia pollen for 2 or 3 months until
the late-flowerer blooms and then cross them, rather than try and keep
pollen viable for a year?

--
Spider
from high ground in SE London
Old 16-09-2011, 01:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

*wrote:
"Dave *wrote in message

[...]

gardening on clay- Hide quoted text -

As the late dahlias don't come into flower till November there is no
time for them to set seed and have it develop, where as I could cut
the flowers in bud if I have to and still be able to get pollen from
them.
Old 16-09-2011, 01:14 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

On Sep 16, 10:16*am, Janet Tweedy wrote:
In article
,
Dave Hill writes

I want to save pollen from some dahlias to use next year.
Has anyone here ever saved pollen?
How did you do it?
David Hill

According to Orchid growers on Internet David

"I do freeze daylily pollen, but someone else may have ideas for you on
Hostas.

Here's my technique, anyway: I stuff those tiny micro-centrifuge tubes
with cotton, than bring it to the pollen, and collect the pollen onto
the cotton. Close tube, label. Put in freezer.

Take out of freezer 5 minutes or so before opening to use, to avoid
condensation.

The cotton seems to maintain moisture balance."
--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraphhttp://www.lancedal.demon.co.uk

That seems to be the way to do it Janet, I have wondered about cotton
buds rather than cotton wool as it would be easier to use 1 at a time
to pollenate over a few days.
But what's that about Hostas?
David.
Old 16-09-2011, 01:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article
,
Dave Hill writes
That seems to be the way to do it Janet, I have wondered about cotton
buds rather than cotton wool as it would be easier to use 1 at a time
to pollenate over a few days.
But what's that about Hostas?

I was quoting from their site David so no idea where Hostas come in
though the amount of new ones that come out, like Heucheras is
phenomenal!

Old 16-09-2011, 09:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:
"Dave wrote in message

[...]

Crikey! November *is* late. All understood now.