Old 11-11-2011, 04:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Weather stations

I just bought the Aldi weather station this week (18.99), but it will
have to go back I'm afraid, because it's not measuring the outside
humidity properly.

However I've also discovered, to my surprise - nay, amazement - that it
only appears to measure the range 0 to 70 deg C. Nothing below 0 is no
good to people who live Oop North! I want to know if it's -1, or -10
out there!

Any recommendations for such a weather station? I'm not looking for
anything sophisticated, and (correct me if I'm wrong) I would probably
be happy with only the temperature (humidity can usually be judged by
looking out of the window, IME).

Cheers
John
Old 11-11-2011, 05:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Another John" wrote in message
I just bought the Aldi weather station this week (18.99), but it will
have to go back I'm afraid, because it's not measuring the outside
humidity properly.

However I've also discovered, to my surprise - nay, amazement - that it
only appears to measure the range 0 to 70 deg C. Nothing below 0 is no
good to people who live Oop North! I want to know if it's -1, or -10
out there!

Any recommendations for such a weather station? I'm not looking for
anything sophisticated, and (correct me if I'm wrong) I would probably
be happy with only the temperature (humidity can usually be judged by
looking out of the window, IME).

Cheers
John

Can't help you John, I just look outside.

However, I would be interested to know if it has an outdoor sensor and if it
works through such things as leaded light windows or the like. An OP here a
short while ago failed to answer my questions, perhaps you are more
courteous.

Kindest regards

Mike

Old 11-11-2011, 06:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Another John" wrote ...

I just bought the Aldi weather station this week (18.99), but it will
have to go back I'm afraid, because it's not measuring the outside
humidity properly.

However I've also discovered, to my surprise - nay, amazement - that it
only appears to measure the range 0 to 70 deg C. Nothing below 0 is no
good to people who live Oop North! I want to know if it's -1, or -10
out there!

Any recommendations for such a weather station? I'm not looking for
anything sophisticated, and (correct me if I'm wrong) I would probably
be happy with only the temperature (humidity can usually be judged by
looking out of the window, IME).

Not at anything like that price. Add a nought at the end and you are into
the cheap ones.
--
Regards Bob Hobden
Posting to this Newsgroup from the W. of London UK

Old 11-11-2011, 06:21 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Fri, 11 Nov 2011 17:16:59 -0000, "'Mike'"
wrote:

[...]

FWIW, I procured a multi-sensor digital thermometer from he

http://www.weathershop.co.uk/

Works at 868 MHz. Measures temperature at the receiver and comes with
two remote sensors. One of which is attached to the outside of my
conservatory, the other is in the greenhouse waaay down the garden.
The batteries that were supplied with it couldn't handle summer
temperatures and died. Outdoor operation is (allegedly) down to -39 F
which is conveniently around -39 C. Not sure how the batteries will
hang in there though...

Regards
JonH
Old 11-11-2011, 06:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

news
wrote:

[...]

Thanks for the info JonH, but does it work through leaded lights or the
like? It is a question an OP asked as to whether her remote sensor was not
working because of such leaded mullions and I added leaded lights. As I said
on an earlier posting, no such courtesy of a reply.

Mike

Old 11-11-2011, 06:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Fri, 11 Nov 2011 18:29:45 -0000, "'Mike'"
wrote:

news
wrote:

[...]

Getting OT now. The spacing between the conductive of leaded mullions
will be multiple wavelengths at 868 MHz. I don't think that we're in
the 'waveguide at cut off' region. A good test would be the operation
(or otherwise) of a DECT phone.

Regards
JonH
Old 11-11-2011, 07:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Another John wrote:
I just bought the Aldi weather station this week (18.99), but it will
have to go back I'm afraid, because it's not measuring the outside
humidity properly.

However I've also discovered, to my surprise - nay, amazement - that
it only appears to measure the range 0 to 70 deg C. Nothing below 0
is no good to people who live Oop North! I want to know if it's -1,
or -10 out there!

Any recommendations for such a weather station? I'm not looking for
anything sophisticated, and (correct me if I'm wrong) I would
probably be happy with only the temperature (humidity can usually be
judged by looking out of the window, IME).

Cheers
John

Best place to ask is in uk.sci.weather... nice bunch in there who are very
helpful.

Old 11-11-2011, 08:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Another John" wrote in message
I just bought the Aldi weather station this week (18.99), but it will
have to go back I'm afraid, because it's not measuring the outside
humidity properly.

However I've also discovered, to my surprise - nay, amazement - that it
only appears to measure the range 0 to 70 deg C. Nothing below 0 is no
good to people who live Oop North! I want to know if it's -1, or -10
out there!

Any recommendations for such a weather station? I'm not looking for
anything sophisticated, and (correct me if I'm wrong) I would probably
be happy with only the temperature (humidity can usually be judged by
looking out of the window, IME).

Cheers
John

John, I have one bought from Aldi about 5 years ago. 0-70 is the indoor
unit. The external sensor goes down to -10C. If yours is the same
brand....Ascot.... see 5.5.7in the instructions.
HTH
Pete C

Old 12-11-2011, 08:00 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 11-Nov-2011, "'Mike'" wrote:

"Another John" wrote in message
I just bought the Aldi weather station this week (18.99), but it will
have to go back I'm afraid, because it's not measuring the outside
humidity properly.

However I've also discovered, to my surprise - nay, amazement - that it
only appears to measure the range 0 to 70 deg C. Nothing below 0 is no
good to people who live Oop North! I want to know if it's -1, or -10
out there!

Any recommendations for such a weather station? I'm not looking for
anything sophisticated, and (correct me if I'm wrong) I would probably
be happy with only the temperature (humidity can usually be judged by
looking out of the window, IME).

Cheers
John

Can't help you John, I just look outside.

There's are several Windows desktop 'Gadgets' which show the temperature and
cloudiness of a nearby location, which I find very useful and reasonably
accurate according to my indoor/outdoor thermometer and view from a window.
There can be a degree or two difference though, depending on which location
is chosen and how frequently they are refreshed.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/w...nalize/gadgets

Doug.

Old 12-11-2011, 08:38 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

news

wrote:

[...]

Why would anyone want to reply to a clumsy inarticulate troll such as
yourself Mike?
Old 12-11-2011, 09:39 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Steerpike" wrote in message

news

wrote:

[...]

.................................................. ..................

Just a case of 'manner's and 'courtesy' in answering a question on a matter
already raised Chris, that's all.

Kindest regards

Mike

Old 12-11-2011, 12:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Another John wrote:

I just bought the Aldi weather station this week (18.99), but it will
have to go back I'm afraid, because it's not measuring the outside
humidity properly.

However I've also discovered, to my surprise - nay, amazement - that it
only appears to measure the range 0 to 70 deg C. Nothing below 0 is no
good to people who live Oop North! I want to know if it's -1, or -10
out there!

I've just tried mine, and it seems to be OK so far. Just popped
it into the freezer, and it seems to show minus values.

I think it is only the indoor sensor which isn't declared to work
below 0.

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK

Have dancing shoes, will ceilidh.
Old 13-11-2011, 05:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Chris J Dixon wrote:

However I've also discovered, to my surprise - nay, amazement - that it
only appears to measure the range 0 to 70 deg C. Nothing below 0 is no
good to people who live Oop North! I want to know if it's -1, or -10
out there!

I've just tried mine, and it seems to be OK so far. Just popped
it into the freezer, and it seems to show minus values.
I think it is only the indoor sensor which isn't declared to work
below 0.

Yes - As Pete C also said in an earlier post: thanks chaps: I did
mis-read the handbook.

I will try the freezer dodge: you never know, it might get the humidity
reading working again.

John
Old 13-11-2011, 06:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

OP again .... Also, Mike asked:

However, I would be interested to know if it has an outdoor sensor and if it
works through such things as leaded light windows or the like....

Yes it has an outdoor sensor - that's why I bought it. There's no
reference to such limitations as metallic 'barrier' interference - only
to reinforced concrete, and to other electronic equipment being too
close to the base station.

The handbook is very clear about siting the sensor and the base station
-- obviously because the manufacturers must get complaints about these
things being "faulty" when it's just that too much has been asked of
them. Has to be said - most of what they tell you is pretty
common-sensical.

John