Old 12-12-2011, 08:33 AM
Registered User

Location: Bedfordshire
Default Royal Head Gardeners

Seems a bit under paid to me, even if it does come with a tied flat.

"The going rate for a senior royal gardener has increased significantly since October when the Queen offered £15,750. Two months later, she is advertising the same job at £17,000, an increase of 7.9 per cent.

The 39-hours-a-week job comes with accommodation in central London and involves heading a team of three or four gardeners, maintaining the lawns at the palace "to the highest standards" and tending to the shrub, herbaceous and rose borders.

The applicant must have a “keen interest in conservation and organic practices,” be willing to conduct wildlife surveys, and will have to carry out “leaf clearing operations on all surfaces, paying particular attention to the shrub beds by not using machinery, which will encourage the development of the wildlife.”

Full article: Queen gives gardeners a pay hike - Telegraph
Old 12-12-2011, 09:48 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 12/12/2011 08:33, Granity wrote:

The applicant must have a “keen interest in conservation and organic
practices,”

Did someone at Highgrove write the advert? ;-)

--

Jeff
Old 12-12-2011, 06:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2011-12-12 12:18:09 +0000, Janet said:

In article , Granity.95b7356
@gardenbanter.co.uk says...

Seems a bit under paid to me, even if it does come with a tied flat.

"The going rate for a senior royal gardener has increased significantly
since October when the Queen offered £15,750. Two months later, she is
advertising the same job at £17,000, an increase of 7.9 per cent.

The 39-hours-a-week job comes with accommodation

*Not free though. "There is an option to live in accommodation provided,
in which case there will be a salary adjustment." *see

http://www.horticulturejobs.co.uk/jo...ener-12-month-
contract-/

* This *matches rates for Assistant Head Gardeners paid by the National
Trust for Scotland at some of the nations most famous gardens. (iirc, Head

gardeners have reached the dizzy heights of £20K) While Trust head
gardeners get tied-house accommodation while in post, they lose it on
retiral; and *the likelihood of having been able to get a mortgage big
enough to buy a place in preparation for retirement, is minimal. NT career

gardeners have often been the preferred training ground for Head Gardeners

recruited for private gardens.

* Newly trained, fully qualified and certificated professional gardeners
for the NTS Trust have a starting rate of about £12 K; minimum wage. They

used to get NTS tied housing but that ceased so that the NTS can let out
the previous staff accommodation as holiday lets at tourist rates far
higher per week than gardeners entire wage. As a result they are having
extreme difficulty recruiting entry-level garden staff, which makes one
wonder.... who will become the head gardeners of the future.

* * Janet

To our certain knowledge, NT gardeners at the top level also leave
because they are bogged down in paperwork and get to spend less and
less time in the garden. *We've known 3 do that over the last few years
and go into private work.
--
Sacha- Hide quoted text -

When I attended Professional Gardeners' Guild meetings the predominant
topic of conversation amongst the NT gardeners was Trust politics and
I know at least one of them had to spend a good deal of time fighting
trust officials to be allowed to do the job his way rather than
letting the very well known garden become just another NT garden.
As for Royal gardeners, I once interviewed a guy who'd spent some time
at Sandringham which I was tempted to view as a plus until he told me
he'd spent 6 months of that behind a rake on the gravel - at least he
was honest.
Wage rates vary widely with office bound heads on very wealthy estates
paid hugely more than much better head gardeners in jobs where
they're leading from the front.
I'd just about got to £18K and a house when I retired 5 years ago. The
good news for us is that there's a house for us until we're both dead.
I'm amongst the last on that deal and the quid pro quo was that wages
were low and we were expected to be available pretty much 24/7. They
are very good employers amongst a very mixed bunch.
With college training now very poor or almost non existent and
starting wages so low, Janet is right to be concerned for the future
supply of good gardeners and it's already showing in the quality of
many well known gardens.
Part of it is an attitude problem amongst public, employers, schools
and teachers who seem to think 'anybody can do a bit of gardening' and
so they pay wages appropriate to the perceived skill level and get
results accordingly which reinforces their prejudices.
I once overheard a careers teacher say something to the effect of
'he's nbg, send him to the parks. (BTW - Park apprenticeships were
another source of good recruits and they've almost gone).
Rant over, It gave me a good life and a secure retirement but not much
money.
Anybody interested to know about 'real' head gardeners should read
'The Man who collected trees' a biography of David Douglas (Of the
eponymous fir) We are all nonentities compared with such people.

Rod
Old 13-12-2011, 08:19 AM
Registered User

Location: Bedfordshire

Quote:
;944019']On Dec 12, 12:29*pm, Sacha wrote:[color=blue][i]
On 2011-12-12 12:18:09 +0000, Janet said:

In article , Granity.95b7356
@gardenbanter.co.uk says...

Seems a bit under paid to me, even if it does come with a tied flat.

"The going rate for a senior royal gardener has increased significantly
since October when the Queen offered £15,750. Two months later, she is
advertising the same job at £17,000, an increase of 7.9 per cent.

The 39-hours-a-week job comes with accommodation

*Not free though. "There is an option to live in accommodation provided,
in which case there will be a salary adjustment." *see

Senior Gardener (12-month Contract) with The Royal Household | 306677
contract-/

* This *matches rates for Assistant Head Gardeners paid by the National
Trust for Scotland at some of the nations most famous gardens. (iirc, Head

gardeners have reached the dizzy heights of £20K) While Trust head
gardeners get tied-house accommodation while in post, they lose it on
retiral; and *the likelihood of having been able to get a mortgage big
enough to buy a place in preparation for retirement, is minimal. NT career

gardeners have often been the preferred training ground for Head Gardeners

recruited for private gardens.

[color=green][i]
[...]

It certainly puts into perspective the chap on here a while ago moaning that people wouldn't pay him £20/Hr to do their gardening work, for a 39Hr week that would have given him a salary of over £40,000 per year.
Old 13-12-2011, 09:40 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Granity
writes[color=blue][i]
[color=green][i]
On 2011-12-12 12:18:09 +0000, Janet said:

-
In article , Granity.95b7356
@gardenbanter.co.uk says...-
-
Seems a bit under paid to me, even if it does come with a tied
flat.--

--
"The going rate for a senior royal gardener has increased
significantly

since October when the Queen offered £15,750. Two months later, she
is

advertising the same job at £17,000, an increase of 7.9 per cent.--
--
The 39-hours-a-week job comes with accommodation--
-
*Not free though. "There is an option to live in accommodation
provided,

in which case there will be a salary adjustment." *see-
-
'Senior Gardener (12-month Contract) with The Royal Household |
306677'
(http://tinyurl.com/d8oa69a)

contract-/-
-
[...]

1) He wouldn't be working 52 weeks of the year.
2) He would have overheads.

--
Granity

--
Stewart Robert Hinsley

Old 13-12-2011, 05:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Tue, 13 Dec 2011 13:46:51 -0000, Janet wrote:

Jobbing gardeners would struggle to get 39 paid working hours per week.
They don't get paid when in transit between clients, for down time when
the weather is too bad, or when summer clients don't require their
services in winter.

I asked the Chimney sweep we use the other day what he does in Summer.
Turns out he does gardening work as well though it is more cutting
grass and generally tidying around commercial premises rather than
delicate Horticulture. He reckoned he was quite fortunate to have two
parts of a business whose seasonal requirements complimented each
other.

G.Harman
Old 13-12-2011, 06:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Dec 13, 8:19*am, Granity
wrote:[color=blue][i]
On 2011-12-12 12:18:09 +0000, Janet said:

[color=green][i]
-
In article , Granity.95b7356
@gardenbanter.co.uk says...-
-
[...]

Granity- Hide quoted text -

Just in case you missed a post of mine on this subject a few weeks
ago.
I said hourly rates are not always what they seem.
I friend of mine was doing a particular job (mostly mowing and
strimming for about £35 a time.) It took him about 1 1/2 hours - his
own machines and all arisings removed.
The folk in question found someone to do it for £8 per hour. He made
of a day of it and filled the owners' brown recycle bins, then his
mower broke down and he had to come back the following day to finish
it.

Rod
Old 14-12-2011, 12:32 PM
kay kay is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by View Post
I thought chimney sweeping was a summer occupation - ie it's something you want to get done when you don't need to use the chimney.