Old 27-02-2012, 10:17 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default I saw a young newt in my fishpond this morning

I thought fish were supposed to gobble them up? Since reading this
newsgroup I had given up hope of seeing them in that pond again. Maybe
my Shubunkins are too small to eat newts and are just eating a few
pellets at the moment, which seem to be about as big as they can
swallow. Maybe only bigger fish eat newts?

Last year I had a newt which was almost as big as my fish.
Unfortunately it tangled in my fountain impeller which had become
accidentally exposed. It can't happen again. Also last year I had lots
of baby newts.

Also, a cat tangled with my electric fence last night and sped off out
of my garden so fast you could hardly follow it on CCTV. Still no
foxes though.

Doug.
Old 07-03-2012, 11:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Doug" wrote in message
I thought fish were supposed to gobble them up? Since reading this
newsgroup I had given up hope of seeing them in that pond again. Maybe
my Shubunkins are too small to eat newts and are just eating a few
pellets at the moment, which seem to be about as big as they can
swallow. Maybe only bigger fish eat newts?

Last year I had a newt which was almost as big as my fish.
Unfortunately it tangled in my fountain impeller which had become
accidentally exposed. It can't happen again. Also last year I had lots
of baby newts.

I'd love to have a pond, but I have too many trees.

Also, a cat tangled with my electric fence last night and sped off out
of my garden so fast you could hardly follow it on CCTV. Still no
foxes though.

Why do you want foxes?

Old 08-03-2012, 08:08 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Mar 7, 11:01*pm, "Christina Websell"
wrote:
"Doug" wrote in message

I thought fish were supposed to gobble them up? Since reading this
newsgroup I had given up hope of seeing them in that pond again. Maybe
my Shubunkins are too small to eat newts and are just eating a few
pellets at the moment, which seem to be about as big as they can
swallow. Maybe only bigger fish eat newts?

Last year I had a newt which was almost as big as my fish.
Unfortunately it tangled in my fountain impeller which had become
accidentally exposed. It can't happen again. Also last year I had lots
of baby newts.

I'd love to have a pond, but I have too many trees.

You might be able to have a little pond. I also have a small pond, not
much larger than a kitchen sink, and it has had newts and frogs in it
during the Summer.

Also, a cat tangled with my electric fence last night and sped off out
of my garden so fast you could hardly follow it on CCTV. Still no
foxes though.

Why do you want foxes?

No I don't. They attack my pond and pot plants, etc., hence the
electric fence. My CCTV has shown two foxes getting a shock from it
and since then their daily visits seem to have died away, hopefully.

Doug.
Old 08-03-2012, 08:44 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Doug" wrote ...

I thought fish were supposed to gobble them up? Since reading this
newsgroup I had given up hope of seeing them in that pond again. Maybe
my Shubunkins are too small to eat newts and are just eating a few
pellets at the moment, which seem to be about as big as they can
swallow. Maybe only bigger fish eat newts?

Last year I had a newt which was almost as big as my fish.
Unfortunately it tangled in my fountain impeller which had become
accidentally exposed. It can't happen again. Also last year I had lots
of baby newts.

Also, a cat tangled with my electric fence last night and sped off out
of my garden so fast you could hardly follow it on CCTV. Still no
foxes though.

You are feeding your fish at this time?
Is the water temperature where you live over 50°F? My pond is still well
below that.
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

Old 09-03-2012, 03:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2012-03-08 08:44:03 +0000, "Bob Hobden" said:

"Doug" *wrote ...

I thought fish were supposed to gobble them up? Since reading this
newsgroup I had given up hope of seeing them in that pond again. Maybe
my Shubunkins are too small to eat newts and are just eating a few
pellets at the moment, which seem to be about as big as they can
swallow. Maybe only bigger fish eat newts?

Last year I had a newt which was almost as big as my fish.
Unfortunately it tangled in my fountain impeller which had become
accidentally exposed. It can't happen again. Also last year I had lots
of baby newts.

Also, a cat tangled with my electric fence last night and sped off out
of my garden so fast you could hardly follow it on CCTV. Still no
foxes though.

You are feeding your fish at this time?
Is the water temperature where you live over 50°F? My pond is still
well below that.

I haven't checked the water temp but our fish are hungry and rush
across the pond to the food we chuck in. We put only a little in at
this time of year but they obviously need it. *It helps keep them away
from the frogspawn, too!

Yes I am feeding my fish a little, which they are consuming, to avoid
them eating my newts, etc. The fish are very shy and don't appear when
I am around but I don't mind them keeping themselves safe. I check
them out on my CCTV. The only time I don't feed them is when there is
ice on the pond.

I had frogspawn one year before I had fishes but no tadpoles resulted
and I don't know what ate them and no tadpoles since.

Doug.

Unknown flower growing on fishpond Padraig Garden Photos 19 18-07-2007 07:20 PM
Oak in fishpond George Ponds 0 13-03-2006 09:00 AM
pH in watergarden/fishpond Tony Rivas Gardening 3 22-06-2004 06:04 PM
How to Have the Ultimate Backyard Fishpond Markb United Kingdom 17 20-04-2004 11:02 AM
How to Have the Ultimate Backyard Fishpond and Make Sure your Fish are Healthy and Happy Markb Ponds (alternative) 1 16-04-2004 09:04 AM