Old 08-12-2011, 10:39 AM
Registered User

Location: Chalfont St Giles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Hobden View Post
"Had a look at Lepiota on that site and any that I think may be it say it's
got an un-mushroomy smell. This has a very pleasant mushroomy smell. the cap
was smooth, like leather not scaly and the gills were a light yellow.
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.
What about this one?
Old 08-12-2011, 04:42 PM
Registered User

Location: Bedfordshire

Quote:
Originally Posted by echinosum View Post
What about this one?
Rogers Mushrooms - Lepiota cortinarius Mushroom
Doesn't seem to say anything about smell, and the name "Lepiota cortinarius" is suggestive.
But, as I said previously, Phillips only has about a third, if that, of the British Lepiotas on his list.
Wrong habitat, no apparent ring. Habitat on needle carpets under conifers or in mixed woods and cedar swamps.
Old 08-12-2011, 06:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Unknown fungi

(http://tinyurl.com/7htkcrx)
Doesn't seem to say anything about smell, and the name "Lepiota
cortinarius" is suggestive.
But, as I said previously, Phillips only has about a third, if that, of
the British Lepiotas on his list.

The cap wasn't scaly either, quite smooth and leathery to the touch and
smooth looking too.
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

Old 09-12-2011, 09:14 AM
Registered User

Location: Chalfont St Giles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Granity View Post
Wrong habitat, no apparent ring. Habitat on needle carpets under conifers or in mixed woods and cedar swamps.
"mixed woods" implies it could occur in a garden in a garden to my interpretation. Description mentions an evanescent ring. But I'm not convinced its the right one.
Old 09-12-2011, 09:21 AM
Registered User

Location: Chalfont St Giles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Hobden View Post
"The cap wasn't scaly either, quite smooth and leathery to the touch and smooth looking too.
The pictures you showed were of a mushroom that is quite definitely very scaly, which is precisely why I fingered it as a Lepiota in the first place. That doesn't preclude it being smooth and leathery to the touch. The scales don't have to stick up. Lepiotas are all scaly, and many of them are smooth and leathery.

It is so difficult matching mushrooms in the wild to pictures in books, because you just don't get a sense of the textures from a photo and description. Once you've seen a few and been told "that's a blah blah", you get to know the texture of the thing, and then it gets so much easier.

But, as I said, Philips gives less than a third of the British Lepiotas, so if you are not content it is one of these, then probably you aren't going to get a definitive identification without going for an academic monograph on the Lepiotas, which a key that may require microscopy of the spores and chemical tests...

Old 09-12-2011, 02:36 PM
Registered User

[...]

I'm going to suggest Leucoagaricus Badhamii as a possibility.
Old 11-12-2011, 04:38 PM
Registered User

Location: Chalfont St Giles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Granity View Post
I'm going to suggest Leucoagaricus Badhamii as a possibility.
Certainly well within the range of plausibility on present information, and my compliments for having discovered its existence. Phillips doesn't have any mention of the genus at all, though my continental book shows one species of it - it seems that Leucoagaricus pudicus is fairly frequent on the continent, and often eaten. Once you get down into the less common species, one discovers that the consumer books show only a fraction of the species present here, so getting an overall view of what something might be is tricky. L badhamii itself seems to be rather tricky as it has wandered from genus to genus, including Lepiota and Agaricus. Mainly confined to the SE and Midlands in Britain, mainly growing on soil containing decomposing coniferous material.
Old 11-12-2011, 05:12 PM
Registered User

[...]

As well as Mr Philips I also have a copy of The Mushrooms And Toadstools of Britain and Northwest Europe by Marcel Bon, an absolute necessity for spore identification under a microscope, although unfortunately I no longer have access to one.
Old 12-12-2011, 09:04 AM
Registered User

Location: Chalfont St Giles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Granity View Post
As well as Mr Philips I also have a copy of The Mushrooms And Toadstools of Britain and Northwest Europe by Marcel Bon, an absolute necessity for spore identification under a microscope, although unfortunately I no longer have access to one.
Out of print and fetches nice prices second hand, I see.

I see Stefan Buczacki is bringing out a new 600-page field guide in April 2012 published by Collins (replacing their current 300-page field guide), which claims to cover about 2400 species. I shall be on the lookout to see if it is worth having.
Old 12-12-2011, 05:09 PM
Registered User

Location: Bedfordshire

Quote:
Originally Posted by echinosum View Post
Out of print and fetches nice prices second hand, I see.

I see Stefan Buczacki is bringing out a new 600-page field guide in April 2012 published by Collins (replacing their current 300-page field guide), which claims to cover about 2400 species. I shall be on the lookout to see if it is worth having.
Could be well worth having, unfortunately being tied to an oxygen bottle means mushroom hunting is not really an option for me nowadays I'm afraid. :-(