Old 30-10-2011, 08:21 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Altering the clocks

GMT and stick with it?
BST and stick with it?
DBST and stick with it?
Carry on as it is now?

My vote goes to GMT and stick with it as I think most people would vote.

Mike

Old 30-10-2011, 08:50 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Pete would , certainly.
Sick of all this changing non-sense.
Greenwich rules OK !!
Regards
Pete
www.thecanalshop.com

Old 30-10-2011, 08:54 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"'Mike'" wrote in message
GMT and stick with it?
BST and stick with it?
DBST and stick with it?
Carry on as it is now?

My vote goes to GMT and stick with it as I think most people would vote.

Mike

That gets my vote.

Pete C

Old 30-10-2011, 09:57 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sun, 30 Oct 2011 08:21:21 -0000, Mike wrote:

GMT and stick with it?

At least then midday on the clock is midday (withing 10 mins or so)
of daylight.

BST and stick with it?

I can never get my head around what that means in relation to when it
gets light dark relative to the clock... B-).

DBST and stick with it?

It didn't work in the 68 - '71 trial, what has chnaged that means it
will work now? The prime reason put forward for this is "lighter
evenings". But the root cause is that the working day is offset
relative to actual daylight. If "they" want to fiddle with things
move the working day to be in sync with or earlier than daylight.
That is work 8 - 4 or 7 - 3, Oh does that mean you have to get up and
go to work in the dark? So fing what, that is what DBST or similar
will make the northern half of the country do.

Carry on as it is now?

This has my vote, followed by stick to GMT.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Old 30-10-2011, 10:51 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

GMT and stick with it?
BST and stick with it?
DBST and stick with it?
Carry on as it is now?

My vote goes to GMT and stick with it as I think most people would vote.

Mike

I'll vote that way too. The real solution would be to make the day
more exact as the year progresses. I think that means the clocks
should adjusted by -3.945 seconds every day for part of the year but
sticking to GMT is nearly as good.

Steve

--
Neural network software applications, help and support.

Neural Network Software. www.npsl1.com
EasyNN-plus. Neural Networks plus. www.easynn.com
SwingNN. Forecast with Neural Networks. www.swingnn.com
JustNN. Just Neural Networks. www.justnn.com

Old 30-10-2011, 11:00 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Martin" wrote in message
On Sun, 30 Oct 2011 09:57:23 +0000 (GMT), "Dave Liquorice"
wrote:

On Sun, 30 Oct 2011 08:21:21 -0000, Mike wrote:

GMT and stick with it?

At least then midday on the clock is midday (withing 10 mins or so)
of daylight.

It makes working 9-5 a bit silly though.

BST and stick with it?

I can never get my head around what that means in relation to when it
gets light dark relative to the clock... B-).

DBST and stick with it?

It didn't work in the 68 - '71 trial, what has chnaged that means it
will work now? The prime reason put forward for this is "lighter
evenings". But the root cause is that the working day is offset
relative to actual daylight. If "they" want to fiddle with things
move the working day to be in sync with or earlier than daylight.
That is work 8 - 4 or 7 - 3, Oh does that mean you have to get up and
go to work in the dark? So fing what, that is what DBST or similar
will make the northern half of the country do.

Carry on as it is now?

This has my vote, followed by stick to GMT.

Giving you daylight at around 4am and dark by 8pm in summer.
--

Martin

And?

So what?

Go with it. where's the problem?

Mike

Old 30-10-2011, 11:03 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

GMT and stick with it?
BST and stick with it?
DBST and stick with it?
Carry on as it is now?

My vote goes to GMT and stick with it as I think most people would vote.

Mike

I'll vote that way too. The real solution would be to make the day
more exact as the year progresses. I think that means the clocks
should adjusted by -3.945 seconds every day for part of the year but
sticking to GMT is nearly as good.

Steve

Sorry for the top - post above

Steve - I doubt whether the nice people who keep Big Ben striking on time
would be too enthusiastic
about your "real solution". GMT ayr is the only way to go !

Regards
Pete
www.thecanalshop.com

Old 30-10-2011, 11:08 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

GMT and stick with it?
BST and stick with it?
DBST and stick with it?
Carry on as it is now?

My vote goes to GMT and stick with it as I think most people would vote.

Mike

I'll vote that way too. The real solution would be to make the day
more exact as the year progresses. I think that means the clocks
should adjusted by -3.945 seconds every day for part of the year but
sticking to GMT is nearly as good.

Steve

As we are on the subject of time when was the hour/min/second adopted,
why is it so universal? The current calender is relatively modern, and
the beginning of the new year varies in different countries. So when was
our way of recording the time adopted, is it universal? Incidentally GMT
is no longer the standard for time, as with lots of other things the
Yanks have high-jacked it.
Old 30-10-2011, 12:14 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

snipped,

pets don't understand all this clock altering, they want their meals when
their guts say so :-)

kate

Old 30-10-2011, 01:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sun, 30 Oct 2011 11:00:56 -0000, Mike wrote:

Carry on as it is now?

This has my vote, followed by stick to GMT.

Giving you daylight at around 4am and dark by 8pm in summer.

And?

So what?

Go with it. where's the problem?

Quite, it doesn't get really dark up here in summer anyway and we
aren't that far north compared with the top end of Scotland. Winter
is the worst part, not light until nearly 0900, dark at 1600 (GMT).

--
Cheers
Dave.

Old 30-10-2011, 03:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2011-10-30 11:32:40 +0000, Martin said:

wrote:

[...]

Nowadays GMT is referred to a UTC.

Only by USAnians, who hate the fact of GMT referring to Greenwich, ie
England. To them, Universal means American. They think they are the centre
of the universe.

Steve

Old 30-10-2011, 03:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sun, 30 Oct 2011 15:10:30 -0000, "shazzbat"

wrote:

[...]

The words "the centre of" are superfluous.

Cheers, Jake
Urgling from the east end of Swansea Bay where the weather
is typically autumnal. There's sometimes rain, sometimes not.

The cat's web site is at www.pillie.me.uk.
Old 30-10-2011, 07:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

[...]

Sorry, my mistake.

Steve

Old 30-10-2011, 09:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 30/10/2011 08:21, 'Mike' wrote:
GMT and stick with it?
BST and stick with it?
DBST and stick with it?
Carry on as it is now?

My vote goes to GMT and stick with it as I think most people would vote.

Mike

IIRC the proposal is to adopt CET (Central European Time) which is
always 1 hr ahead of our present time. It would make sense for the
business community to be on the same time scale as Europe (minus
Portugal) and would mean in general darker mornings and lighter evenings
for us.

Malcolm
Old 30-10-2011, 09:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sun, 30 Oct 2011 19:58:04 -0000, "shazzbat"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

"Sacha" wrote in message

Nowadays GMT is referred to a UTC.

Only by USAnians, who hate the fact of GMT referring to Greenwich, ie
England. To them, Universal means American. They think they are the centre
of the universe.

Steve

The words "the centre of" are superfluous.

Sorry, my mistake.

Steve

My family have an American branch (grandmother's sister and co
emigrated) which got converted to the American way of thinking quite
quickly. Great Aunt came over to visit for a fortnight. I got chucked
out of my bedroom and was to sleep on a camp bed in the "front room".

On arrival GA handed my mother a list of people she'd invited to join
her for breakfast, lunch, tea and dinner each day. They had to be
accommodated in the "front room" so that had to be pristine. It was,
fortunately, summer. For two weeks I slept in a tent in the garden.
The family ate in the kitchen (once my mother had served food to the
congregation in the front room!).

Hated Americans ever since!