Old 14-10-2011, 02:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Outdor tomatoes still going strong

Just to note that I still have loads of trusses and the outdoor tomatoes
(mainly cherry) are still ripening.
The self sown cherry tomatoes from the previous year are also still
producing, although they were left completely to their own devices.

There have been signs of blight, but removal of virtually all the leaves
seems to have kept this in check.

Dire warnings for future weather but at the moment it is glorious in
Suffolk.

Cheers

Dave R
[Not even bunny]

Helmuth von Moltke the Elder

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

Old 14-10-2011, 03:24 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 14/10/2011 14:51, David WE Roberts wrote:
Just to note that I still have loads of trusses and the outdoor tomatoes
(mainly cherry) are still ripening.
The self sown cherry tomatoes from the previous year are also still
producing, although they were left completely to their own devices.

There have been signs of blight, but removal of virtually all the leaves
seems to have kept this in check.

Dire warnings for future weather but at the moment it is glorious in
Suffolk.

Cheers

Dave R

On the same lines my courgettes are still producing, taking a little
longer to grow, but still flowering. Cannot remember them lasting as
long previous years.

Old 14-10-2011, 05:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"David WE Roberts" wrote ...

Just to note that I still have loads of trusses and the outdoor tomatoes
(mainly cherry) are still ripening.
The self sown cherry tomatoes from the previous year are also still
producing, although they were left completely to their own devices.

There have been signs of blight, but removal of virtually all the leaves
seems to have kept this in check.

Dire warnings for future weather but at the moment it is glorious in
Suffolk.

Ours are the same, not cherry though. Chillies are doing very well too, lots
going red.
--
Regards Bob Hobden
Posting to this Newsgroup from the W. of London UK

Old 14-10-2011, 05:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , says...

On 14/10/2011 14:51, David WE Roberts wrote:
Just to note that I still have loads of trusses and the outdoor tomatoes
(mainly cherry) are still ripening.
The self sown cherry tomatoes from the previous year are also still
producing, although they were left completely to their own devices.

There have been signs of blight, but removal of virtually all the leaves
seems to have kept this in check.

Dire warnings for future weather but at the moment it is glorious in
Suffolk.

Cheers

Dave R

On the same lines my courgettes are still producing, taking a little
longer to grow, but still flowering. Cannot remember them lasting as
long previous years.

I was thinking along the same lines. Tomatoes and courgettes still going
strongt, especially the yellow ones. Turnips are swelling well, but
strangely the swedes are very slow - but thinking back they got attacked
by the slugs as they germinated.

On the flower front, sweet peas are still flowering well, with 3 flower
heads per stalk and some upto 9 inch stalks, although they are now
begining to get shorter.

Fuschias seem to have set seeds heads (one a nice blackish one) not sure
if they will ripen, or even when they are ripe or what to do with them!
A climbing fuschia I was given in August, that looked as if it had
finnished for the year has now got new shoots and buds on it!

Got a nice second crop of raspberries developing on the summer fruiting
canes, but they'll need another couple of weeks to ripen. The autumn
fruiting ones are coming to an end, but have thrown up lots of new
canes, which I suspect will not fruit!

Just hoping we dont get any frost!

--
Roger T

700 ft up in Mid-Wales
Old 14-10-2011, 08:51 PM
kay kay is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonraker View Post
On 14/10/2011 14:51, David WE Roberts wrote:
Just to note that I still have loads of trusses and the outdoor tomatoes
(mainly cherry) are still ripening.
The self sown cherry tomatoes from the previous year are also still
producing, although they were left completely to their own devices.

There have been signs of blight, but removal of virtually all the leaves
seems to have kept this in check.

Dire warnings for future weather but at the moment it is glorious in
Suffolk.

Cheers

Dave R

On the same lines my courgettes are still producing, taking a little
longer to grow, but still flowering. Cannot remember them lasting as
long previous years.
Everything has packed up here (yorks) - and that's in a greenhouse. Courgettes are still flowering, but the fruits aren't developing far before rotting, and cucumbers have just stopped growing. Tomatoes are still growing, but whereas a week or so ago I was having them for lunch, then cooking with them in the evening, I'm now having to wait for a few more to ripen.

Meanwhile outside the mulberry has almost stopped fruiting, and a lot of the fruits still on the tree are turning mouldy.

It's as if everything has said "right, that's the equinox over. It's winter. Stop growing"
__________________
Old 14-10-2011, 11:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Bob Hobden" wrote

"David WE Roberts" wrote ...

Just to note that I still have loads of trusses and the outdoor tomatoes
(mainly cherry) are still ripening.
The self sown cherry tomatoes from the previous year are also still
producing, although they were left completely to their own devices.

There have been signs of blight, but removal of virtually all the leaves
seems to have kept this in check.

Dire warnings for future weather but at the moment it is glorious in
Suffolk.

Ours are the same, not cherry though. Chillies are doing very well too,
lots going red.

This is a photo of the 4lbs of Red Chillies we picked out on our allotment
on Thursday the 13th October.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/bobhobd...th/6244415257/

Now all made into 5 batches of that Red Pepper curry sauce.

Old 15-10-2011, 07:52 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

This is a photo of the 4lbs of Red Chillies we picked out on our allotment
on Thursday the 13th October.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/bobhobd...th/6244415257/

Now all made into 5 batches of that Red Pepper curry sauce.

--
Regards Bob Hobden

It is tomato soup by the gallon at Nanneys Bridge - the freezer is floating
away with the stuff!
Looks like Wednesday night will see the "end" of the season, certainly
Midlands way (34F)
Best pick stuff now !

Regards
Pete
www.thecanalshop.com

Old 15-10-2011, 11:02 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , David WE Roberts
writes
Just to note that I still have loads of trusses and the outdoor
tomatoes (mainly cherry) are still ripening.
The self sown cherry tomatoes from the previous year are also still
producing, although they were left completely to their own devices.

There have been signs of blight, but removal of virtually all the
leaves seems to have kept this in check.

Dire warnings for future weather but at the moment it is glorious in
Suffolk.

Same here, although we had a light frost last night.

Roy.
--
Roy Bailey
West Berkshire.