Old 04-12-2011, 12:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default today a bee!

I've actually got a bumble bee flying round the patio looking for he's
alighted on the hanging baskets I've just made up for people (about 6)
but doesn't seem to be interested in any of those plants. i feel guilty
I can't supply him with anything better!
--
Janet Tweedy

Old 04-12-2011, 03:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sun, 4 Dec 2011 12:41:44 +0000, Janet Tweedy
wrote:

I've actually got a bumble bee flying round the patio looking for he's
alighted on the hanging baskets I've just made up for people (about 6)
but doesn't seem to be interested in any of those plants. i feel guilty
I can't supply him with anything better!

I hope he had his thermals on! It's way too cold here for bees.

--
http://www.voucherfreebies.co.uk
Old 04-12-2011, 06:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2011-12-04 12:41:44 +0000, Janet Tweedy said:

I've actually got a bumble bee flying round the patio looking for he's
alighted on the hanging baskets I've just made up for people (about 6)
but doesn't seem to be interested in any of those plants. i feel guilty
I can't supply him with anything better!

I sw a huge one here on some Salvia involucrata which are still
flowering. I doubt he'll be around today though. It's 8C at present.

Yesterday evening - a Pipistrelle. They are usually tucked up for the
winter by now.

--
rbel
Old 04-12-2011, 08:24 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , Sacha
writes
I sw a huge one here on some Salvia involucrata which are still
flowering. I doubt he'll be around today though. It's 8C at present.

Well it was here as well but this poor little bumble bee was circling
the hanging baskets for ages!
--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph
Old 04-12-2011, 09:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , Sacha
writes
Might be worth putting out a very shallow container with a sugar/water
mix in it. Clearly, they're trying to stock up.
--

Good idea! Will do

Old 05-12-2011, 01:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2011-12-04 20:24:35 +0000, Janet Tweedy said:

In article , Sacha
writes
I sw a huge one here on some Salvia involucrata which are still
flowering. I doubt he'll be around today though. It's 8C at present.

Well it was here as well but this poor little bumble bee was circling
the hanging baskets for ages!

Might be worth putting out a very shallow container with a sugar/water
mix in it. Clearly, they're trying to stock up.

I was going to suggest that but, if Janet has it, honey would be favourite.
--
Spider
from high ground in SE London
Old 05-12-2011, 01:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , Spider
writes
I was going to suggest that but, if Janet has it, honey would be favourite.

Coo even better Spider as i loathe honey and I still have jars that i
bought for Tom
as he could eat it by the spoonful given half a chance!!

How will they find it though? It won't have any pretty petals or
anything. Do they locate it by smell?

Old 05-12-2011, 01:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Janet Tweedy" wrote in message
In article , Spider
writes
I was going to suggest that but, if Janet has it, honey would be
favourite.

Coo even better Spider as i loathe honey and I still have jars that i
bought for Tom
as he could eat it by the spoonful given half a chance!!

How will they find it though? It won't have any pretty petals or anything.
Do they locate it by smell?

Most certainly, this is why robbing of hives by other bees can be a problem
and just try extracting honey from combs in a kitchen with the outside door
open - bee armageddon!

Phil

Old 05-12-2011, 02:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , Phil
Gurr writes
Most certainly, this is why robbing of hives by other bees can be a problem
and just try extracting honey from combs in a kitchen with the outside door
open - bee armageddon!

Phil

Honey now decanted in Pyrex dish on patio table, full jar of manuka, so
should smell for miles if they have a sense of smell!

Nothing yet .........
--
Janet Tweedy

Old 05-12-2011, 02:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 05/12/2011 13:40, Janet Tweedy wrote:
In article , Spider
writes
I was going to suggest that but, if Janet has it, honey would be
favourite.

Coo even better Spider as i loathe honey and I still have jars that i
bought for Tom
as he could eat it by the spoonful given half a chance!!

How will they find it though? It won't have any pretty petals or
anything. Do they locate it by smell?

Can you rig up a hanging dish near your hanging baskets, where you know
they already investigate?

Old 05-12-2011, 04:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , Janet Tweedy
writes
Honey now decanted in Pyrex dish on patio table, full jar of manuka,

What a waste

Do you recall how much it cost?

--
regards andyw
Old 05-12-2011, 05:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , news
writes
What a waste

Do you recall how much it cost?

No idea but it must be at least three years old............ If I have
any more would you like me to post it to you?

Old 05-12-2011, 05:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , Spider
writes
Can you rig up a hanging dish near your hanging baskets, where you know
they already investigate?
--

They aren't actually my hanging baskets spider i seem to have had lots
of people wanting to make one for them this year so they are all
Old 05-12-2011, 05:34 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , Sacha
writes
Another way to feed in the winter months it to use baker's fondant (the
soft icing on cakes) as this won't ferment and the bees can eat it
straight away."

Oh that's good, I've just bought a canon printer that uses edible inks
and have been playing at printing photographs onto icing sheets, both
large cake sizes and cupcake ones and have done about 6 cakes so far and
also got a fair bit of spare fondant icing left from doing the sides to
match the top!

Send me a photo Sacha and I'll print you one to put on ray's Christmas
cake.
Do you know (off topic admittedly) no one has yet been happy at eating
the actual bit with a face on it? Well apart from my friend's husband
who would rather eat the photograph with his wife's or his face than
desecrate the Chelsea football club logo on the very top

Janet
--
Janet Tweedy

Old 05-12-2011, 06:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

On Dec 5, 5:34*pm, Janet Tweedy wrote:
[...]

Amazing what you learn from this group, never heard of edible ink and
water paper,
I thought that trying to put a cake through the printer would muck up
both the cake and the printer
But it could make food for the Xmas bumble bee.
David