Old 23-01-2012, 08:05 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default I am now using an electric fence around my garden pond.

On Jan 22, 8:58*pm, "Bill Grey" wrote:
"Doug" wrote in message

Following several attacks by foxes and invasions by the dog next door,
I have erected an electric fence around my pond. Visits from foxes
seemed to have ceased with the onset of winter. I don't know what
urban foxes do in the winter but the dog from next door is still a
nuisance and seems able to scrabble over even a very high fence.

I don't know yet if the fence will be effective but cats approach the
fence and seem able to sense the electrification. Anyone know if this
is so, can animals sense it?

Doug

Be careful, because, using an *"electric fence" to keep out a neighbour's
dog, or any other dog for that matter, may well be illegal in the UK.

We are not allowed to use "Electric Shock" training collars in Wales, as
these are deemed cruel and are illegal- the RSPCA have something to say
about this.

Electric, or electronic fences (usually installed underground) are used in
conjnction with a receiver on the dog collar. *I assume you reighbour
wouldn't agree to his dog wearing such a collar for your convenience.

The right approach would be to get your neighbour to train his dog
properly - I suspect this would not be easily achieved!

My neighbour says if the dog gets a shock it will serve him right. He
is as fed up about the dog getting over into my garden as I am and he
has raised the fence with boards but the dog can still climb over. At
least he won't damage my pond now. Apparently his children won't let
him get rid of the dog, much as he would like to.

BTW, my CCTV showed a fox getting a shock last night so it appears
they cannot sense the electricity from a distance. There were three
foxes last night so they are back again in force (groan!). Presumably
they will become even more active as Spring approaches?

Doug.

Old 23-01-2012, 08:08 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Jan 22, 10:27*pm, "Bill Grey" wrote:
"Bill Grey" wrote in message

"Doug" wrote in message
[...]

Bill

Having read posts from Sacha and others regarding her webbing type electric
fence, I wonder what the operating voltage etc these work at, are they in
common use by gardeners and of an approved *type.

Perhaps Doug could describe the frnce he intends using.

I *could have done with such a fence when my two Labs were alive.

My fence uses several strands of string with wires in it on plastic
poles. I am wondering how they keep electric netting from making
contact with the ground?

Doug.

Old 23-01-2012, 08:30 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Bill Grey" wrote in message

"Doug" wrote in message
[...]

Roll the bottom 12 inches up on itself, (or move the netting up 12 inches)
and replace that gap with a plastic netting

Mike

Old 23-01-2012, 09:30 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

My fence uses several strands of string with wires in it on plastic
poles. I am wondering how they keep electric netting from making
contact with the ground?

Doug.- Hide quoted text -

With the electric netting the bottom strand does not caryt any
electric, so you have a couple of inches before you start with
currant, so keep the grass cut short below the fence.
You slope the fence outwards so that contact is made with the fence
before anything starts digging at the base of the fence.
Old 23-01-2012, 05:24 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2012-01-22 22:27:10 +0000, "Bill Grey" said:

"Bill Grey" wrote in message

"Doug" wrote in message
[...]

We're running ours off a 12v tractor battery. If I get a bit of time
tomorrow, I'll try to take a pic but it's really a tall rabbit fence. But
I must stress that at night, the hens are shut up within the run that is
attached to the coop.
--
Sacha

Thanks Sacha, this is new to me.
Bill

Old 23-01-2012, 05:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Doug" wrote in message

[...]

You must suggest to your neighbour to watch "The Dog Whisperer" - Cesar
Milan. He would be able to stop the dog trespassing. As is so often the
case, it's the owner at fault not the dog.

Bill

Old 23-01-2012, 07:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message
, Doug
writes
"Doug" wrote in message

[...]

Suggest he puts up netting on aluminium poles on top of the fence.
Ideally bend them back to overhang his garden - this is the system we
use to keep our cat IN.
--
hugh
Old 23-01-2012, 09:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Doug" wrote in message

[...]

The owner needs a very high powered water pistol or hose. Every time the
dog tries to climb the fence (before it's electrified!!) owner gives him a
shot of cold water and sends him to his basket immediately.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

I take it you haven't seen the "Dog Whisperer" either...:-)

His understanding of a dog's way of thinking is remarkable.

Bill

Old 24-01-2012, 09:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2012-01-23 17:24:13 +0000, "Bill Grey" said:

"Sacha" wrote in message
snip
We're running ours off a 12v tractor battery. If I get a bit of time
tomorrow, I'll try to take a pic but it's really a tall rabbit fence.
But
I must stress that at night, the hens are shut up within the run that is
attached to the coop.
--
Sacha

Thanks Sacha, this is new to me.
Bill

Ray took this photo today, Bill. He says he hopes it's clear enough. This
fencing came from Edwin Tucker in Ashburton.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/hillhou...in/photostream

--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Yes the photo shows the scale of things. I didn't expect it to be as large
as it is. I had the idea it would have been about 18" high with a much
smaller mesh.

Thanks again.

Bill

Old 28-01-2012, 11:19 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Doug" wrote in message

[...]

They're at their worst when they have cubs to feed. *Ime, when a dog
has once touched an electric fence, it steers well clear always. Each
of ours did it precisely once and refused to even approach the area
after that. *And our own dog seems to know that the chickens are off
limits, even when they're running around outside their enclosure. *They
enjoy nothing more than scratching around the compost heap or laying
eggs in a bamboo thicket!
--

Don't the chickens get shocks?

An urban fox came into my garden during the day at 1.30pm recently. It
climbed over my neighbour's high fence on the left, ran down the alley
to the front of my house, quickly returned and seemed to stop and
taunt the dogs in the garden on the right. It then went to the end of
my garden and performed an amazing feat of jumping and climbing onto a
high shed roof before disappearing. I am beginning to wonder if even
an electric fence can keep them out.

Doug.

Old 29-01-2012, 08:16 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2012-01-23 08:05:29 +0000, Doug said:

On Jan 22, 8:58*pm, "Bill Grey" wrote:
"Doug" wrote in message

.

..

Following several attacks by foxes and invasions by the dog next door

,
[...]

They don't seem to but they do keeep clear of the fence, so either
they've had a tiny one once, or they're simply not interested in it.

An urban fox came into my garden during the day at 1.30pm recently. It
climbed over my neighbour's high fence on the left, ran down the alley
to the front of my house, quickly returned and seemed to stop and
taunt the dogs in the garden on the right. It then went to the end of
my garden and performed an amazing feat of jumping and climbing onto a
high shed roof before disappearing. I am beginning to wonder if even
an electric fence can keep them out.

Doug.

Not if there's something nearby to use as an aerial platform!

There is the fence but then it would probably land in the pond!

The dog came over again last night at about 6pm. He appeared to sniff
at the fence wire and touch it gently but didn't jump back. Maybe he
got a tiny shock through his fur?

Doug.

Old 29-01-2012, 11:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message
,
Doug writes

On 2012-01-23 08:05:29 +0000, Doug said:

On Jan 22, 8:58*pm, "Bill Grey" wrote:
"Doug" wrote in message

.
..

[...]

That's a problem with general purpose electric fences - you have no idea
how much pain you are inflicting on any particular species.

--
hugh
Old 30-01-2012, 07:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Sacha
writes
On 2012-01-29 23:31:26 +0000, hugh ] said:

In message
,
Doug writes

On 2012-01-23 08:05:29 +0000, Doug said:

On Jan 22, 8:58*pm, "Bill Grey"

"Doug" wrote in message

.
..

[...]

Ours was tested by humans.

But how does that correlate to the nervous system of a chicken for
example or a dog.
--
hugh
Old 02-02-2012, 07:25 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Sacha writes
On 2012-01-29 23:31:26 +0000, hugh ] said:

In message
,
Doug writes

On 2012-01-23 08:05:29 +0000, Doug said:

On Jan 22, 8:58*pm, "Bill Grey"
"Doug" wrote in message

.

..

[...]

None of them has died, (including the humans) none of them has shown
signs of being more than usually doolally and all are still allive but
respectful. *I'd call that a result in that the foxes haven't got to
the chickens, the chickens are laying like crazy and they're running
energetically around their extremely large pen like animated feather
dusters, watched from a respectful distance by the dogs. *Works for us.
*And them.

A cat went through my electric fence yesterday. It was just out of
sight of the camera unfortunately but I could see the lower wires
moving as it did so. It was acting alarmed as if being chased by
something and ended up just visible on the fence.

Doug.

Electric Fence wruess Ponds (alternative) 1 22-01-2006 05:07 AM
Electric Fence in winter Cam Ponds 11 11-11-2004 04:10 PM
Electric Fence Recommendations Doug Kanter Gardening 32 25-09-2004 03:39 PM
Electric Fence Recomm THURSTON ACKERMAN Gardening 0 23-09-2004 09:37 PM
electric fence for ponds? Fish tales Ponds 6 09-04-2004 11:32 PM