Old 03-01-2012, 05:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Weather stations

I have a basic bit of kit but without wind and rain info. Looking to upgrade
to something more sophisticated, wireless with PC software. Who has what
please.
Ta

--
Pete C
London meet Sat June 9th 2012

Old 03-01-2012, 05:21 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Pete C" wrote

I have a basic bit of kit but without wind and rain info. Looking to
upgrade to something more sophisticated, wireless with PC software. Who
has what please.

Bought this as part of the wife's Christmas present, she saw it whilst I was
wandering about the shop ..

http://www.maplin.co.uk/usb-wireless...ecaster-223254

Not had time or the weather to set it up yet but it looks OK for the money
and has PC connections etc. and seems to get good reviews.
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

Old 03-01-2012, 05:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message
"Pete C" wrote

I have a basic bit of kit but without wind and rain info. Looking to
upgrade to something more sophisticated, wireless with PC software. Who
has what please.

Bought this as part of the wife's Christmas present, she saw it whilst I
was wandering about the shop ..

http://www.maplin.co.uk/usb-wireless...ecaster-223254

Not had time or the weather to set it up yet but it looks OK for the money
and has PC connections etc. and seems to get good reviews.
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

Thank you Bob. I actually posted to the wrong group!

Pete C

Old 03-01-2012, 07:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message ...

"Pete C" wrote

I have a basic bit of kit but without wind and rain info. Looking to
upgrade to something more sophisticated, wireless with PC software. Who
has what please.

Bought this as part of the wife's Christmas present, she saw it whilst I
was wandering about the shop ..

http://www.maplin.co.uk/usb-wireless...ecaster-223254

Bob didn't you buy her a rotovator, last Xmas?

Old 03-01-2012, 07:56 PM posted to uk.sci.weather,uk.rec.gardening

On Tue, 3 Jan 2012 17:33:07 -0000, Pete C wrote:

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message
"Pete C" wrote

I have a basic bit of kit but without wind and rain info. Looking

upgrade to something more sophisticated, wireless with PC

software.
Who has what please.

Bought this as part of the wife's Christmas present, she saw it

whilst
I was wandering about the shop ..

http://www.maplin.co.uk/usb-wireless...ecaster-223254

Not had time or the weather to set it up yet but it looks OK for

the
money and has PC connections etc. and seems to get good reviews.

Thank you Bob. I actually posted to the wrong group!

Missed uk.sci.weather? I've added that group.

Really need more information about what measurements you want from
the station and a rough budget.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Old 04-01-2012, 11:11 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Dave Liquorice" wrote in message
ll.co.uk...
On Tue, 3 Jan 2012 17:33:07 -0000, Pete C wrote:

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message
"Pete C" wrote

I have a basic bit of kit but without wind and rain info. Looking

upgrade to something more sophisticated, wireless with PC

software.
Who has what please.

Bought this as part of the wife's Christmas present, she saw it

whilst
I was wandering about the shop ..

http://www.maplin.co.uk/usb-wireless...ecaster-223254

Not had time or the weather to set it up yet but it looks OK for

the
money and has PC connections etc. and seems to get good reviews.

Thank you Bob. I actually posted to the wrong group!

Missed uk.sci.weather? I've added that group.

Really need more information about what measurements you want from
the station and a rough budget.

--
Cheers

That Maplin one will do nicely thanks
Pete C

Old 04-01-2012, 03:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Bertie Doe" wrote in...

"Bob Hobden" wrote ...

"Pete C" wrote

I have a basic bit of kit but without wind and rain info. Looking to
upgrade to something more sophisticated, wireless with PC software. Who
has what please.

Bought this as part of the wife's Christmas present, she saw it whilst I
was wandering about the shop ..

http://www.maplin.co.uk/usb-wireless...ecaster-223254

Bob didn't you buy her a rotovator, last Xmas?

No that was a few Christmas's ago, last year she got a couple of cherry
trees. :-)
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

Old 04-01-2012, 04:58 PM
Registered User

Location: Chalfont St Giles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete C[_3_] View Post
That Maplin one will do nicely thanks
Pete C
I have one of similar functionality/price (from Lacrosse). However I discovered that I could only log data from it if I had it permanently connected to an always-on PC, which was not attractive to me either for the power consumption of the PC, nor from the logistics of locating a PC near where I could locate the receiving station.

You can get weather stations with integrated data loggers, if that is what you want, but they tend to be at the next quality level up, which is quite a large step.

I have found, at least in my case, that:
- Getting good temperature readings is mainly about getting a good location for the sensor, so it is not affected by sunshine or localised artificial heat sources, but without data-logging all you are doing is reading an instant value
- The rain sensor works well and has now collected 3 years data (without automatic data-logging, I read it once a month and write the reading down down - I occasionally have to guess adjustments for snow-fall and late readings)
- The wind-speed detector never worked properly and soon stopped working altogether, though it still shows direction. Even if it did work, locating it properly to be unaffected by obstacles (trees, buildings) is likely to be difficult - quite a different location issue from the temperature sensor where obstacles are useful for shielding the sensor from the sun - what you really need is a large open space without trees or buildings, where you can locate a Stevenson screen for the thermometer and a tall pole for the wind sensor, but this is out of proportion to the cost of the kit
- Some cheap weather stations show a recent history graph for the pressure, which is a useful feature missing from mine.