Old 03-10-2011, 10:39 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Moving gooseberry

Is now the time to be doing it?

And where do I get some armour plating from?

I assume prune before hand?
--
http://www.voucherfreebies.co.uk
Old 03-10-2011, 12:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

On Oct 3, 12:42*pm, Janet wrote:
In article ,
says...

Is now the time to be doing it?

If the leaves are off and your weather is cool/damp, yes.
But if you're enjoying a heatwave, wait.

And where do I get some armour plating from?

* Old jacket that can be abused, to protect your arms; leather gardening
gloves from builders supplies.

I assume prune before hand?

* Makes sense.

* Janet

Why all the fuss?
Wrap it well in polythene, or slip an old compost bag over it, they
are not that dangerous.
Just make sure you check under it, you never know what you will find
under a gooseberry bush.
Old 03-10-2011, 01:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Mon, 3 Oct 2011 04:51:24 -0700 (PDT), Dave Hill
wrote:

On Oct 3, 12:42*pm, Janet wrote:
In article ,
says...

Is now the time to be doing it?

If the leaves are off and your weather is cool/damp, yes.
But if you're enjoying a heatwave, wait.

And where do I get some armour plating from?

* Old jacket that can be abused, to protect your arms; leather gardening
gloves from builders supplies.

I assume prune before hand?

* Makes sense.

* Janet

Why all the fuss?
Wrap it well in polythene, or slip an old compost bag over it, they
are not that dangerous.
Just make sure you check under it, you never know what you will find
under a gooseberry bush.

I got stabbed to death picking the things
I will check carefully. :-)
--
http://www.voucherfreebies.co.uk
Old 03-10-2011, 04:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Janet writes
I am sorry to say that your post reminded me of a hapless girl at
our school, whose boyfriend mistakenly believed that slipping a crisp
packet over it, would prevent anything turning up under a goosberry
bush. I doubt that a compost bag will be any more effective than a crisp
packet for the purpose though I am, of course, mightily impressed by the
size.

Ow.

Salt and Vinegar. Chilli flavour. [Shudders violently]

--
regards andyw
Old 03-10-2011, 04:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote in message
In article , Janet
writes
I am sorry to say that your post reminded me of a hapless girl at
our school, whose boyfriend mistakenly believed that slipping a crisp
packet over it, would prevent anything turning up under a goosberry
bush. I doubt that a compost bag will be any more effective than a crisp
packet for the purpose though I am, of course, mightily impressed by the
size.

Ow. Salt and Vinegar. Chilli flavour. [Shudders violently]

--
regards andyw

No. Smoky Bacon ;-)

Mike

Old 03-10-2011, 05:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

mogga wrote in
:

I got stabbed to death picking the things
I will check carefully. :-)

mogga,
I asked in this group maybe 3yrs ago.

I was given advice to wait until all the leaves had fallen and to prune
middle branches to the root to allow air through to prevent mildew. Then
dig them up amd replant them in a large diameter hole with plenty of
compost and a little blood, fish and bone.

I did it and had some very nice fruit the following season.

I think I did it late October.

Keep pruning every year to keep the middle of the plant open.

To avoid getting stabbed, what I do is to grasp the end of a fruiting
branch (wearing nice thick gloves) and lift it up. You will then see lots
of goosegogs dangling below so pick them off being careful not to jab your
wrist on the thorns. I know how annoying that is!

Well, that is my experience on the subject.(there is no substitute for
personal experience). The advice I was given proved to be soud.

Good luck
Baz
Old 03-10-2011, 05:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Baz wrote in :

mogga wrote in
:

[...]

The advice I was given proved to be sound. Not soud.

Baz
Old 03-10-2011, 06:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Baz" wrote in message
Baz wrote in :

mogga wrote in
:

[...]

Pedant!(:-)

Alan

Baz

Old 03-10-2011, 07:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"alan.holmes" wrote in news:Bgmiq.1062
:

Pedant!(:-)

Alan

Oh! Yes the fruit was 'pedant' meaning hanging.

Very well put! You should be very proud of your the grasp of the English
language!

Baz

Old 03-10-2011, 08:44 PM
Registered User

Location: Norwich

I'd wait until just before the spring to move any fruit tree/plant. But I'm sure it will survive either way.
__________________
http://pot-tastic.co.uk/

We've got lots of pots!

Old 04-10-2011, 09:22 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Mon, 03 Oct 2011 16:47:17 GMT, Baz wrote:

mogga wrote in
:

I got stabbed to death picking the things
I will check carefully. :-)

mogga,
I asked in this group maybe 3yrs ago.

I was given advice to wait until all the leaves had fallen and to prune
middle branches to the root to allow air through to prevent mildew. Then
dig them up amd replant them in a large diameter hole with plenty of
compost and a little blood, fish and bone.

I did it and had some very nice fruit the following season.

Fab!

I think I did it late October.

Keep pruning every year to keep the middle of the plant open.

To avoid getting stabbed, what I do is to grasp the end of a fruiting
branch (wearing nice thick gloves) and lift it up. You will then see lots
of goosegogs dangling below so pick them off being careful not to jab your
wrist on the thorns. I know how annoying that is!

Well, that is my experience on the subject.(there is no substitute for
personal experience). The advice I was given proved to be soud.

Good luck
Baz

Thank you!
--