Old 26-02-2012, 02:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Tackling an overgrown allotment with a bad back

Jake wrote in
:

As to yesterday, I think it was about time we won at Twickers. Think
it was over 20 years ago that we last did it. I recorded the match and
spent the afternoon in the garden - that way if we'd lost I wouldn't
have had to watch! And not being a Cardiff City supporter (indeed
can't stand football) I'll be off out again now. Couple of apple
trees, some roses and yet more strawberries to plant and lots of seeds
to sow.

Cheers, Jake
=======================================
Urgling happily from the dryer end of Swansea Bay.

Enough of that. For now at least.
We are entering a time when 2012 will almost be like 1966 in as much that
"we were there"if only to give or take a few photos for our next
generation. And let us see how much terrorism is there. I think it is bound
to rear.

Baz
Old 26-02-2012, 05:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sun, 26 Feb 2012 05:51:40 -0800 (PST), Dave Hill
wrote:

As to yesterday, I think it was about time we won at Twickers. Think
it was over 20 years ago that we last did it. I recorded the match and
spent the afternoon in the garden - that way if we'd lost I wouldn't
have had to watch! And not being a Cardiff City supporter (indeed
can't stand football) *I'll be off out again now. Couple of apple
trees, some roses and yet more strawberries to plant and lots of seeds
to sow.

Cheers, Jake
=======================================
Urgling happily from the dryer end of Swansea Bay.- Hide quoted text -

Did you notice "BBC Won Wales" Last night Jake?
After a heavy morning shifting boxes and more gravel for the track I
had to recover by watching the rugby on the box.
David @ the wet end of Swansea Bay

Didn't watch any evening TV as by the time I'd finished doing what I
wanted to do, watching the recording of the match took me to bedtime.

I'm not sure about the disallowed English try though. But after today
it looks like we're heading for a nail-biting finish to the
championship.

Cheers, Jake
=======================================
Urgling happily from the dryer end of Swansea Bay.
Old 27-02-2012, 07:34 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Janet wrote:

Gary Woods has been posting good (and UK-relevant) gardening advice to
urg for many many years.

Does it help that I have a distant cousin in Reading?
(Probably canceled out by distant in-laws in county Tipperary).

Old 28-02-2012, 02:20 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Janet wrote in
:

In article ,
says...

Gary Woods wrote in
:

Baz wrote:

So the cardboard helps the Glyphosate?

No, the cardboard smothers whatever the glyphosphate didn't kill.
If you don't want the agent orange approach, run over the whole
thing with a good strong mower, then mulch heavily with cardboard,
dead leaves, anything that makes a barrier and will rot. If you do
this in the fall, a rotovator will finish the job in the spring.
Also a good way to convert useless sod into useful veg garden! (Am
I the only one who finds the garden space creeps into the lawn?)

Thought so!
Are you in the UK?
I think not.

So what? Being located in the UK is not a requirement. His advice
above
is perfectly relevent to UK gardeners.

If you give advice from another country, or even continent,
you should say so.

He does, every time. Try reading the post.

The USA has very different climate changes from us in
the UK.

Gary Woods has been posting good (and UK-relevant) gardening advice
urg for many many years.

Janet.

OK, Janet

Don't get all snotty about this.

Advice from a non UK poster COULD prompt a new gardener from the UK to take
advice from the wrong person, hence uk.rec.gardening.
In my thoughts any advice from any other continent other than the UK ought
to be considered as very wrong, thus inappropiate.

There is a group(within your reader.MicroPlanet-Gravity/3.0.4)
usa.rec.gardening. But I am sure you will not give your conservative views
there.

Baz

Old 28-02-2012, 03:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
says...

Janet wrote in
:

In article ,

says...

Gary Woods wrote in
:

Baz wrote:

[...]

You were the person getting snotty.. for no reason. A) that Gary is a
longtimne urger and B) the advice he gave has also been offered (many
times) by UK posters here, including me. That you have no recall of
either, reflects entirely upon yourself.

Advice from a non UK poster COULD prompt a new gardener from the UK to take
advice from the wrong person, hence uk.rec.gardening.

But you are NOT a new gardener, are you? So you don't have that excuse;
neither do you have any excuse to "protect" new gardeners from Gary's
advice which was relevant for the UK.

I suggest you re-read the charter of this group.

"posters from around the globe will be welcome to participate in or
initiate discussion of UK-relevant topics. "

And, the weekly abc to newcomers post.

"Contributors from outside the British Isles are not discouraged but,
because this newsgroup is intended to help gardeners in the British
Isles, it should be remembered that all questions and answers should
relate to a climate similar to that found in the British Isles"

Gary was fully compliant with both.

In my thoughts any advice from any other continent other than the UK ought
to be considered as very wrong, thus inappropiate.

You're overlooking that overseas posters may be uk expats, or just, well
informed about UK gardening issues.

There is a group(within your reader.MicroPlanet-Gravity/3.0.4)
usa.rec.gardening. But I am sure you will not give your conservative views
there.

Another fantasy misconception on your part.
The only thing "conservative" in my usenet posting history to gardening
groups, is to conserve natural soil structure and recycle resources.
That's as relevent to gardeners in the USA as it is here.

Janet
Old 28-02-2012, 05:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Baz wrote:

Advice from a non UK poster COULD prompt a new gardener from the UK to take
advice from the wrong person, hence uk.rec.gardening.

I humbly submit that bad advice is not the exclusive province of we
colonials, and that any denizen of the Internet at large who does not keep
several large grains of salt is in trouble! (Think political advice given
near closing at the pub...)
Most of the time I prefer to keep quiet and be thought a fool...
Particularly at this time of year, when spring is breaking out in the U.K.
and I have to clutch at straws ("I think that willow is definitely greening
up at the branch tips") for any hope at all.

Old 28-02-2012, 05:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Gary Woods wrote:
Baz wrote:

Advice from a non UK poster COULD prompt a new gardener from the UK to take
advice from the wrong person, hence uk.rec.gardening.

I humbly submit that bad advice is not the exclusive province of we
colonials, and that any denizen of the Internet at large who does not keep
several large grains of salt is in trouble! (Think political advice given
near closing at the pub...)

That is very true, and there are significant differences between
what is hardy in Cornwall, Cambridge and Caithness :-)

You are NOT one of the transpondians for whom the uk.rec.gardening
weather FAQ was written :-)

Most of the time I prefer to keep quiet and be thought a fool...
Particularly at this time of year, when spring is breaking out in the U.K.
and I have to clutch at straws ("I think that willow is definitely greening
up at the branch tips") for any hope at all.

As distinct from July, when we ask "Was that warm spell in May the
best weather we are going to see this year?"

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.