Old 05-01-2012, 10:12 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Interesting thought re trees coming down

An IOW Urgler has been in discussion with me about the number of trees which
have come down and she raised an interesting point. Many are covered with
Ivy. She feels that the trees have been damaged. I feel that it is the
weight of the Ivy.

Urgler's comments please.

Mike

Old 05-01-2012, 10:43 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Jan 5, 10:12*am, "'Mike'" wrote:
An IOW Urgler has been in discussion with me about the number of trees which
have come down and she raised an interesting point. Many are covered with
Ivy. She feels that the trees have been damaged. I feel that it is the
weight of the Ivy.

Urgler's comments please.

Mike

I'm an Angel, honest ! The horns are there just to keep the halo straight..

The Ivy makes a greater cross section so creating more wind resistance
so they are indeed more likely to blow down.
Old 05-01-2012, 05:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"'Mike'" wrote in message
An IOW Urgler has been in discussion with me about the number of trees
which have come down and she raised an interesting point. Many are covered
with Ivy. She feels that the trees have been damaged. I feel that it is
the weight of the Ivy.

Urgler's comments please.

Mike

Ivy tends to get going best in trees that are on the way out, that way with
less leaves on the tree and less water demand they can grow bigger than in a
healthy tree, but it is also true that in winter when we tend to have the
worst storms that the evergreen nature of Ivy provides more windage, all
trees can be vulnerable in waterlogged ground to being uprooted.

A good look at the base of trees that have come down will often reveal
something wrong, but the Ivy is more obvious and seems to get the blame!

--
Charlie, Gardening in Cornwall
and Lapageria rosea cvs