Old 04-10-2011, 11:03 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Violas keeling over

Can anyone suggest a reason why about 10% of my violas just drop dead
overnight after a couple of weeks of what seems like healthy growth?
Often it's just one in a line of half a dozen. Most are in semi shade so
they haven't been fried by the Indian summer or allowed to dry out.
I'm wondering whether plug plants can become plug bound in some way if
they put on too much growth too quickly.
I grow them every year and have never had this problem before, so any
thoughts appreciated

Old 04-10-2011, 01:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 04/10/2011 11:12, Phil Gurr wrote:
"stuart wrote in message
Can anyone suggest a reason why about 10% of my violas just drop dead
overnight after a couple of weeks of what seems like healthy growth? Often
it's just one in a line of half a dozen. Most are in semi shade so they
haven't been fried by the Indian summer or allowed to dry out.
I'm wondering whether plug plants can become plug bound in some way if
they put on too much growth too quickly.
I grow them every year and have never had this problem before, so any
thoughts appreciated

Leatherjackets?

Phil

No sign of any damage to the plant or the roots, they just flop and die.
Old 04-10-2011, 03:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

"stuart *wrote in message
Can anyone suggest a reason why about 10% of my violas just drop dead
overnight after a couple of weeks of what seems like healthy growth? Often
it's just one in a line of half a dozen. Most are in semi shade so they
haven't been fried by the Indian summer or allowed to dry out.
I'm wondering whether plug plants can become plug bound in some way if
they put on too much growth too quickly.
I grow them every year and have never had this problem before, so any
thoughts appreciated

Leatherjackets?

Phil

No sign of any damage to the plant or the roots, they just flop and die.- Hide quoted text -

I wonder if they are damping off, stems rotting at ground level
Old 04-10-2011, 03:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"stuart wrote in message
Can anyone suggest a reason why about 10% of my violas just drop dead
overnight after a couple of weeks of what seems like healthy growth? Often
it's just one in a line of half a dozen. Most are in semi shade so they
haven't been fried by the Indian summer or allowed to dry out.
I'm wondering whether plug plants can become plug bound in some way if
they put on too much growth too quickly.
I grow them every year and have never had this problem before, so any
thoughts appreciated

Leatherjackets?

Phil

No sign of any damage to the plant or the roots, they just flop and die.- Hide quoted text -

I wonder if they are damping off, stems rotting at ground level

Seems crazy in the middle of a heat wave, but I suppose we've been
having some very heavy dews. Lawns here have been sopping wet while
adjacent flower beds are as dry as a bone.

Old 04-10-2011, 05:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 04/10/2011 11:03, stuart noble wrote:
Can anyone suggest a reason why about 10% of my violas just drop dead
overnight after a couple of weeks of what seems like healthy growth?
Often it's just one in a line of half a dozen. Most are in semi shade so
they haven't been fried by the Indian summer or allowed to dry out.
I'm wondering whether plug plants can become plug bound in some way if
they put on too much growth too quickly.
I grow them every year and have never had this problem before, so any
thoughts appreciated

I've certainly known plug plants fail because, in the case of herbaceous
plants, the roots can't sufficiently escape the thin fibre pot or, in
the case of shrubs, the roots have been strangled by slotted plastic
pots which are invisible on purchase because the nursery has potted them
on - complete with straitjacket! - into 1ltr or 2ltr pots.

However, I have just lost one of two pots of viola. Both were a bit
dry, but in the shade. One perked up immediately when watered, the
other didn't:~(. Knowing how strong viola roots are (even in dry
conditions), I was astonished and very disappointed. I did wonder if
anything else could have harmed it, but there was no sign of pest,
disease or mould.

It sounds as if you have bought a largeish batch of plug-grown violas?
Knowing that the bedding industry has suffered big losses over recent
years (re petunia types and impatiens), I'm wondering if this is a
similar case? Maybe you should contact the nursery and ask if yours is
the only problem case.

--
Spider
from high ground in SE London
Old 04-10-2011, 06:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 04/10/2011 17:16, Spider wrote:
[...]

Somehow I don't think B&Q will be that interested :-)
I'm mainly puzzled by the 2-3 weeks of normal growth followed by sudden
death. I might try leaving the dead ones in place to see if nearby
plants follow suit.
Old 04-10-2011, 08:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 04/10/2011 18:06, stuart noble wrote:
[...]

You're probably right. Sad but true.

I'm mainly puzzled by the 2-3 weeks of normal growth followed by sudden
death. I might try leaving the dead ones in place to see if nearby
plants follow suit.

I can understand your curiosity but, if they were my plants, I wouldn't
want to take the risk. If the others are going to die, you'll find out
soon enough.

You didn't say (in your original post) whether you'd potted on any or
all of the plants. I think this may be your next step, if you feel they
may be plug-bound. If they have a chance to grow bigger, better roots
then they have an improved chance of fighting off any possible pathogen.

Old 04-10-2011, 09:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Tue, 04 Oct 2011 11:03:35 +0100, stuart noble
wrote:

Can anyone suggest a reason why about 10% of my violas just drop dead
overnight after a couple of weeks of what seems like healthy growth?
Often it's just one in a line of half a dozen. Most are in semi shade so
they haven't been fried by the Indian summer or allowed to dry out.
I'm wondering whether plug plants can become plug bound in some way if
they put on too much growth too quickly.
I grow them every year and have never had this problem before, so any
thoughts appreciated

Isn't it a fairly well-known thing for pansies and violas sometimes to
just keel over like that? I've had it happen and know friends who
have. I forget what it is but I've read about it. THere's nothing we
can do, I fear.

Pam in Bristol
Old 05-10-2011, 11:22 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 04/10/2011 20:41, Spider wrote:
[...]

Yes, they were all potted on the day we got them, but these plug plants
do worry me slightly. Just seems like too many roots in too small a
space and maybe too warm in the polystyrene packaging. Too delicate to
tease apart so you have no option but to bung them in and hope for the best.

Old 05-10-2011, 11:23 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

Can anyone suggest a reason why about 10% of my violas just drop dead
overnight after a couple of weeks of what seems like healthy growth?
Often it's just one in a line of half a dozen. Most are in semi shade so
they haven't been fried by the Indian summer or allowed to dry out.
I'm wondering whether plug plants can become plug bound in some way if
they put on too much growth too quickly.
I grow them every year and have never had this problem before, so any
thoughts appreciated

Isn't it a fairly well-known thing for pansies and violas sometimes to
just keel over like that? I've had it happen and know friends who
have. I forget what it is but I've read about it. THere's nothing we
can do, I fear.

Pam in Bristol

Ah, that makes me feel better :-)
Old 05-10-2011, 10:17 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuart noble View Post
Can anyone suggest a reason why about 10% of my violas just drop dead
overnight after a couple of weeks of what seems like healthy growth?
Often it's just one in a line of half a dozen. Most are in semi shade so
they haven't been fried by the Indian summer or allowed to dry out.
I'm wondering whether plug plants can become plug bound in some way if
they put on too much growth too quickly.
I grow them every year and have never had this problem before, so any
thoughts appreciated
We grow thousands of Violas and have not had any problems.
__________________
You don't have to be Shrek to have green fingers!
For great advice and quality plants visit http://plantsgaloreonline.co.uk or call us on: 01279 792 321
Old 17-11-2011, 10:29 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Just a little update. Every last one of the B&Q violas I planted late
September has now died. No sign of any pests but the roots had not
spread at all, and the root balls had just disintegrated. Again, I
think this might have been a case of their suppliers being caught out
by the weather. The warm autumn had caused the plants to put on too
much growth so that in reality they were "past it" by the time they
reached the shelves. On refection maybe I should have cut the root
balls with scissors but they are so delicate that it would probably
have killed them at the outset.

Fortunately I bought another batch from my local Wyevales in mid
October and gradually put them in the same compost as the old ones
died off. There was a risk of the second lot dying as well but I had a
hunch the problem was with the plants and not the soil. The new lot
had virtually no roots visible on the outside of the ball, and are now
thriving, so I guess the gamble paid off. Just as well really because
I hate dumping spent compost and, in a small garden, I have no option
but to take it to the local tip.
Old 17-11-2011, 06:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

On Nov 17, 10:29*am, stuart noble wrote:
[...]

Why can't you dig the old compost in, or use it as a mulch?
Old 17-11-2011, 08:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 17/11/2011 18:41, Dave Hill wrote:
On Nov 17, 10:29 am, stuart wrote:
[...]

Because I have raised beds that are already too high for the surrounding
brick/fence. If a bag of compost comes in, one has to go out. It's that
tight.