Old 08-01-2012, 08:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Raspberry cane question

I'd appreciate some advice about my raspberry canes. (Autumn Bliss)
The patch on my allotment has spread to a block about 8 feet wide.
This year it was difficult to pick from the canes in the middle, but I
had an excellent crop.
With the least amount of effort I want to make a path along the middle
to divide the patch into two accessible ones.
I do not have the energy to dig up the canes to do this.
What would happen if I waited till they start to sprout and then used
weed killer? Will the chemical spread via the roots to all the canes?
Another idea would be to offer canes to the allotment person who'd
like to dig them up.
I'm giving up the allotment at the end of this year.
Any thoughts or advice?

Pam in Bristol
Old 08-01-2012, 09:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Pam Moore" wrote in message
I'd appreciate some advice about my raspberry canes. (Autumn Bliss)
The patch on my allotment has spread to a block about 8 feet wide.
This year it was difficult to pick from the canes in the middle, but I
had an excellent crop.
With the least amount of effort I want to make a path along the middle
to divide the patch into two accessible ones.
I do not have the energy to dig up the canes to do this.
What would happen if I waited till they start to sprout and then used
weed killer? Will the chemical spread via the roots to all the canes?
Another idea would be to offer canes to the allotment person who'd
like to dig them up.
I'm giving up the allotment at the end of this year.
Any thoughts or advice?

Try offering your neighbour yours if he will cultivate half of it for you.
I'm going to do this, I have a half acre plot in the village that is desired
by everyone, and i'm planning offering a plot free, in return for
cultivating a plot for me.

Tina

Old 09-01-2012, 01:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 01/08/2012 09:04 PM, Pam Moore wrote:
I'd appreciate some advice about my raspberry canes. (Autumn Bliss)
The patch on my allotment has spread to a block about 8 feet wide.
This year it was difficult to pick from the canes in the middle, but I
had an excellent crop.
With the least amount of effort I want to make a path along the middle
to divide the patch into two accessible ones.
I do not have the energy to dig up the canes to do this.
What would happen if I waited till they start to sprout and then used
weed killer? Will the chemical spread via the roots to all the canes?
Another idea would be to offer canes to the allotment person who'd
like to dig them up.
I'm giving up the allotment at the end of this year.
Any thoughts or advice?

Hi Pam,

I can tell you that Roundup is really effective in killing raspberries,
as I once found out to my sorrow. Even touching the canes with no
leaves seems to kill them.
Old 10-01-2012, 08:38 AM
Registered User

Location: Chalfont St Giles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pam Moore[_2_] View Post
I'd appreciate some advice about my raspberry canes. (Autumn Bliss)
The patch on my allotment has spread to a block about 8 feet wide.
This year it was difficult to pick from the canes in the middle, but I
had an excellent crop.
With the least amount of effort I want to make a path along the middle
to divide the patch into two accessible ones.
I do not have the energy to dig up the canes to do this.
What would happen if I waited till they start to sprout and then used
weed killer? Will the chemical spread via the roots to all the canes?
Another idea would be to offer canes to the allotment person who'd
like to dig them up.
I'm giving up the allotment at the end of this year.
Any thoughts or advice?
Even if you did dig out the canes in a path down the middle, they'd spread back into the path from the adjacent patches in no time. Weedkiller is a bad idea on an edible crop, even if you carefully avoid using anything systemic.

The solution is just to get out your trusty shears and cut your way through, probably have to be repeated at intervals a few times during the year, but shouldn't take very long if you are cutting through new green growth each time.

If it was for the long term, you'd lay some paving slabs.