Old 20-01-2012, 07:17 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default I am now using an electric fence around my garden pond.

Following several attacks by foxes and invasions by the dog next door,
I have erected an electric fence around my pond. Visits from foxes
seemed to have ceased with the onset of winter. I don't know what
urban foxes do in the winter but the dog from next door is still a
nuisance and seems able to scrabble over even a very high fence.

I don't know yet if the fence will be effective but cats approach the
fence and seem able to sense the electrification. Anyone know if this
is so, can animals sense it?

Doug

Old 20-01-2012, 07:52 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Doug" wrote in message
Following several attacks by foxes and invasions by the dog next door,
I have erected an electric fence around my pond. Visits from foxes
seemed to have ceased with the onset of winter. I don't know what
urban foxes do in the winter but the dog from next door is still a
nuisance and seems able to scrabble over even a very high fence.

I don't know yet if the fence will be effective but cats approach the
fence and seem able to sense the electrification. Anyone know if this
is so, can animals sense it?

Doug

That's a fascinating question Doug. Is it AC or DC? If AC I would/could say
yes because of the frequency but if it is DC ....................?

Mike

Old 20-01-2012, 08:59 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Doug" wrote in message
Following several attacks by foxes and invasions by the dog next door,
I have erected an electric fence around my pond. Visits from foxes
seemed to have ceased with the onset of winter. I don't know what
urban foxes do in the winter but the dog from next door is still a
nuisance and seems able to scrabble over even a very high fence.

I don't know yet if the fence will be effective but cats approach the
fence and seem able to sense the electrification. Anyone know if this
is so, can animals sense it?

Doug

More likely they have already learnt the hard way!

Our ponds are regular watering holes for all the local cats as well as
assorted wildlife, seems a shame to have to cut off access just because of
one badly controlled dog

--
Charlie, Gardening in Cornwall
and Lapageria rosea cvs

Old 20-01-2012, 09:17 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Jan 20, 7:52*am, "'Mike'" wrote:
"Doug" wrote in message

Following several attacks by foxes and invasions by the dog next door,
I have erected an electric fence around my pond. Visits from foxes
seemed to have ceased with the onset of winter. I don't know what
urban foxes do in the winter but the dog from next door is still a
nuisance and seems able to scrabble over even a very high fence.

I don't know yet if the fence will be effective but cats approach the
fence and seem able to sense the electrification. Anyone know if this
is so, can animals sense it?

Doug

That's a fascinating question Doug. Is it AC or DC? If AC I would/could say
yes because of the frequency but if it is DC ....................?

Mike

I'm an Angel, honest ! The horns are there just to keep the halo straight..

If he's used a commercial one intended for cattle, it works like a car
ignition coil. ie DC.
Old 20-01-2012, 09:20 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Jan 20, 7:17*am, Doug wrote:
Following several attacks by foxes and invasions by the dog next door,
I have erected an electric fence around my pond. Visits from foxes
seemed to have ceased with the onset of winter. I don't know what
urban foxes do in the winter but the dog from next door is still a
nuisance and seems able to scrabble over even a very high fence.

I don't know yet if the fence will be effective but cats approach the
fence and seem able to sense the electrification. Anyone know if this
is so, can animals sense it?

Doug

I think people have to conrol their dogs by law, unlike cats.
There is a strong electric field around high voltage. They might well
be able to sense it prior to contact.

Old 20-01-2012, 10:20 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Doug" wrote ...

Following several attacks by foxes and invasions by the dog next door,
I have erected an electric fence around my pond. Visits from foxes
seemed to have ceased with the onset of winter. I don't know what
urban foxes do in the winter but the dog from next door is still a
nuisance and seems able to scrabble over even a very high fence.

I don't know yet if the fence will be effective but cats approach the
fence and seem able to sense the electrification. Anyone know if this
is so, can animals sense it?

Two things, cats have very sensitive whiskers so might well be able to sense
the magnetic field around a wire. Dogs are an animal that the law says is
controllable, unlike cats, so it is your neighbours problem, or should be,
as they should be controlling their animal.
If you were a farmer you could legally shoot it if it worried your
livestock. I remember a farmer relative doing that to one that constantly
chased his sheep and the "townie" owner who had ignored warnings tried
creating a stink without any success.
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

Old 20-01-2012, 10:24 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Fri, 20 Jan 2012 01:17:00 -0800 (PST), harry wrote:

If he's used a commercial one intended for cattle, it works like a car
ignition coil. ie DC.

Commercial electric fences are pulses of high voltage (2 to 3kV) at 1
to 1.5 second intervals. There isn't much energy required about 0.5
joules for short fences (note this is short in farming terms
10km...).

You can often hear an electric fence ticking with each pulse,
particulary if it is damp or has vegitation touching it. Cats have
pretty good hearing they may well be detecting the sound rather than
the electric pulse.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Old 20-01-2012, 03:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message
,
harry writes
I think people have to conrol their dogs by law, unlike cats.

Yes, dogs are "controllable" ani8mals, cats are not as has been
mentioned many many times.
You have a number of escalating remedies starting with talking to the
owners, getting the council's dog warden involved, claiming for any
damage off their household insurance, ultimately if you can show it is
dangerously out of control then Dangerous Dogs Act applies.

But if you want to be really really nasty you could always report them
to the RSPCA.
--
hugh
Old 20-01-2012, 07:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

On Jan 20, 3:06*pm, hugh ] wrote:
In message
,
harry writesI think people have to conrol their dogs by law, unlike cats.

Yes, dogs are "controllable" ani8mals, cats are not as has been
mentioned many many times.
You have a *number of escalating remedies starting with talking to the
owners, getting the council's dog warden involved, claiming for any
damage off their household insurance, ultimately if you can show it is
dangerously out of control then Dangerous Dogs Act applies.

But if you want to be really really nasty you could always report them
to the RSPCA.
--
hugh

Or
You could put the electric fence above your other fence so that when
the dog tries to get over it will come into contact with your electric
fence, it should soon learn
No Climbing.
David @ The wet end of Swansea bay
Old 21-01-2012, 04:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Jan 20, 3:06*pm, hugh ] wrote:
In message
,
harry writesI think people have to conrol their dogs by law, unlike cats.

Yes, dogs are "controllable" ani8mals, cats are not as has been
mentioned many many times.
You have a *number of escalating remedies starting with talking to the
owners, getting the council's dog warden involved, claiming for any
damage off their household insurance, ultimately if you can show it is
dangerously out of control then Dangerous Dogs Act applies.

But if you want to be really really nasty you could always report them
to the RSPCA.

I am more concerned about the several foxes than the one dog and I am
on good terms with the neighbour.

Doug.

Old 21-01-2012, 04:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Jan 20, 7:52*am, "'Mike'" wrote:
"Doug" wrote in message

Following several attacks by foxes and invasions by the dog next door,
I have erected an electric fence around my pond. Visits from foxes
seemed to have ceased with the onset of winter. I don't know what
urban foxes do in the winter but the dog from next door is still a
nuisance and seems able to scrabble over even a very high fence.

I don't know yet if the fence will be effective but cats approach the
fence and seem able to sense the electrification. Anyone know if this
is so, can animals sense it?

Doug

That's a fascinating question Doug. Is it AC or DC? If AC I would/could say
yes because of the frequency but if it is DC ....................?

Mike

Its a pulse so its more like AC. I have an EM detector and it can pick
it up about half a metre away.

Doug.
Old 21-01-2012, 04:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Jan 20, 8:59*am, "Charlie Pridham"
wrote:
"Doug" wrote in message

Following several attacks by foxes and invasions by the dog next door,
I have erected an electric fence around my pond. Visits from foxes
seemed to have ceased with the onset of winter. I don't know what
urban foxes do in the winter but the dog from next door is still a
nuisance and seems able to scrabble over even a very high fence.

I don't know yet if the fence will be effective but cats approach the
fence and seem able to sense the electrification. Anyone know if this
is so, can animals sense it?

Doug

More likely they have already learnt the hard way!

Our ponds are regular watering holes for all the local cats as well as
assorted wildlife, seems a shame to have to cut off access just because of
one badly controlled dog

I have another small pond without fishes where they can still drink.

Doug.
Old 21-01-2012, 06:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

On Jan 21, 4:26*pm, Doug wrote:
On Jan 20, 3:06*pm, hugh ] wrote: In message
,
harry writesI think people have to conrol their dogs by law, unlike cats.

Yes, dogs are "controllable" ani8mals, cats are not as has been
mentioned many many times.
You have a *number of escalating remedies starting with talking to the
owners, getting the council's dog warden involved, claiming for any
damage off their household insurance, ultimately if you can show it is
dangerously out of control then Dangerous Dogs Act applies.

But if you want to be really really nasty you could always report them
to the RSPCA.

I am more concerned about the several foxes than the one dog and I am
on good terms with the neighbour.

Doug.

Well to keep rabbits and foxes off my dahlias I have had to resort to
electric rabbit netting, 150 meters of the stuff, but it works.
David @ the wet end of Swansea Bay
Old 22-01-2012, 08:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Doug" wrote in message
Following several attacks by foxes and invasions by the dog next door,
I have erected an electric fence around my pond. Visits from foxes
seemed to have ceased with the onset of winter. I don't know what
urban foxes do in the winter but the dog from next door is still a
nuisance and seems able to scrabble over even a very high fence.

I don't know yet if the fence will be effective but cats approach the
fence and seem able to sense the electrification. Anyone know if this
is so, can animals sense it?

Doug

Be careful, because, using an "electric fence" to keep out a neighbour's
dog, or any other dog for that matter, may well be illegal in the UK.

We are not allowed to use "Electric Shock" training collars in Wales, as
these are deemed cruel and are illegal- the RSPCA have something to say
about this.

Electric, or electronic fences (usually installed underground) are used in
conjnction with a receiver on the dog collar. I assume you reighbour
wouldn't agree to his dog wearing such a collar for your convenience.

The right approach would be to get your neighbour to train his dog
properly - I suspect this would not be easily achieved!

Bill

Old 22-01-2012, 10:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Bill Grey" wrote in message

"Doug" wrote in message
[...]

Having read posts from Sacha and others regarding her webbing type electric
fence, I wonder what the operating voltage etc these work at, are they in
common use by gardeners and of an approved type.

Perhaps Doug could describe the frnce he intends using.

I could have done with such a fence when my two Labs were alive.

Bill

Electric Fence wruess Ponds (alternative) 1 22-01-2006 05:07 AM
Electric Fence in winter Cam Ponds 11 11-11-2004 04:10 PM
Electric Fence Recommendations Doug Kanter Gardening 32 25-09-2004 03:39 PM
Electric Fence Recomm THURSTON ACKERMAN Gardening 0 23-09-2004 09:37 PM
electric fence for ponds? Fish tales Ponds 6 09-04-2004 11:32 PM