Old 19-02-2012, 06:14 PM
Registered User

Default Westwood S1000 10HP Ride on Mower

Hi Folks
Hoping someone can help me. i have recently "inherited" a Westwood S1000 ride on mower with a B & S 10hp engine. I cant find anywhere in the manuals etc what the fuel/fuel mix is etc???
Old 20-02-2012, 08:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"lucylocket" wrote in message

Hi Folks
Hoping someone can help me. i have recently "inherited" a Westwood S1000
ride on mower with a B & S 10hp engine. I cant find anywhere in the
manuals etc what the fuel/fuel mix is etc???

You are absolutely sure that it is a 2 stroke engine?
Also, that if so there isn't any label on the fuel tank telling you what
mixture to use?

You would also need to give the year of the engine to be sure of the correct
information.

However I am having a struggle with Google to establish what the engine is -
nobody seems to think that it is important to say 2S or 4S.

[Not even bunny]

Helmuth von Moltke the Elder

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

Old 20-02-2012, 08:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"David WE Roberts" wrote in message

"lucylocket" wrote in message

Hi Folks
Hoping someone can help me. i have recently "inherited" a Westwood S1000
ride on mower with a B & S 10hp engine. I cant find anywhere in the
manuals etc what the fuel/fuel mix is etc???

You are absolutely sure that it is a 2 stroke engine?
Also, that if so there isn't any label on the fuel tank telling you what
mixture to use?

You would also need to give the year of the engine to be sure of the
correct information.

However I am having a struggle with Google to establish what the engine
is - nobody seems to think that it is important to say 2S or 4S.

Given that most of the engines here
http://www.briggsbits.co.uk/acatalog...rtblocks_.html
including both 10HP variants use the term OHV (which means OverHeadValve)
which in turn implies a 4 stroke engine I would expect that your engine is
probably 4 stroke, in which case there is no fuel mix and unless it is very
old it will run on standard unleaded.

If in doubt, consult your local B&S dealer or lawnmower shop.

Old 20-02-2012, 09:18 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

"David WE Roberts" wrote in ...

Given that most of the engines herehttp://www.briggsbits.co.uk/acatalog/Replacement_Engines_and_Shortblo...
including both 10HP variants use the term OHV (which means OverHeadValve)
which in turn implies a 4 stroke engine I would expect that your engine is
probably 4 stroke, in which case there is no fuel mix and unless it is very
old it will run on standard unleaded.

If in doubt, consult your local B&S dealer or lawnmower shop.

[Not even bunny]

Helmuth von Moltke the Elder

(\__/)
(='.'=)

If you have to put oil into the lower part of the engine then it's a 4
stroke and takes nortmal petrol.
Old 20-02-2012, 09:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Mon, 20 Feb 2012 20:28:46 -0000, David WE Roberts wrote:

If in doubt, consult your local B&S dealer or lawnmower shop.

Or wander over to the B&S website, check out the engine
identification page(s), look at your engine, get the relevant numbers
and download the manual. I doubt very much that a 10hp engine is a
two stroke.

Two strokes tend to be high reving and lowish power and used when the
angle of operation cannot be guranteed, which messes up the use of a
oil sump for lubrication, like in a chainsaw or brushcutter.

--
Cheers
Dave.