Old 13-12-2011, 02:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Saving hens before EU directive

According to Amateur gardener this week battery hens must be abolished
by January and the British hen Welfare Trust thinks that nearly 300,000
will be killed as they won't be able to find homes for them..
Anyone interested in adopting some of the hens can call BHWT on 01769
580310 or email or you can go to www.bhwt.org.uk

--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph
Old 13-12-2011, 03:14 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

On Dec 13, 3:09*pm, Janet wrote:
In article ,
says...

According to Amateur gardener this week battery hens must be abolished
by January and the British hen Welfare Trust thinks that nearly 300,000
will be killed as they won't be able to find homes for them..

* That is nothing new, premature death has always been the inevitable fate
of battery hens as soon as their egg production rate falls off...usually
less than a year after they started laying.

* The UK will continue commercial egg production from hens that spend
their entire short life in cages; just very slightly larger cages than the
previous "battery" ones.

* *Janet.

Here are the new regulations http://www.broodyhen.co.uk/ket/fowln.../ecdirect.html
Old 13-12-2011, 03:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article
,
Judith in France writes
Janet, does this apply in the EU? So if they don't have battery, I
suppose they will go on to barn chickens? Almost as bad in my opinion
as they don't have room to turn around.

Don't know Judith but if an EU directive I am assuming it will be?
However which country complies and which ignores it is anyone's guess.
Old 13-12-2011, 03:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Janet writes
That is nothing new, premature death has always been the inevitable fate
of battery hens as soon as their egg production rate falls off...usually
less than a year after they started laying.

The UK will continue commercial egg production from hens that spend
their entire short life in cages; just very slightly larger cages than the
previous "battery" ones.

Janet.

But presumably some of these will be young battery hens? If they can
move them to bigger cages then I would have thought all these poor
"doomed to die early" ones will be passed on to the next concentrated
food production?

--
Janet Tweedy

Old 13-12-2011, 05:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , Jake
writes
But what I don't understand is that if 300,000 battery hens face
slaughter then, to produce the same number of eggs, another 300,000+
hens will need to be bought. Why cannot battery hens be converted to
free range which, presumably, is what people who adopt them will do?

Are they the same breeds? I mean do they have special breeds that are
more compliant in battery conditions and might be not so good free range
on a commercial level?
I'd love to get some but it's got "no poultry" clause in my house thing.
Old 13-12-2011, 05:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Janet Tweedy" wrote in message
According to Amateur gardener this week battery hens must be abolished by
January and the British hen Welfare Trust thinks that nearly 300,000 will
be killed as they won't be able to find homes for them..
Anyone interested in adopting some of the hens can call BHWT on 01769
580310 or email or you can go to www.bhwt.org.uk

--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph
http://www.lancedal.demon.co.uk

Don't worry.

You are witnessing the start of the collapse of the EU.

Just wait a while and it will all fall apart .................... the sooner
the better

Mike

Old 13-12-2011, 05:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Janet Tweedy" wrote

According to Amateur gardener this week battery hens must be abolished by
January and the British hen Welfare Trust thinks that nearly 300,000 will
be killed as they won't be able to find homes for them..
Anyone interested in adopting some of the hens can call BHWT on 01769
580310 or email or you can go to www.bhwt.org.uk

Saw something on the TV about this, it appears, as usual, it's only the
British farmers that are ready to comply with the rules, only they that have
spent a fortune complying. The rest of the EU have done little and spent
little and will therefor be able to undercut our chicken industry for the
foreseeable future.
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

Old 13-12-2011, 05:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 13/12/2011 15:38, Janet Tweedy wrote:
In article
,
Judith in France writes
Janet, does this apply in the EU? So if they don't have battery, I
suppose they will go on to barn chickens? Almost as bad in my opinion
as they don't have room to turn around.

Don't know Judith but if an EU directive I am assuming it will be?
However which country complies and which ignores it is anyone's guess.

Britain will comply and France ignore, judging by previous behaviour.

Old 13-12-2011, 08:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , Nospam@invalid
says...

On Tue, 13 Dec 2011 15:22:25 +0000, Chris Hogg wrote:

Janet.

And according to the BBC reports of a few days ago, many EU countries
are simply ignoring the directive. Typical!

See http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-16047967

and http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-15731320

and http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-16112149

for more detail.

And if the UK refuses to import battery eggs, we'll probably fall foul
of some other EU directive about free trade so UK egg producers who
have to comply with the directive will suffer in every direction.
Particularly as the companies that produce things with eggs in them
will still, no doubt, source at the cheapest price.

The local Co-op supermarket stopped stocking battery eggs some time
ago and sells free range eggs at the price other supermarkets charge
for battery eggs. I don't know if it's psychological but to me free
range eggs taste better and I think the slightly paler yokes are the
result of no additives in the hens' food.

But what I don't understand is that if 300,000 battery hens face
slaughter then, to produce the same number of eggs, another 300,000+
hens will need to be bought.

The producers have to empty thousands of hens out of the old cages, take
the cages out of the sheds and install new
complaint cages. Where do you park thousands of hens meanwhile, in the
middle of winter? It's too stressful for the birds.

Why cannot battery hens be converted to
free range which, presumably, is what people who adopt them will do?

You've never seen a battery hen? They are partially bald, have very weak
legs, have spent their life tightly caged in dim light and very warm
conditions. They don't even know how to make their way to a drinker or
feeder because all their life, it's been under their beak. If you put them
outdoors in January it would be cruel; they would die of starvation,stress
and exposure.

Years back when Edwina Curries wrecked the egg industry overnight we
took on some doomed ex-batteries. It took weeks before they grew feathers
and got strong enough to walk around all day like freerange hens do.
During that time they had to live in a shed doing chicken rehab.

Janet

Old 13-12-2011, 08:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
says...

In article , Jake
writes
But what I don't understand is that if 300,000 battery hens face
slaughter then, to produce the same number of eggs, another 300,000+
hens will need to be bought. Why cannot battery hens be converted to
free range which, presumably, is what people who adopt them will do?

Are they the same breeds? I mean do they have special breeds that are
more compliant in battery conditions and might be not so good free range
on a commercial level?

IME, the hybrids bred for battery production do extremely well on
freerange (in cold Scotland). I used to buy them as POL pullets for that
purpose. They are however, such prodigious egg producers that their bodies
wear out and even kept in hen heaven from infancy they won't live longer
than about 3 years... usually less.

That said, you can't just take battery-dwelling hens straight out of a
battery cage into an environment they are unused to.

I'd love to get some but it's got "no poultry" clause in my house thing.

We can all do far more for hen welfare, by supporting supermarkets which
only sell freerange eggs, and pressuring supermarkets and food producers
not to use imported dry and liquid egg which came from battery egg
systems, in processed foods sold in the UK.

Janet
Old 13-12-2011, 08:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , says...

"Janet Tweedy" wrote

According to Amateur gardener this week battery hens must be abolished by
January and the British hen Welfare Trust thinks that nearly 300,000 will
be killed as they won't be able to find homes for them..
Anyone interested in adopting some of the hens can call BHWT on 01769
580310 or email
or you can go to www.bhwt.org.uk

Saw something on the TV about this, it appears, as usual, it's only the
British farmers that are ready to comply with the rules, only they that have
spent a fortune complying. The rest of the EU have done little and spent
little and will therefor be able to undercut our chicken industry for the
foreseeable future.

The UK egg industry produces over 80% of the shell eggs sold in the UK.

Janet.

Old 13-12-2011, 08:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Janet writes
During that time they had to live in a shed doing chicken rehab.

Ah but that does appeal to the sentimental side i might have..........
Old 13-12-2011, 08:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Tue, 13 Dec 2011 20:00:13 -0000, Janet wrote:

[...]

Thanks Janet. I now understand what I didn't before. I might ask why
can't Bernard Matthews' empty turkey sheds be used for acclimatisation
but I won't. I can only hope that "the end" is quick and painless but
know it probably won't be.

Cheers, Jake
Urgling (after the great storm) from
the usually dryer (east) end of Swansea Bay.

why did Bernadette pour before all the hens? We can't tease bushs unless Charles will weakly move afterwards E. Y. Love United Kingdom 0 24-07-2005 12:01 PM
Are Datura Harmful to Hens? Any Other Plants to Avoid? Andy United Kingdom 4 31-03-2003 08:32 AM
guinew hens in yard? LYNN FORRES Texas 6 25-02-2003 07:34 PM
OT Laying hens petition MC Emily United Kingdom 9 13-12-2002 09:34 PM