Old 16-01-2012, 03:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Gladstone peas

I have an allotment in S.Manchester and have been growing tall peas
for some years since they have more flavour,though they do need much
more support and efforts to keep the pigeons off.I currently grow Ne
Plus Ultra,Magnum Bonum and Chamoion of England,all growing to about
6'.
I would very much like to swap some of these seeds with anyone who has
some Gladstone peas.
Alternatively I could swap some grapevine cuttings in
season(Rondo,Bacchus,Schonberger) for Gladstone peas if anyone wishes
to grow wine making grapes on the allotment.
Michael
Old 17-01-2012, 05:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

On Jan 16, 3:29*pm, michael wrote:
I have an allotment in S.Manchester and have been growing tall peas
for some years since they have more flavour,though they do need much
more support and efforts to keep the pigeons off.I currently grow Ne
Plus Ultra,Magnum Bonum and Chamoion of England,all growing to about
6'.
I would very much like to swap some of these seeds with anyone who has
some Gladstone peas.
Alternatively I could swap some grapevine cuttings in
season(Rondo,Bacchus,Schonberger) *for Gladstone peas if anyone wishes
to grow wine making grapes on the allotment.
Michael

Don't know your varieties, I grow Epicure.
David
Old 19-01-2012, 11:03 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Mon, 16 Jan 2012 07:29:29 -0800 (PST), michael
wrote:

I have an allotment in S.Manchester and have been growing tall peas
for some years since they have more flavour,though they do need much
more support and efforts to keep the pigeons off.I currently grow Ne
Plus Ultra,Magnum Bonum and Chamoion of England,all growing to about
6'.
I would very much like to swap some of these seeds with anyone who has
some Gladstone peas.
Alternatively I could swap some grapevine cuttings in
season(Rondo,Bacchus,Schonberger) for Gladstone peas if anyone wishes
to grow wine making grapes on the allotment.
Michael

I grew Ne Plus Ultra and Magnum Bonum some years ago and they were
certainly excellent flavour.
Can't offer swops but where do you get your seed or are they saved? I
got them originally from Ryton Heritage seeds. Can they be bought
anywhere? Have you a few to sell?

Pam in Bristol
Old 19-01-2012, 11:48 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , Pam Moore
writes
I grew Ne Plus Ultra

Same here, but I didn't get many peas from them. However the flavour as
you say, was very good. They are quite tall if I remember correctly.
Got them from Edwin Tucker seeds I think or it may have been Seeds of
Distinction.
--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph
Old 19-01-2012, 03:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:
[...]

I obtained my seed originally from The Lost gardens of Heligan and
have saved seed from Ne Plus Ultra ,Champion of England and Magnum
bonum.
I do not wish to sell the seed but rather wait until I find a swap
with some other heritage varieties,in particular Gladstone.I object
somewhat to paying exorbitant prices to obtain the seed from HSL,and
would rather swap some more useful amounts with other allotment
holders and gardeners.I think that one or two seed companies (Tuckers
and Real Seeds) sell Champion of England and Ne Plus Ultra,but noone
sells Gladstone yet.
Michael

Old 20-01-2012, 01:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Thu, 19 Jan 2012 11:48:53 +0000, Janet Tweedy
wrote:

In article , Pam Moore
writes
I grew Ne Plus Ultra

Same here, but I didn't get many peas from them. However the flavour as
you say, was very good. They are quite tall if I remember correctly.
Got them from Edwin Tucker seeds I think or it may have been Seeds of
Distinction.

I've ordered Magnum Bonum from Robinson's. 50 seeds £2.75.
That's more than enough for me.

Pam in Bristol