Old 09-07-2008, 11:20 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Horse Manure - Problems

I was talking to someone yesterday and he said that his allotment
society had now banned people from taking horse manure in to the
allotment area.

He said it was due to some dangerous "spores" being found in some
locally (Altrincham Cheshire) - but he had no details.

I've searched - but cannot find any reports of problems?

Anyone hazard a guess at what he is on about !! (He does get confused
so there may be nothing in it)
Old 09-07-2008, 12:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"stephen.hill" wrote in message

I was talking to someone yesterday and he said that his allotment
society had now banned people from taking horse manure in to the
allotment area.

He said it was due to some dangerous "spores" being found in some
locally (Altrincham Cheshire) - but he had no details.

I've searched - but cannot find any reports of problems?

Anyone hazard a guess at what he is on about !! (He does get confused
so there may be nothing in it)

I wonder if they are referring to the problem highlighted on GQT last
Sunday, see attached link
http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/gqt/

--
Rowdens Reservoir Allotments Association
www.rraa.moonfruit.com

Old 09-07-2008, 01:24 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Wed, 09 Jul 2008 11:20:00 +0100, stephen.hill
wrote:

I was talking to someone yesterday and he said that his allotment
society had now banned people from taking horse manure in to the
allotment area.

He said it was due to some dangerous "spores" being found in some
locally (Altrincham Cheshire) - but he had no details.

I've searched - but cannot find any reports of problems?

Anyone hazard a guess at what he is on about !! (He does get confused
so there may be nothing in it)

There was some bloke who died from inhaling spores from leaves I think
http://news.google.co.uk/news?source...21925474&hl=en
--
http://www.freedeliveryuk.co.uk
http://www.holidayunder100.co.uk
Old 09-07-2008, 02:34 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Wed, 9 Jul 2008 12:53:16 +0100, "Robert \(Plymouth\)"
wrote:

"stephen.hill" wrote in message
.. .

I was talking to someone yesterday and he said that his allotment
society had now banned people from taking horse manure in to the
allotment area.

He said it was due to some dangerous "spores" being found in some
locally (Altrincham Cheshire) - but he had no details.

I've searched - but cannot find any reports of problems?

Anyone hazard a guess at what he is on about !! (He does get confused
so there may be nothing in it)

I wonder if they are referring to the problem highlighted on GQT last
Sunday, see attached link
http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/gqt/

Excellent - that is almost certainly what prompted the comment - many
thanks.
Old 09-07-2008, 02:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

I was talking to someone yesterday and he said that his allotment
society had now banned people from taking horse manure in to the
allotment area.

He said it was due to some dangerous "spores" being found in some
locally (Altrincham Cheshire) - but he had no details.

I've searched - but cannot find any reports of problems?

Anyone hazard a guess at what he is on about !! (He does get confused
so there may be nothing in it)

There was some bloke who died from inhaling spores from leaves I think
http://news.google.co.uk/news?source...21925474&hl=en

May thanks - I suspect that it was more likely the GQT item which
Robert has linked.

I must say it is interesting to see the "dangers" we expose ourselves
to!!!

Old 10-07-2008, 12:53 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Hi Guys

I Never use Horse Shit or Cow Dung As A Semi Pro Landscape Gardener
Use Mushroom or Natural Grass etc Mixed with Soil & May Be Some Lime
Regards
Skinty

Old 10-07-2008, 08:38 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
says...
Hi Guys

I Never use Horse Shit or Cow Dung As A Semi Pro Landscape Gardener
Use Mushroom or Natural Grass etc Mixed with Soil & May Be Some Lime
Regards
Skinty

I thought mushroom compost was horse manure and peat?
--
Charlie Pridham, Gardening in Cornwall
www.roselandhouse.co.uk
Old 10-07-2008, 05:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message
from Charlie Pridham contains these words:

I thought mushroom compost was horse manure and peat?

Often 'tis, sometimes with a little added whiting. Also, spruce needles
and whiting are used in some areas.

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig
Old 11-07-2008, 06:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 10 Jul, 09:07, Broadback wrote:
The way lots of things are being banned or declared unhealthy it will
soon be a boring grey world!

C'mon! This is herbicide, aminopyralid we're talking about. It's an
hormone type herbicide for weeds on pastures. Why?! Can't the horses
find the right stuff to eat? I'm no expert on horses, nor pastures,
but there's something really odd with using pesticide on pastures.

Old 11-07-2008, 06:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

stephen.hill wrote:

I was talking to someone yesterday and he said that his allotment
society had now banned people from taking horse manure in to the
allotment area.

He said it was due to some dangerous "spores" being found in some
locally (Altrincham Cheshire) - but he had no details.

I've searched - but cannot find any reports of problems?

Anyone hazard a guess at what he is on about !! (He does get confused
so there may be nothing in it)

Not sure if there are spores, but I had a weed free garden at my last
house, I then had a trailer of horse manure delivered one winter, and
was inundated with weeds for the next 5 years, presumably from seeds
amongst the horse dung.
Alan.
Old 11-07-2008, 08:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

On 11 Jul, 18:36, (A.Lee) wrote:
stephen.hill wrote:
I was talking to someone yesterday and he said that his allotment
society had now banned people from taking horse manure in to the
allotment area.

He said it was due to some dangerous "spores" being found in some
locally (Altrincham Cheshire) - but he had no details.

I've searched - but cannot find any reports of problems?

Anyone hazard a guess at what he is on about !! *(He does get confused
so there may be nothing in it)

Not sure if there are spores, but I had a weed free garden at my last
house, I then had a trailer of horse manure delivered one winter, and
was inundated with weeds for the next 5 years, presumably from seeds
amongst the horse dung.
Alan.

I suspect it is as a result of reading something like this.
http://www.guardian.co.uk/science/20...edicalresearch
David Hill
Old 11-07-2008, 09:34 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"A.Lee" wrote in message
stephen.hill wrote:

I was talking to someone yesterday and he said that his allotment
society had now banned people from taking horse manure in to the
allotment area.

He said it was due to some dangerous "spores" being found in some
locally (Altrincham Cheshire) - but he had no details.

I've searched - but cannot find any reports of problems?

Anyone hazard a guess at what he is on about !! (He does get confused
so there may be nothing in it)

Not sure if there are spores, but I had a weed free garden at my last
house, I then had a trailer of horse manure delivered one winter, and
was inundated with weeds for the next 5 years, presumably from seeds
amongst the horse dung.

Correct composting at a high temperature should kill all the weed seeds.
I have a feeling the spores in horse manure might be an urban scare legend
or refer to a mould spore such as Aspergillus found on rotting plant
material.

--
Chris
Ignoti nulla cupido

Old 12-07-2008, 12:54 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

On 11 Jul, 21:34, "Cerumen" wrote:
"A.Lee" wrote in message

stephen.hill wrote:

[...]

Ignoti nulla cupido- Hide quoted text -

It's nothing to do with weed seed, it's the various fungus that grow
in compost/straw/hay when it is damp but not wet enough to rot down.
hence things like Farmers Lung etc.
David Hill
Abacus Nurseries
Old 12-07-2008, 01:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Jul 11, 6:28�pm, wrote:
On 10 Jul, 09:07, Broadback wrote:

The way lots of things are being banned or declared unhealthy it will
soon be a boring grey world!

C'mon! This is herbicide, aminopyralid we're talking about. It's an
hormone type herbicide for weeds on pastures. Why?! Can't the horses
find the right stuff to eat? I'm no expert on horses, nor pastures,
but there's something really odd with using pesticide on pastures.

I know what you are saying, but It might be more a case of fields
growing hay for winter use being treated with these hormones rather
than actual grazing pastures, I could be wrong though.