Old 02-02-2012, 10:37 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Pea question

I am experimenting with early peas this year
and planted some at the same time as my broad beans
(late November)
I used Metior and was told the they overwinter well.

They where doing well but now the frost has knocked them flat.
Is that the end of them or will they pick up again?.

Also my broad beans are looking a bit sorry for themselves, I
use Aquadulce and they have stood up to the frost and snow
very well in past years.

Does any one here grow early peas?, any tips would be welcome.

Wally

Old 02-02-2012, 11:16 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Wally" wrote in news:jgdp13$vai$1
@news.albasani.net:

I am experimenting with early peas this year
and planted some at the same time as my broad beans
(late November)
I used Metior and was told the they overwinter well.

They where doing well but now the frost has knocked them flat.
Is that the end of them or will they pick up again?.

Also my broad beans are looking a bit sorry for themselves, I
use Aquadulce and they have stood up to the frost and snow
very well in past years.

Does any one here grow early peas?, any tips would be welcome.

Wally

Good for you with experimenting, I do experiments all the time and have
learned a thing or two.

I sowed some Hurst Greenshaft peas in October, not a first early, but a
reliable, tasty and prolific pea.(up to 10 pea per pod)

I have covered my pea and bean with a fleece, so we will see what goes.

My broad beans are Bunyards Exhibition and The sutton.
Have abandoned Aquadulce because of lack of beans in the pods.

Good luck to you, Wally
Baz
Old 02-02-2012, 04:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Wally" wrote in message
I am experimenting with early peas this year
and planted some at the same time as my broad beans
(late November)
I used Metior and was told the they overwinter well.

They where doing well but now the frost has knocked them flat.
Is that the end of them or will they pick up again?.

Also my broad beans are looking a bit sorry for themselves, I
use Aquadulce and they have stood up to the frost and snow
very well in past years.

Does any one here grow early peas?, any tips would be welcome.

Wally, I sowed Aquadulce in November, and a second batch 3 weeks ago. First
lot up 6" and looking good. I intend sowing peas this weekend....if it
doesn't snow. In previous years, I used a polly tunnel, but not this time.
Pete C

Pea or not a pea Marq United Kingdom 2 26-03-2010 11:24 AM
Pea question Wally[_3_] United Kingdom 5 08-12-2008 05:42 PM
Pea question George.com United Kingdom 1 28-10-2007 06:45 PM
Sweet Pea Trials Faye United Kingdom 0 01-06-2003 05:20 PM
Lack of sugar pea blossoms? Repeating Decimal Edible Gardening 0 14-02-2003 07:51 PM