Old 20-02-2012, 06:03 PM posted to uk.legal,uk.rec.gardening,uk.politics.misc

Default Sodium Chloride!! ... the silent killer??

The Todal wrote:
"Norman Wells" wrote in message
The Todal wrote:
Norman Wells wrote:
The Todal wrote:
"Martin Brown" wrote in message

Yeah. Right. They look about as authoritative as the claims that
high fructose corn syrup is good for you (if you want type II
diabetes and hypertension) or tobacco industry stuff proving that
smoking does not cause cancer. Why I am not surprised that
various salt manufacturers associations are saying that you
should eat shed loads of salt - could it be that they profit
from increased sales? Some dietary salt is essential, but it is
also true that far too
much modern processed food contains way too much salt (and
sugar). Sodium is so common in the environment that it is rare to
be
deficient today unless you do something very silly on a fad diet.

Sodium chloride is associated with stomach cancer. People eat far
too much added salt in their diet.

I don't. I eat exactly the amount I want. And I always will.

Well, no you don't.

If you buy a loaf of bread or a packet of breakfast cereal or a
pizza, you can't remove some of the salt before eating these things.
And there is generally too much salt in these products because in
customer surveys the stuff with less salt is judged to be bland and
less popular by customers, and that's mainly because everyone has
got used to eating a lot of salt. Just as everyone has got used to
eating a lot of sugar so people expect sugar in their tomato
ketchup, etc.

Don't be so patronising.

Don't be so defensive. A moment's thought would tell you that you
are wrong when you say you eat exactly the amount of salt that you
want. If you are eating a sandwich from a loaf of bread that contains
a lot of salt, you don't stop eating it when you've had exactly
enough salt. That way, you go hungry.

I choose the bread because I like the taste. My sense of taste dictates
how much salt I want to eat. No-one else.

I'm old enough to buy the products I like the taste of. And stuff
with less salt in _is_ bland, boring and uninteresting. So, I don't
buy it. Therefore, I eat exactly the amount of salt I want, just as
I said.

However, with proper guidance and education you could learn to buy
stuff with less salt in it,

Don't be so patronising.

and add the salt when you really think it's needed.

As many reports have shown, ready-made sandwiches from Pret a Manger
or Subway or M&S often contain far too much salt sprinkled over the
ingredients. You would probably say that if they have too much salt
for your taste you won't buy them.

Indeed.

That isn't a good way of ensuring that the public eats a more healthy
diet

You really are a control freak, aren't you? You know best. For
everyone.

and has less incidence of
stomach cancer, kidney disease, high blood pressure, strokes etc.
Relying on the good sense and tastebuds of the British population is
a recipe for disaster.

That depends on whether you believe the scare stories that abound in the
Mail, which is similarly patronising and controlling. You're well
suited.

I notice, and it annoys me, when salt is taken out of products I
like, and I stop buying them. Manufacturers should note that
because others are very much like me. Since all products with less
salt will tend to the bland and boring, there will be nothing to
choose between them and people will stop buying the specific brands
that once had their loyalty.

Exactly so. You are an addict, just as surely as if you were on
regular doses of Valium. If you ever make your own bread you will
find that it tastes bland unless you double the salt specified in the
recipe. That isn't because the recipe is wrong. It's because your
learned sense of taste is wrong.

No it isn't. It's because the Food police, just as you do, like to tell
everyone how to behave, and love nothing better than imposing it on
others if they can.

Butt out. It's entirely a personal decision.

It should go without saying of course that if you are eating your
dinner it would be better not to sprinkle any additional salt on
your food as this won't confer any benefit and may very slightly
increase the risk to your health.

I sprinkle salt on my dinner when I want to enhance the flavour.
That's a very considerable benefit in my view, since enjoying food
is one of the main incentives for eating it.

I wouldn't deprive you of that pleasure.

How kind.

If you want to obediently follow the Food Police and always do what
they say is good for you, generally with very little scientific
evidence to back it up, you do that.

It isn't just about me and you and our personal preferences. Society
won't care when you are in a nursing home recovering from a stroke
caused by high blood pressure caused by salt. You are expendable,
Norman. What we need is a nationwide public health initiative to
make the population more healthy and less dependent on the NHS. Just
as we abolished cholera by preventing people using water contaminated
with sewage. We didn't say "everyone feel free to drink this
delicious fecal water if that's what they like, and damn the
politically correct brigade.

I'm happy to pay for my own medical treatment, and have in fact
contributed far more to the NHS over the years than I've ever had out.
From a recent thread, you'll know that I advocate more personal
responsibility as regards self-inflicted injuries and illness, and would
make people pay directly for their own treatment. That's the initiative
we need to reduce NHS dependence, not ridiculous interference with our
food based on spurious science.

Carry on eating your salt, and enjoy it. When you do get ill, I
assume that you'll practice what you preach and pay for all your
healthcare needs because your illness was caused by your careless
eating habits. I'm sure I can find you a medical practitioner to
certify as much.
But in my lifetime I've seen most foods encouraged, then vilified,
then encouraged again. Just to take a recent example, who knows now
whether eggs are good for you?

Or wine, or whiskey, or full fat milk, or butter. With so much
uncertainty in this world, let's go back to basics and eat and drink
whatever takes our fancy because nature knows best. Not.

Oh, I disagree. Nature does know best most of the time.

Old 20-02-2012, 07:19 PM posted to uk.legal,uk.rec.gardening,uk.politics.misc

On Mon, 20 Feb 2012 17:33:52 +0000, Norman Wells drooled:

harry wrote:
On Feb 18, 4:30 pm, charles wrote:
In article
,
harry wrote:

On Feb 18, 1:24 am, Ronald Tompkins wrote:
In every home!...Is the government hushing this dangerous chemical
up. Be warned!!
Don't forget that dangerous acetic acid!

and hydric dioxide - terribel stuff -

I think the correct name is dihydrous oxide.

No it isn't.

What a pity those who seek to blind with science don't actually know any
themselves.

What's even sadder is that it would take all of 2 seconds to find out the
correct chemical name for it using google, yet they don't even bother to
do that. It makes them look even more ****tish.

--
Airey
Old 20-02-2012, 09:02 PM posted to uk.legal,uk.rec.gardening,uk.politics.misc

On 2012-02-20, The Todal wrote:

I was amused to read those links which show that American salt manufacturers
and retailers are running scared and trying to disparage reports about the
dangers of eating too much salt. We've seen the same before, with sugar.
And cigarettes. American companies are ruthless when they see a chance of a
dip in profits.

I don't recall the exact details, but I read in a book by Michael
Pollan that when the US government's nutritionists & doctors studied
diet & health in the 1970s (I think, or maybe 1960s), they recommended
telling the public to eat less meat. This got into Congress but the
meat lobbyists went berserk, and the recommendation got changed to
"eat more vegetables". Since then, the big bad government has never
been able to tell the American public to eat less of anything --- they
can just advise them to eat more of something else.
Old 20-02-2012, 10:37 PM posted to uk.legal,uk.rec.gardening,uk.politics.misc

On Feb 18, 10:32*am, sutartsorric wrote:
On Feb 18, 9:04*am, "Norman Wells" wrote:

Ronald Tompkins wrote:
In every home!...Is the government *hushing this dangerous chemical
up. * Be warned!!

Thank goodness the schools go back on Monday.

Actually I am surprised there hasn't been more newsgroup bullshit this
half term

nope....just you as usual....time to get a job.....