Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-01-2012, 11:32 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Palms - never give up!

With very few exceptions, it is generally considered that if the growing
point of a palm is damaged, the plant is doomed.

Maybe not.

About 23 years ago I bought a small Dypsis decaryi (Triangle palm). The
trunk was about 15 cm high, and it had a couple of leaves about 40 cm
long. Over the next 15 years or so it grew a leaf every year or two;
the arrival of a new leaf would be heralded by a small green spear
appearing in the crown next to the previous leaf. Around 7 years ago,
with the trunk 30 cm high, and around 5 leaves 3 metres long, I noticed
the next spear coming through. But after a month it hadn't seemed to
grow. I repotted the plant, but it made no difference - the spear did
not move. One by one the remaining leaves died and I cut them off.
About 18 months ago the plant was a sorry sight with only one long green
leaf left. The non-growing spear was where it had been for the last 7
years. I was tempted to throw it out.

In early December I noticed another spear appearing. I marked its
position, and a couple of weeks later it had grown a centimetre. A
couple of weeks later, another spear had appeared a few centimetres
below the new one. The original, dead(?) spear is still where it was 7
years ago. I am looking forward to having this attractive palm with
several leaves on view again.

So can palms recover? Maybe not enough time has been allowed to see if
they can regrow.

--

Jeff

Give us a square foot and we'll give you a year's worth of produce Ablang Gardening 1 20-04-2008 08:18 AM
Crug Never say Never Rupert United Kingdom 3 26-02-2006 01:10 PM
Help burn palms Sue Australia 1 14-02-2003 02:22 AM
Hardy Palms - long (was Trachycarpus Fortunei Palms) [email protected] United Kingdom 0 23-11-2002 04:15 AM
Trachycarpus Fortunei Palms Clive Wilson United Kingdom 4 22-11-2002 06:11 PM