Old 16-12-2011, 01:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default pounding down snow

What a day, redux. It's dark as night right now, snow swirling and
sheeting across the fields. Good day for staying inside.

We had 120 kph gusting last night on our Normandy hilltop, with
prodigious rain (gauge overflowed at 40 mm). I got the house shuttered
and moved all the pots to ground level before it hit, but we have a few
branches down, looks like a smallish unstaked maple blew over, and I
have a tree down over the public path -- up to me to get it out of the
way of course.

Looking through the window makes me want to take a long winter's nap!

-E
Old 16-12-2011, 02:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Emery Davis wrote in news:9l0vnvFbljU1
@mid.individual.net:

What a day, redux. It's dark as night right now, snow swirling and
sheeting across the fields. Good day for staying inside.

We had 120 kph gusting last night on our Normandy hilltop, with
prodigious rain (gauge overflowed at 40 mm). I got the house shuttered
and moved all the pots to ground level before it hit, but we have a few
branches down, looks like a smallish unstaked maple blew over, and I
have a tree down over the public path -- up to me to get it out of the
way of course.

Looking through the window makes me want to take a long winter's nap!

-E

Spring is just round a couple of corners. That saying keeps me and my brood
happy in the dark days, sort of!
We will be soon on the shortest day, after that our daylight gets longer. I
know it seems like eternity but it will soon be time for chitting etc.

Baz
Old 16-12-2011, 02:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 16/12/2011 14:35, Emery Davis wrote:
What a day, redux. It's dark as night right now, snow swirling and
sheeting across the fields. Good day for staying inside.

We had 120 kph gusting last night on our Normandy hilltop, with
prodigious rain (gauge overflowed at 40 mm). I got the house shuttered
and moved all the pots to ground level before it hit, but we have a few
branches down, looks like a smallish unstaked maple blew over, and I
have a tree down over the public path -- up to me to get it out of the
way of course.

Looking through the window makes me want to take a long winter's nap!

-E

Not quite so bad in this part of Normandy. 29 mm of rain overnight, but
very windy. Not as bad as the night before which managed to blow some
rain under the roof and part of a ceiling collapsed!

No snow yet. I don't want any. Feel free to keep that for yourself. ;-)

--
David in Normandy.
by a filter and not reach my inbox.
Old 16-12-2011, 03:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2011-12-16 13:35:26 +0000, Emery Davis said:

What a day, redux. It's dark as night right now, snow swirling and
sheeting across the fields. Good day for staying inside.

We had 120 kph gusting last night on our Normandy hilltop, with
prodigious rain (gauge overflowed at 40 mm). I got the house shuttered
and moved all the pots to ground level before it hit, but we have a few
branches down, looks like a smallish unstaked maple blew over, and I
have a tree down over the public path -- up to me to get it out of the
way of course.

Looking through the window makes me want to take a long winter's nap!

-E

We've had some half-hearted sleet this morning and a fair bit of rain.
It's quite cold but not very windy, thank goodness. The birds are still
eating us out of house and home!

Sunny now, so at least I'm feeling awake! (Typhoo helps, too).

Damage is worse than I thought, a mature Mirabelle de Nancy is partly
over in the orchard. I planted it about 20 years ago, it was
fruiting nicely. The trunk looks like standing in the bath...

I wonder if I stake it upright, will it have a chance?

Also looks like a big oak gone over along the stream.

-E
Old 16-12-2011, 03:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 12/16/2011 03:15 PM, Baz wrote:
[...]

Say Baz, I've some narcissus up against the house that look like
blooming around Christmas. Daphs are up elsewhere, no tulips or even
much in the way of snowdrops! There's a trident maple still in full
leaf, didn't lose one in the storm looks like. Funny old year...

Old 16-12-2011, 03:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 12/16/2011 03:35 PM, David in Normandy wrote:
On 16/12/2011 14:35, Emery Davis wrote:
What a day, redux. It's dark as night right now, snow swirling and
sheeting across the fields. Good day for staying inside.

We had 120 kph gusting last night on our Normandy hilltop, with
prodigious rain (gauge overflowed at 40 mm). I got the house shuttered
and moved all the pots to ground level before it hit, but we have a few
branches down, looks like a smallish unstaked maple blew over, and I
have a tree down over the public path -- up to me to get it out of the
way of course.

Looking through the window makes me want to take a long winter's nap!

-E

Not quite so bad in this part of Normandy. 29 mm of rain overnight, but
very windy. Not as bad as the night before which managed to blow some
rain under the roof and part of a ceiling collapsed!

That sounds iffy. An old tile roof, I'm guessing? What we've got too.
Worst is light dry snow, it blows right through and settles in the attic.

The storm seems to have tracked away south, so most of the wind was
across the Massif Centrale. I wonder how Judith fared.

We got some water in the wood shed where the gutters couldn't keep up,
but otherwise no flooding problems. The veg producer in the village
who's in a sharp valley (usually a good thing) got all the tunnels
flooded out, a real mess apparently.

No snow yet. I don't want any. Feel free to keep that for yourself. ;-)

Snow's gone, bright and blustery now. Some traces in the fields but
roads should be fine. I'll find out in about a 1/2 hour.
Old 16-12-2011, 03:24 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Emery Davis" wrote in message
[...]

Our big house had superb views which meant of course we were open to the
winds straight off the sea across the valley and up over the hill behind us
:-(

We could tell the wind speed by the amount the slates rattled and the noise
they made. Quite missed that when we had the new roof put on!!

Mike

Old 17-12-2011, 11:22 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Emery Davis wrote in
:

Say Baz, I've some narcissus up against the house that look like
blooming around Christmas. Daphs are up elsewhere, no tulips or
even much in the way of snowdrops! There's a trident maple still in
full leaf, didn't lose one in the storm looks like. Funny old year...

Yes Daphs are up here on my S. facing house wall and have been for a many
weeks now. Like you, no snowdrops yet.

Baz
Old 17-12-2011, 10:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , Sacha
writes
Some types of snow drops do flower very early. Is it unusual for them?
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Actually coincidentally sent you an e-mail Sacha this afternoon about my
snowdrops.
--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph
Old 18-12-2011, 11:12 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2011-12-17 22:01:56 +0000, Janet Tweedy said:

In article , Sacha writes
Some types of snow drops do flower very early. Is it unusual for them?
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com
South Devon

Actually coincidentally sent you an e-mail Sacha this afternoon about
my snowdrops.

Got it, thanks, Janet and I hope you got my reply. Today is blue sky,
patchy cloud, quite a bit of sun. Lovely!

Down pours of hail here

More snow showers here, but only sticking on seed trays. Which is nice.

Meant to warm up later in the week.