Old 20-09-2011, 08:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Manure - Problems in the future.

I keep on getting loads of manure.
There must be a point where the garden is overloaded and I must have to get
rid of some perfectly good soil? As in volume, The garden looks piled up at
the moment.
Don't get me wrong, I love them (the stable) dropping a load of rotten
horse sh*t on my drive, FOC now almost. I pay fuel costs for the truck.
Once upon a time I could not get it for love or money, and now it almost
comes through the taps..

Baz
Old 20-09-2011, 09:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Tue, 20 Sep 2011 19:53:32 GMT, Baz wrote:

I keep on getting loads of manure.
There must be a point where the garden is overloaded and I must have to get
rid of some perfectly good soil? As in volume, The garden looks piled up at
the moment.
Don't get me wrong, I love them (the stable) dropping a load of rotten
horse sh*t on my drive, FOC now almost. I pay fuel costs for the truck.
Once upon a time I could not get it for love or money, and now it almost
comes through the taps..

Baz

Don't worry Baz. It reduces in volume as it rots down and, anyway, the
worst that can happen is that you don't need to use a ladder to clean
the upstairs windows .

Seriously, my mother added a wad of the stuff to her veg patch every
year for 20+ years and when she died it wasn't any higher than when
she started.

Cheers, Jake
URGling from the less wet end of Swansea Bay in between
ploughing through books and catalogues for alternatives
to impatiens.

www.rivendell.org.uk
Old 20-09-2011, 09:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Jake Nospam@invalid wrote in
:

Don't worry Baz. It reduces in volume as it rots down and, anyway, the
worst that can happen is that you don't need to use a ladder to clean
the upstairs windows .

Seriously, my mother added a wad of the stuff to her veg patch every
year for 20+ years and when she died it wasn't any higher than when
she started.

Cheers, Jake
URGling from the less wet end of Swansea Bay in between
ploughing through books and catalogues for alternatives
to impatiens.

www.rivendell.org.uk

Well then I feel better knowing that.

Thanks
Baz
Old 20-09-2011, 09:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 20/09/2011 21:53, Baz wrote:
I keep on getting loads of manure.
There must be a point where the garden is overloaded and I must have to get
rid of some perfectly good soil? As in volume, The garden looks piled up at
the moment.
Don't get me wrong, I love them (the stable) dropping a load of rotten
horse sh*t on my drive, FOC now almost. I pay fuel costs for the truck.
Once upon a time I could not get it for love or money, and now it almost
comes through the taps..

Baz

You may need to add some lime though periodically to stop the soil
becoming too acid.

--
David in Normandy.
by a filter and not reach my inbox.
Old 21-09-2011, 08:15 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sep 20, 9:10*pm, Baz wrote:
Jake Nospam@invalid wrote :

Don't worry Baz. It reduces in volume as it rots down and, anyway, the
worst that can happen is that you don't need to use a ladder to clean
the upstairs windows .

Seriously, my mother added a wad of the stuff to her veg patch every
year for 20+ years and when she died it wasn't any higher than when
she started.

Cheers, Jake
URGling from the less wet end of Swansea Bay in between
ploughing through books and catalogues for alternatives
to impatiens.

www.rivendell.org.uk

Well then I feel better knowing that.

Thanks
Baz- Hide quoted text -

Yes rots away to virtually nothing. But vastly improves the soil.
If you have a surplus, just shovel it onto the flower beds etc, leave
on surface. Will disappear in a couple of months.
Add to compost heap.
Yes you will need lime but not while the shit is freshly applied.

Old 21-09-2011, 09:20 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

On Sep 21, 8:15*am, harry wrote:
On Sep 20, 9:10*pm, Baz wrote:

Jake Nospam@invalid wrote :

[...]

Yes you will need lime but not while the shit is freshly applied.- Hide quoted text -

In the 19th century "French Gardening" required that well over 100
tons of fresh horse manure per acre was used every year, to make "hot
beds" etc.
The cropping was very intensive often getting up to 7 crops a year of
the one piece of ground.
The soil level was hardly raised over the years, but they did have
fantastic soil.
Old 21-09-2011, 09:22 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

On Sep 21, 9:20*am, Dave Hill wrote:
On Sep 21, 8:15*am, harry wrote:

On Sep 20, 9:10*pm, Baz wrote:

Jake Nospam@invalid wrote :

[...]

fantastic soil.- Hide quoted text -

What I should have added was that most of the ground would be double
dug every year so that they had a growing depth of 18 inches or more.
Sometimes ground was even tripple dug.
Old 21-09-2011, 04:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sep 21, 8:15*am, harry wrote:

On Sep 20, 9:10*pm, Baz wrote:

Jake Nospam@invalid wrote :

[...]

Sometimes ground was even tripple dug.- Hide quoted text -

OK when you have an army of peasants to do the digging!

Old 22-09-2011, 06:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sep 21, 8:15 am, harry wrote:

On Sep 20, 9:10 pm, Baz wrote:

Jake Nospam@invalid wrote
:

[...]

Why, doesn't everybody have an army to do the digging?

Alan

Old 22-09-2011, 06:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Baz" wrote in message
harry wrote in
:

In the 19th century "French Gardening" required that well over 100
tons of fresh horse manure per acre was used every year, to make
"hot beds" etc.
The cropping was very intensive often getting up to 7 crops a year
of the one piece of ground.
The soil level was hardly raised over the years, but they did have
fantastic soil.- Hide quoted text -

What I should have added was that most of the ground would be double
dug every year so that they had a growing depth of 18 inches or more.
Sometimes ground was even tripple dug.- Hide quoted text -

OK when you have an army of peasants to do the digging!

You are invited

I want him first!

Alan

Baz

Old 22-09-2011, 10:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

alan.holmes wrote:
Why, doesn't everybody have an army to do the digging?

I do. Unforunately mine keep wandering off to eat raspberries, play in the
sandpit, and discover extraordinarily long worms.
Old 23-09-2011, 08:10 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sep 21, 8:15 am, harry wrote:

On Sep 20, 9:10 pm, Baz wrote:

Jake Nospam@invalid wrote
:

[...]

Alan- Hide quoted text -

Wife?
Old 23-09-2011, 09:20 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 21/09/2011 17:48, harry wrote:
On Sep 21, 9:22 am, Dave wrote:
On Sep 21, 9:20 am, Dave wrote:

On Sep 21, 8:15 am, wrote:

[...]