Old 22-09-2011, 07:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales
Default Seeds at Tesco

I was in our local Tesco this afternoon and they are selling of this
years seeds 75% off, a lot of them will be fine for next year.
Old 22-09-2011, 09:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Dave Hill" wrote in message
I was in our local Tesco this afternoon and they are selling of this
years seeds 75% off, a lot of them will be fine for next year.

How much did they end up, cost-wise?

Old 22-09-2011, 09:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Thu, 22 Sep 2011 11:27:53 -0700 (PDT), Dave Hill
wrote:

I was in our local Tesco this afternoon and they are selling of this
years seeds 75% off, a lot of them will be fine for next year.

Unfortunately our branch have sold out already, last week it was just
a few herbs and common annuals left.
New site in the making,
Lincolnshire Gamemakers for 2012
http://2012volunteer.co.uk/
Old 22-09-2011, 10:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2011-09-22 21:51:58 +0100, "Christina Websell"
said:

"Dave Hill" wrote in message
I was in our local Tesco this afternoon and they are selling of this
years seeds 75% off, a lot of them will be fine for next year.

How much did they end up, cost-wise?

At 75% off does it matter really?
--

It was just for interest as I got a load of seeds this week from Aldi at
29p/packet, including peas and broad beans.

Tina

Old 22-09-2011, 10:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Sacha wrote:
I was in our local Tesco this afternoon and they are selling of this
years seeds 75% off, a lot of them will be fine for next year.

How much did they end up, cost-wise?

At 75% off does it matter really?

You'd be surprised at how fast lots and lots of packets at 25p end up
costing! *cough*cough*

Old 22-09-2011, 11:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Christina Websell" wrote:

So, yes, it matters that I'd like to know from Dave if you have no objection
to that.
Did you mean to be rude?

You're kidding, right? I've seen rude, and that wasn't it.
(Oops....perhaps this is?)
No offence intended.

As a colonial, all I know about Tesco is that they're a discounter, so 75%
off that is likely a good deal. I save a lot of my own seeds, but there's
always something new in those shiny catalogs that arrive in the midst of a
blizzard that I just HAVE to have!

Old 23-09-2011, 09:24 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

On Sep 22, 9:51*pm, "Christina Websell"
wrote:
"Dave Hill" wrote in message

I was in our local Tesco this afternoon and they are selling of this
years seeds *75% off, a lot of them will be fine for next year.

How much did they end up, cost-wise?

How much they ended up at depended on how much they were to start
with,
The Runner beans I bought ended up at 79p, the leeks were 37p, but
packets were at various prices depending what they were.
Old 23-09-2011, 10:09 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2011-09-22 21:51:58 +0100, "Christina Websell"
said:

"Dave Hill" wrote in message
I was in our local Tesco this afternoon and they are selling of this
years seeds 75% off, a lot of them will be fine for next year.

How much did they end up, cost-wise?

At 75% off does it matter really?

yes!

netto (god rest her shelves and all who shopped in her) seeds were 19p

There's some nice cheap seed shops online so why spend more. Every
little helps!
--
http://www.voucherfreebies.co.uk
Old 23-09-2011, 10:49 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

I was in our local Tesco this afternoon and they are selling of this
years seeds 75% off, a lot of them will be fine for next year.

Unfortunately our branch have sold out already, last week it was just
a few herbs and common annuals left.
New site in the making,
Lincolnshire Gamemakers for 2012
http://2012volunteer.co.uk/

If you want cheap but good seed have a look here.

http://www.thomsonlocal.com/Brittons...mpanyinfo.html

They don't have a website (that I can find) but give them a ring and
they will send you a catalogue.
They are near Northampton and I have been very pleased with there seed.
eg Broad beans = £1/£1,50 half pint
Runner beans = £2 Half pint
packet seeds run around 80p per packet

Phone No is 01604 810826

Wally

Old 23-09-2011, 11:38 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Gary Woods wrote:
As a colonial, all I know about Tesco is that they're a discounter, so 75%
off that is likely a good deal.

A "discounter"? I'll be telling Her Majesty about that ...

Old 23-09-2011, 11:39 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Martin wrote:
You'd be surprised at how fast lots and lots of packets at 25p end up
costing! *cough*cough*

Have you been smoking the Morning Glory seeds behind the bike sheds
again?

Is that a recommendation?
Old 23-09-2011, 03:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Gary Woods" wrote
As a colonial, all I know about Tesco is that they're a discounter, so 75%
off that is likely a good deal. I save a lot of my own seeds, but there's
always something new in those shiny catalogs that arrive in the midst of a
blizzard that I just HAVE to have!

I must admit looking through the catalogues during the winter is rather
enjoyable but these days it takes a lot for me to be tempted.
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

Old 23-09-2011, 03:46 PM
Registered User

Location: Chalfont St Giles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sacha[_4_] View Post
75% is one helluva discount.
Only if the original price was realistic, unlike their half-price wine which was originally advertised at 3 times a sensible price.
Old 23-09-2011, 05:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

I was in our local Tesco this afternoon and they are selling of this
years seeds 75% off, a lot of them will be fine for next year.

Unfortunately our branch have sold out already, last week it was just
a few herbs and common annuals left.
New site in the making,
Lincolnshire Gamemakers for 2012
http://2012volunteer.co.uk/

If you want cheap but good seed have a look here.

http://www.thomsonlocal.com/Brittons...mpanyinfo.html

They don't have a website (that I can find) but give them a ring and
they will send you a catalogue.
They are near Northampton and I have been very pleased with there seed.
eg Broad beans = £1/£1,50 half pint
Runner beans = £2 Half pint
packet seeds run around 80p per packet

Phone No is 01604 810826

Wally

I get a lot of my seeds here... http://www.moreveg.co.uk/ They do small
quantities which suits me.
Pete C

Old 23-09-2011, 07:18 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , Sacha
writes
"Dave Hill" wrote in message
I was in our local Tesco this afternoon and they are selling of this
years seeds 75% off, a lot of them will be fine for next year.

How much did they end up, cost-wise?

At 75% off does it matter really?
--

Not selling them off in my Tescos